Pres Café
Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years (/showthread.php?tid=319)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - NickyBoy - 26-02-2023

(26-02-2023, 04:50 PM)Spencer Wrote:  
(26-02-2023, 02:35 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  That's true, they have made the person who chopped every millisecond of silence out of Steve's interviews.
Hi Steve,
Love the show! Why does none of your guests ever take a breath?

I've worked in the audio business for over 25 years, and its not unusual for breaths to be removed from pre-recorded audio, whether it's interviews, adverts or news & sport updates, it's a regular thing in radio to edit them out. Not sure what the big deal with Steve or his producer doing it for the interviews. 

I'd rather someone putting that much effort into making the show sound like Steve's did than some of the stuff that goes out on

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Spencer - 26-02-2023

(26-02-2023, 08:13 PM)NickyBoy Wrote:  
(26-02-2023, 04:50 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Hi Steve,
Love the show! Why does none of your guests ever take a breath?

I've worked in the audio business for over 25 years, and its not unusual for breaths to be removed from pre-recorded audio, whether it's interviews, adverts or news & sport updates, it's a regular thing in radio to edit them out. Not sure what the big deal with Steve or his producer doing it for the interviews. 

I'd rather someone putting that much effort into making the show sound like Steve's did than some of the stuff that goes out on
I worked in radio for a similar length of time, and, whilst I might have edited breaths from a short trail or ad, I’d never dream of editing them out of an interview, especially if it was to go out as live.

The only exception would be if there were any particularly loud or distracting breaths, and often in those circumstances I’d probably just drop the levels so as not to make the pace of speech sound unnatural. To my ears, editing all the breaths out of a long interview sounds plain weird. I find myself holding my own breath when listening to an interview given this treatment.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - London Lite - 01-03-2023

Bauer are once again replacing FM stations with Greatest Hits Radio in preparation for the arrival of Ken Bruce.

Lincs FM will move to DAB only with Greatest Hits replacing it on 102.2 FM from Belmont and the two FM relays in Scunthorpe and Grantham.

The station will also replace Kiss in Cambridgeshire, Suffolk and NE Essex. Kiss will continue on FM in Norfolk from the Tacolneston tx.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - m_in_m - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 06:37 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Bauer are once again replacing FM stations with Greatest Hits Radio in preparation for the arrival of Ken Bruce.

Lincs FM will move to DAB only with Greatest Hits replacing it on 102.2 FM from Belmont and the two FM relays in Scunthorpe and Grantham.

The station will also replace Kiss in Cambridgeshire, Suffolk and NE Essex.    Kiss will continue on FM in Norfolk from the Tacolneston tx.

Do we know why Kiss is remaining in Norfolk? This is positive for me as it has been a very long time since I've enjoyed the music on Kiss - probably since it ceased being Vibe FM.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - eyeTV - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 06:37 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Bauer are once again replacing FM stations with Greatest Hits Radio in preparation for the arrival of Ken Bruce.

The station will also replace Kiss in Cambridgeshire, Suffolk and NE Essex.    Kiss will continue on FM in Norfolk from the Tacolneston tx.

Not sure that Lincs FM will survive long on DAB only.  Has any other local station successfully transferred from analogue to DAB only? 

There must already be a big crossover of Greatest Hits on FM in Lincolnshire.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - London Lite - 01-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 07:03 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  

Do we know why Kiss is remaining in Norfolk? This is positive for me as it has been a very long time since I've enjoyed the music on Kiss - probably since it ceased being Vibe FM.

GHR already have small scale FM stations in Norwich, Great Yarmouth and North Norfolk which are largely covered by Kiss on 106.1.

It seems to be the latest tactic by Bauer by shaving off the relays to a main station as seen recently with Signal 1 who recently had their relays in East Cheshire and Stafford flipped to GHR while keeping the main high powered transmitter on with DAB as filler.

A small correction, Kiss along with Heart and BBC Radio Norfolk use Stoke Holy Cross.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Spencer - 02-03-2023

(01-03-2023, 07:06 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  

Not sure that Lincs FM will survive long on DAB only.  Has any other local station successfully transferred from analogue to DAB only? 
Not quite the same thing, but some of the teams made redundant in the big GHR rollout in September 2020 went on to launch DAB only stations almost identical in sound to those that were closed.

I’ve got a few friends/former colleagues at some of them and they all say they’re viable and doing well, albeit run on a shoestring compared to the former FM stations. So it can be done, albeit maybe with some belt tightening required.

Lincs’ audience figures have always been strong, so they must have a loyal audience who, if they value the service, I’m sure will follow the station to DAB or online. I don’t think not being on FM is necessarily a major handicap these days, given most listening is now digital.

Ultimately if Lincs continues to make money for Bauer on DAB, they’ll keep it open. But it’ll be interesting to see how things unfold.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Brekkie - 02-03-2023

That is the sad thing about the nationalisation of local radio - most of them were actually profitable. It's just the likes of Global, Bauer etc. wanted them to be even more profitable.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Steve in Pudsey - 03-03-2023

Lincs might need to do something about the name if they won't be on FM

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - London Lite - 03-03-2023

(02-03-2023, 10:04 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  That is the sad thing about the nationalisation of local radio - most of them were actually profitable. It's just the likes of Global, Bauer etc. wanted them to be even more profitable.

Yet there were some stations that relied on group support in the pre-Heart/Capital era.

Lincs is an interesting one as for years there were the only commercial alternative to Radio Lincolnshire, so quickly built up a loyal following and still has a 25% share in their market despite the extra choice provided by DAB. So it's really a test to see if listeners will move across to listening on DAB or stick with Greatest Hits on FM.

As mentioned by Spencer, there have been small budget locals that are descended from the previous local stations that were replaced by GHR on DAB such as This is the Coast and V2 Radio. This is the Coast will also operate the new SSDAB multiplex for the area.

SSDAB is the last throw of the dice for local commercial radio. It'll finally prove if listeners are really interested in local content via radio or they'll stick to the national commercial or BBC stations as they do now.