Pres Café
Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years (/showthread.php?tid=319)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Stooky Bill - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 01:36 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Lincs might need to do something about the name if they won't be on FM

Jazz FM hasn't been on FM since 2005
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_FM_(UK) 

(02-03-2023, 10:04 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  That is the sad thing about the nationalisation of local radio - most of them were actually profitable.  It's just the likes of Global, Bauer etc. wanted them to be even more profitable.

Were they? If they were I think it was diminishing - ad spend has been reducing for years and Covid didn't help. AIUI out of the ones Bauer bought a couple of years ago the only ones that made money were Pirate FM and Lincs FM, hence they were kept

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Omnipresent - 03-03-2023

It's much easier to sell a single national brand like Capital, Heart etc to advertisers than a portfolio of local stations, most of which were unknown to London based agencies. You can also invest more heavily in marketing and big name talent.

The current set up is a mess - it's partially a symptom of regulators in the 1990s deciding to use FM spectrum for more local / regional stations rather than an additional national station.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Newsroom - 03-03-2023

I fail to see what The BBC has to gain by basically telling Ken to get on his bike just 17 days early! How utterly ludicrous. The BBC really do themselves no favours at all.

Still, he is sure to enjoy a tremendous send off this morning. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64821817 

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Milkshake - 03-03-2023

It's because Ken announced he left and the new radio station is promoting this fact. The only ones to be blame is the BBC, Ken didn't move because of money, he was one of the highest paid people in the beep, Its clear as day Ken wasn't going to get the same contract he was on, and decided to jump ship so he could keep doing what he loves. If the BBC said hey ken you can keep doing mid morning I bet none of this would have happened..

(03-03-2023, 10:34 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  I fail to see what The BBC has to gain by basically telling Ken to get on his bike just 17 days early! How utterly ludicrous. The BBC really do themselves no favours at all.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - chris - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 10:57 AM)Milkshake Wrote:  It's because Ken announced he left and the new radio station is promoting this fact.  The only ones to be blame is the BBC,  Ken didn't move because of money,  he was one of the highest paid people in the beep,  Its clear as day Ken wasn't going to get the same contract he was on, and decided to jump ship so he could keep doing what he loves.  If the BBC said hey ken you can keep doing mid morning I bet none of this would have happened..

(03-03-2023, 10:34 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  I fail to see what The BBC has to gain by basically telling Ken to get on his bike just 17 days early! How utterly ludicrous. The BBC really do themselves no favours at all.

Ken said in his Radio 4 interview that he wanted to continue doing a “daily” radio show. I wonder if that was a hint at what was being offered at Radio 2?

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Brekkie - 03-03-2023

He made his bed and now he has to lie in it.  All the BBC are doing is changing the sheets a bit earlier than he expected.

And not sure how he makes finishing on the 3rd instead of the 24th "17 days".

An institution but like all broadcasting institutions when the time is right they're perfectly replaceable.   It would have been nice for him to see out his career at the BBC but circumstances haven't led to that.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - DavidWhitfield - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 12:18 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  He made his bed and now he has to lie in it.

He didn't get caught doing drugs in the toilets. He told the BBC that after decades of service, he was planning to leave when his current contract expires.

He was interviewed on Radio 4 and was asked directly about how he felt about the situation and how it was all handled and he simply said that he would have fulfilled his contract had it been up to him but noted that gardening leave is a well-known practice and that it's simply a case of fitting what he wanted to do into one week rather than three.

He's been very dignified throughout the whole affair. A consummate professional to the end.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Newsroom - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 12:35 PM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 12:18 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  He made his bed and now he has to lie in it.

He didn't get caught doing drugs in the toilets. He told the BBC that after decades of service, he was planning to leave when his current contract expires.

He was interviewed on Radio 4 and was asked directly about how he felt about the situation and how it was all handled and he simply said that he would have fulfilled his contract had it been up to him but noted that gardening leave is a well-known practice and that it's simply a case of fitting what he wanted to do into one week rather than three.

He's been very dignified throughout the whole affair. A consummate professional to the end.

Hear Hear! The BBC have allowed many many others to work out their contracts and it just stinks a little bit. Like you say - after decades of service to cut his notice short by a measly two weeks or so is tedious.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Ash101 - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 12:41 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 12:35 PM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  He didn't get caught doing drugs in the toilets. He told the BBC that after decades of service, he was planning to leave when his current contract expires.

Hear Hear! The BBC have allowed many many others to work out their contracts and it just stinks a little bit. Like you say - after decades of service to cut his notice short by a measly two weeks or so is tedious.

But shouldn't the BBC be allowed to protect their own product?

They've now got 3 weeks of Gary Davies on air without Ken 'on the other side' meaning that people can still enjoy a show on Radio 2 & may just forget about the second coming of Ken Bruce on the 3rd April.

He's lucky to be still working for the BBC so close to starting elsewhere. Global, for example, would've put someone on Gardening Leave as soon as they handed in the notice. I am imagine it happens in non media organisations as well, if you're heading to a competitor.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - i.h - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 02:42 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  I am imagine it happens in non media organisations as well, if you're heading to a competitor.

In my world (broadcast adjacent, I guess) they wouldn't, but that's because the commercially sensitive info is not time sensitive, a few weeks off isn't going to lead to you forgetting about things that may not go public for months. That's what an NDA is for.

In this case there is much more of a reason to put him on leave (and he probably wouldn't say no, he can still start planning for the new gig)