Pres Café
Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years (/showthread.php?tid=319)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Ash101 - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 03:18 PM)i.h Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 02:42 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  I am imagine it happens in non media organisations as well, if you're heading to a competitor.

In my world (broadcast adjacent, I guess) they wouldn't, but that's because the commercially sensitive info is not time sensitive, a few weeks off isn't going to lead to you forgetting about things that may not go public for months. That's what an NDA is for.

In this case there is much more of a reason to put him on leave (and he probably wouldn't say no, he can still start planning for the new gig)

Quite & he'll obviously be paid till the end of his contract as it was the BBC's decision to remove him from Radio 2 a few weeks early. He's in a win win situation really.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - PJamo - 03-03-2023

Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't it the case that when Susannah Reid decided to leave BBC Breakfast for GMB she was essentially put on gardening leave from the BBC until GMB started?  So there's precedent for gardening leave when a broadcaster leaves BBC to do the same job on a rival station, particularly when said broadcaster will be front and centre of the promotion of the rival product.

It's a bit different to e.g. Dan Walker leaving Breakfast for 5 News as that airs 8 hours after Breakfast finishes. 

Ultimately BBC have to protect 'the product' - it was never going to fly that Ken would sign off on Radio 2 on Friday and start GHR the following Monday with what sounds like a very similar show.

(I acknowledge that Susannah was on a break from Breakfast for the Strictly tour at the time the announcement was made, but there were several weeks between the tour ending and GMB starting when in ither circumstances she would have been back on the sofa.)

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Toby brown - 03-03-2023

What I have had enough off is old talent claiming ageism and slagging off new talent even though some of the presenters have had their time and it was time they moved on Liz Kershaw is the prime example of this

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Jon - 03-03-2023

I think it’s was the wrong call. Because it’s made the BBC look bad, in the eyes of its audience and it’s simply not in the licence payers interest to take talent off air because they’re about to start a show on a commercial broadcasters. You shouldn’t compare what the BBC do with a commercial operate would do because they’re not a commercial operator.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Dadeki - 03-03-2023

Quote:DJ Ken Bruce paid tribute to his listeners as he signed off from BBC Radio 2 after more than three decades of hosting the mid-morning show.

The Scottish presenter, 72, is leaving the network to join commercial station Greatest Hits Radio.

Bruce closed Friday's programme by playing Golden Slumbers by The Beatles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64821817 

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Spencer - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 08:37 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Were they? If they were I think it was diminishing - ad spend has been reducing for years and Covid didn't help. AIUI out of the ones Bauer bought a couple of years ago the only ones that made money were Pirate FM and Lincs FM, hence they were kept
This isn’t true. Many of the UKRD stations were highly profitable. Stray FM, for example, was an absolute cash cow for the group. Eagle also did particularly well, as did Yorkshire Coast who had the highest percentage audience reach of any station in the country.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Kim Wexler’s Ponytail - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 03:42 PM)Jon Wrote:  You shouldn’t compare what the BBC do with a commercial operate would do because they’re not a commercial operator.

??? The BBC is never not being compared to commercial operators. The BBC have been incredibly generous compared to many of the local talent Bauer have axed. This is all just the same as what’s going on with Jeremy Clarkson and millionaire. People have got their narrative and nothing can change it whether it fits in with reality or not. The BBC could have done what some seem to think they should have done and they still would have complained about something.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Jon - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 04:36 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 03:42 PM)Jon Wrote:  You shouldn’t compare what the BBC do with a commercial operate would do because they’re not a commercial operator.

??? The BBC is never not being compared to commercial operators. The BBC have been incredibly generous compared to many of the local talent Bauer have axed. This is all just the same as what’s going on with Jeremy Clarkson and millionaire. People have got their narrative and nothing can change it whether it fits in with reality or not. The BBC could have done what some seem to think they should have done and they still would have complained about something.
The BBC is being compared to commercial operators but that doesn’t make it one. To some extent the BBC should act in the interest of what the listeners would want. Yes, there could be ‘commercially’ sensitive information but if that was the issue he’d be gone right away.

There is a level of maturity one expects from the BBC over commercial operations. Just compare to how the BBC treated Neighbours when they lost the rights compared to how ITV treated Home & Away.

Ultimately making Bruce go early, has reflected badly on the BBC and not on Bruce or GHR. And they wouldn’t have made any commercial loses as a result of letting him serve out his contract. With the BBC the PR battle is just as important as the ratings battle and I’m afraid they’ve scored an own goal here.

For the record I also think the BBC should promote, although not overly, important sporting fixtures as being on commercial rivals, as it’s in the interest of the licence fee payer to know that.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Alf Stewart - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 03:42 PM)Jon Wrote:  I think it’s was the wrong call. Because it’s made the BBC look bad, in the eyes of its audience and it’s simply not in the licence payers interest to take talent off air because they’re about to start a show on a commercial broadcasters. You shouldn’t compare what the BBC do with a commercial operate would do because they’re not a commercial operator.

I doubt the majority of the listeners to Radio 2 will know, let alone care when Ken was due to finish or that he's finished a couple of weeks early.

If they wish they'll follow him to GHR, stay with Radio 2 or find something else to listen to. The world hasn't come to an end.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Newsroom - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 04:51 PM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 03:42 PM)Jon Wrote:  I think it’s was the wrong call. Because it’s made the BBC look bad, in the eyes of its audience and it’s simply not in the licence payers interest to take talent off air because they’re about to start a show on a commercial broadcasters. You shouldn’t compare what the BBC do with a commercial operate would do because they’re not a commercial operator.

I doubt the majority of the listeners to Radio 2 will know, let alone care when Ken was due to finish or that he's finished a couple of weeks early.

If they wish they'll follow him to GHR, stay with Radio 2 or find something else to listen to. The world hasn't come to an end.
It was covered on BBC Breakfast this morning following his interview with the Today programme.

https://twitter.com/bbcr4today/status/1631572611611123713?s=46&t=qlZU93-J_0_oXNJTdY1fOw