Pres Café
Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years (/showthread.php?tid=319)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Alf Stewart - 03-03-2023

The world's still spinning though...

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Jon - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 04:25 PM)Spencer Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 08:37 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Were they? If they were I think it was diminishing - ad spend has been reducing for years and Covid didn't help. AIUI out of the ones Bauer bought a couple of years ago the only ones that made money were Pirate FM and Lincs FM, hence they were kept
This isn’t true. Many of the UKRD stations were highly profitable. Stray FM, for example, was an absolute cash cow for the group. Eagle also did particularly well, as did Yorkshire Coast who had the highest percentage audience reach of any station in the country.
Whilst some commercial radio stations have closed in the past due to not being able to merge programmes with others. I think there is a tendency to pretend regional TV or local radio isn’t viable, when in reality what’s meant is it’s not as profitable as less regional TV and local radio.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Jon - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 04:51 PM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 03:42 PM)Jon Wrote:  I think it’s was the wrong call. Because it’s made the BBC look bad, in the eyes of its audience and it’s simply not in the licence payers interest to take talent off air because they’re about to start a show on a commercial broadcasters. You shouldn’t compare what the BBC do with a commercial operate would do because they’re not a commercial operator.

I doubt the majority of the listeners to Radio 2 will know, let alone care when Ken was due to finish or that he's finished a couple of weeks early.

If they wish they'll follow him to GHR, stay with Radio 2 or find something else to listen to. The world hasn't come to an end.
I agree, but the decision has made more of an issue out of it than it would have been.

As Ken said “it’s a bit of a shame for the sake of 17 days”.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - agentsquash - 04-03-2023

If they didn’t want anyone to notice they wouldn’t be making such a big fuss about it on the national TV bulletins.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - NickyBoy - 04-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 07:01 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(03-03-2023, 04:51 PM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  I doubt the majority of the listeners to Radio 2 will know, let alone care when Ken was due to finish or that he's finished a couple of weeks early.

If they wish they'll follow him to GHR, stay with Radio 2 or find something else to listen to. The world hasn't come to an end.
I agree, but the decision has made more of an issue out of it than it would have been.

As Ken said “it’s a bit of a shame for the sake of 17 days”.

I think it's more to do with the fact that Ken's face is all over Greatest Hits Radio's social media and website. Simon Mayo also said a couple of weeks ago that he was gooing to be off air for a day beacuase he was filming a TV advert with Ken, which when he is still employed by the BBC is a bit off if you ask me. That TV advert would likely to be on air while Ken was still at the BBC as well. 
I think the BBC and Ken to an extent were a bit naive about the process, expecting Ken to finish on 23rd March or whenever it was and then a week later pop up on Greatest Hits Radio, witout any advertising from Bauer. 

In the past, when a big name was leaving, there was a bigger gap between the end of the BBC show and them starting on commercial stations. Chris Evans finished on Christmas Eve and wasn't on Virgin until the end of Janaury, which was pretty much the same with Graham Norton. Simon Mayo left in the December,  and his new show on Scala wasn't announced until Janaury & didn't start until March the following year.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Jsnbts - 04-03-2023

Ken decided to leave and go to a competitor, I don’t really understand what else he expected to happen. When I left a previous company to go to their competitor I was immediately put on gardening leave for the rest of my notice period. It was great!

Anyway, I’m not really a fan of Ken’s so I’m looking forward to Radio 2 sounding a bit fresher in the future.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Brekkie - 04-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 03:42 PM)Jon Wrote:  I think it’s was the wrong call. Because it’s made the BBC look bad, in the eyes of its audience and it’s simply not in the licence payers interest to take talent off air because they’re about to start a show on a commercial broadcasters. You shouldn’t compare what the BBC do with a commercial operate would do because they’re not a commercial operator.

But had they kept him on air another week, another two, another three or indeed till the Friday before he started on GHR would it make much difference.   Ultimately he's finishing in March 2023 - given the length of his service the exact weeks make little difference.

Moving forward it'll be interesting how this impacts on Gary Davies - he's the most natural stand in for Ken but not so sure the same can be said about standing in for Vernon.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - NickyBoy - 05-03-2023

(04-03-2023, 09:25 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  

But had they kept him on air another week, another two, another three or indeed till the Friday before he started on GHR would it make much difference.   Ultimately he's finishing in March 2023 - given the length of his service the exact weeks make little difference.

Moving forward it'll be interesting how this impacts on Gary Davies - he's the most natural stand in for Ken but not so sure the same can be said about standing in for Vernon.

I think Gary will be the main cover for Zoe on Breakfast, which he has done a lot of previously.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - DavidWhitfield - 05-03-2023

Very intrigued to see how tomorrow's show will go with Gary - especially since tomorrow allegedly heralds the launch of a new mid-morning pop quiz on Radio 2. I think it's going to be a tricky one to get right; it's going to be hard to look like any new quiz in that slot is anything short of a Popmaster knock-off, but we'll see how it goes.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Jon - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 11:13 AM)NickyBoy Wrote:  
(04-03-2023, 09:25 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  But had they kept him on air another week, another two, another three or indeed till the Friday before he started on GHR would it make much difference.   Ultimately he's finishing in March 2023 - given the length of his service the exact weeks make little difference.

I think Gary will be the main cover for Zoe on Breakfast, which he has done a lot of previously.
The thing is if they’re going for a line up that’s meant to appeal people listening to Radio 1 20 years ago, Gary Davies sticks out like sore thumb so I can see them bringing some of other people in for daytime cover.