Pres Café
Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years (/showthread.php?tid=319)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - steve - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 08:46 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(05-03-2023, 11:13 AM)NickyBoy Wrote:  I think Gary will be the main cover for Zoe on Breakfast, which he has done a lot of previously.
The thing is if they’re going for a line up that’s meant to appeal people listening to Radio 1 20 years ago, Gary Davies sticks out like sore thumb so I can see them bringing some of other people in for daytime cover.

Yes, he’s a useful Ken - Vernon bridge but there’s a reason Vernon has been the go to stand in for Zoe of late.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - VMPhil - 05-03-2023

I think because Gary hasn’t been on the radio much since his Virgin 1215 days though, he still feels like a new Radio 2 signing rather than someone like Steve Wright, who joined only a few years after he left Radio 1 around the same time as Gary.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Brekkie - 06-03-2023

So Popmaster has been replaced by Ten to the Top, a completely different and original format in which two players answer 10 questions each for points.

A bit overly complicated which may hurt the playalong factor - basically each question is worth 1 point more than the last, but if you get one wrong the next question is then back to 1 point (though you don't lose points already scored). Also a Joker to be played per contestant which doubles the value of one question of their choice, before hearing the question.

Other than that the features of Ken Bruce's show such as the Love Song, Record of the Week and Album of the Week were all present today, as was Tracks of My Years. New Piano Room sessions were also announced today.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - South - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 01:07 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  So Popmaster has been replaced by Ten to the Top, a completely different and original format in which two players answer 10 questions each for points.

A bit overly complicated which may hurt the playalong factor - basically each question is worth 1 point more than the last, but if you get one wrong the next question is then back to 1 point (though you don't lose points already scored).    Also a Joker to be played per contestant which doubles the value of one question of their choice, before hearing the question.

Other than that the features of Ken Bruce's show such as the Love Song, Record of the Week and Album of the Week were all present today, as was Tracks of My Years. New Piano Room sessions were also announced today.
The scoring was the main issue with the quiz, I noted Gary himself said they were trying to create a spreadsheet to help keep track of them, so I can imagine it may evolve over the next few weeks.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - DavidWhitfield - 06-03-2023

Don't hugely mind the points going up incrementally if you're able to answer consecutive questions correctly but the joker seems like a needlessly complicated element. Once Gary had explained how the points work and then I heard "and, that's not all - there's also a JOKER, which players can..." I thought 'oh dear'; if you want something like this to be a success, you need to keep it simple and easily play-along-with-able for folks at home. I'd do away with the joker personally.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Ash101 - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 03:17 PM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  Don't hugely mind the points going up incrementally if you're able to answer consecutive questions correctly but the joker seems like a needlessly complicated element. Once Gary had explained how the points work and then I heard "and, that's not all - there's also a JOKER, which players can..." I thought 'oh dear'; if you want something like this to be a success, you need to keep it simple and easily play-along-with-able for folks at home. I'd do away with the joker personally.

This was my first thought too - the joker just makes it a little bit too complex for scoring.

You could easily write Q1 to 10 on a scrap bit of paper and tick or cross each one, then work out your score afterwards. It's no more complex than each Popmaster question being worth 3 points.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Spencer - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 01:07 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  A bit overly complicated which may hurt the playalong factor - basically each question is worth 1 point more than the last, but if you get one wrong the next question is then back to 1 point (though you don't lose points already scored).    Also a Joker to be played per contestant which doubles the value of one question of their choice, before hearing the question.
https://youtu.be/Ui3nyDvDm5k 

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Alessi - 06-03-2023

It amazes me that they sat down to think of how to do a simple, fun pop quiz and came up with the mess that is Ten To The Top. I know Ken has the rights to Popmaster but even most pub quizzes have a pop round that is fun and works. They have snatched defeat from the jaws of Victory.
I can't really think of any good points but bad points are:

Vastly over complicated scoring system. Lots of people on Twitter saying things like 'It's basic maths', but if it's not REALLY simple scoring then people can't be bothered to play along at home and tot up their scores - which was a big part of Popmaster.

The Joker adds to the complication.

Too many sound effects - they felt intrusive.

No 'end game' a la 'Three in 10'. It just sort of ends and falls flat.

Pre-recording it takes away the 'anything can happen' element which was again present with Popmaster.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - London Lite - 06-03-2023

The new R2 quiz is another open goal for Greatest Hits Radio and proves Ken and Phil Swern were right to own the rights to the Popmaster format.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - chris - 06-03-2023

I feel for those who devised it.

I can’t imagine they’ve had an awful lot of time, brought forward when Ken’s gardening leave was announced.