Pres Café
Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years (/showthread.php?tid=319)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - chris - 30-03-2023

(30-03-2023, 08:48 PM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  Ken was on Lorraine this morning where he confirmed (for the first time that I've seen) that Popmaster will be retaining its familiar 10:30am timeslot over on GHR.

Makes sense; playing along with Popmaster at 10:30am is part of many people's routine so it would seem silly to mess with it.

Really looking forward to Monday morning, I must say!

10:30 has been around for quite a while, including on Popmaster’s Twitter page. What is unclear is the range of music they’ll be covering. Will it be a 70s-90s only Popmaster?

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Brekkie - 31-03-2023

The BBC did the trick taking him off air early and killing the momentum of the story - feels like it'll be a quieter launch now.

And Gary Davies is doing a good job at proving the BBC were right not to give him the gig permanently, though he's still essentially doing Ken's show which I always think is a much harder ask than fronting your own format. Ten to the Top so far remains unchanged though - I get why they went for the same but different approach but think a format less comparable to PopMaster might have been better.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - London Lite - 31-03-2023

https://twitter.com/greatesthitsuk/status/1641821401756868608 

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - TheGregmeister - 03-04-2023

Popmaster about to start after the Bryan Ferry song playing now . . .

EDIT:
With a rather muted electronic remake of the classic Popmaster opening jingle/theme Pity they were unable to bring the classic version along to GHR!

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - DavidWhitfield - 03-04-2023

Well, that got off to a heck of a start. Quite unlike the demoralisingly low scores of Ten To The Top, a full house for player two in today's Popmaster. Impressive going. I fared less well (only eighteen points overall today), but I'm too pleased to have Ken back to care too much about that.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - TheGregmeister - 03-04-2023

So far the only thing that spoils this in comparison with when he was on BBC R2 is ... the incessant ad-breaks! (That's basically why I tend to avoid listening to commercial radio stations). Pretty much the only major difference in the proceedings overall, albeit a rather jarring one. Everything else is basically the same as it always was.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Brekkie - 03-04-2023

Yes, quite fun watching all those on Twitter who think we don't need the BBC now moaning about the adverts.

And might it be a mistake Ten to the Top being scheduled at the same time and perhaps acting as a call to switch to GHR for Popmaster for pop quiz fans.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/showbiz-news/ken-bruce-praised-genius-move-26619441 

Of course there are the regular promos for the ad-break free "Greatest Hits Radio Premium", so I do wonder what they put in place of the ads breaks on GHR Premium.
(I'm certainly not planning to submit my bank card details to find out!)

Meanwhile, a new segment called "Golden Years" (complete with the Bowie song o9f the same name) which I would assume is in place of the "Tracks of My Years" segment.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Spencer - 03-04-2023

I do think the ads will prove a barrier for some listeners. One of the reasons I often listened to Ken's Radio 2 show was it was a gentle, easy programme to listen to which flowed well, and wasn't too intrusive, so you could get on with work or a long drive whilst it was on in the background, and of course Ken's warm, amiable style was central to this.

But when you chuck in ad breaks, it kind of loses that key appeal for me. Maybe it's because I'm so used to hearing him without ads that they sound especially jarring right now. And I say that as someone who's spent most of my working life in commercial radio and played out years worth of ads.

But it's early days, and I wish Ken all the best with my old show. Wink

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - CATV - 03-04-2023

I am surprized by the lack of buzz. Popmaster trended but not much else. The twitter account only gained couple of hundred of people. It's like the only people who are bothered are the die hard fans and Bauer. Time will tell of course.

Any one know what rating Mark Goodier got?