Pres Café
Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years (/showthread.php?tid=319)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Toby brown - 20-01-2023

(19-01-2023, 02:50 AM)CATV Wrote:  Not all of Radio 3 is moving.

Chris Evans has lost listeners and now under a million.

It's reported that Ken will be on £500k at GHR.  There is no way Radio 2 could compete with that.  All the papers saying the BBC will regret letting him go will also be the same papaer saying they are over paying for Ken if they did pay him more. 

While some listners will move will Ken I think the majorty will stay as long as the BBC gets it right.  The BBC has talent left at Radio 2 and there also talent across BBC Radio including Local.  If the BBC gets this right  they might make GHR line up look stale.  Invest in training talent and alowing them to be creative and give them a good production team.  With all that and a bigger playlist and no ads they might just pull this off.  They done it before they can do it again.  Also launch Radio 2 Gold.
The bbc hasn't got enough money to launch a new radio station and is currently making budget cuts

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - all new phil - 21-01-2023

(20-01-2023, 10:17 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  I believed

* BBC Radio One was Remit was 16-24.
* BBC Radio Two was for Over 50s.

With people aged 25-50 given away to the commercial stations, Alot of people do think do this, hence why a good number of listens complained, doesn't mean there right it seems. .

Repeating something that is wrong won’t make it correct. It’s all there on the BBC website. Do you honestly think they’d stick Scott Mills on an over 50s station?

Radio 1 - 15 to 29
Radio 2 - 35 and over

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Gary Baldy - 21-01-2023

(19-01-2023, 04:40 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  I can’t imagine an effective unknown being given one of the biggest jobs on BBC Radio.
Again, Ken himself was a relative unknown from regional radio before landing the R2 slot and turning it into the prestigious slot it is today.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Milkshake - 21-01-2023

(21-01-2023, 12:18 AM)all new phil Wrote:  
(20-01-2023, 10:17 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  I believed

* BBC Radio One was Remit was 16-24.
* BBC Radio Two was for Over 50s.

With people aged 25-50 given away to the commercial stations, Alot of people do think do this, hence why a good number of listens complained, doesn't mean there right it seems. .

Repeating something that is wrong won’t make it correct. It’s all there on the BBC website. Do you honestly think they’d stick Scott Mills on an over 50s station?

Radio 1 - 15 to 29
Radio 2 - 35 and over

That's the point i'm trying to make now, What BBC current Remit say and what the public believes ( myself in included) is clearly different. Alot of people do think BBC Radio services are not geared toward them.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Newshound47 - 21-01-2023

(21-01-2023, 12:29 AM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  
(19-01-2023, 04:40 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  I can’t imagine an effective unknown being given one of the biggest jobs on BBC Radio.
Again, Ken himself was a relative unknown from regional radio before landing the R2 slot and turning it into the prestigious slot it is today.

Lee competiton in the 1980’s through. They wouldn’t risk it now.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Spencer - 21-01-2023

(21-01-2023, 12:29 AM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  

Ken did various off-peak and stand-in shows on Radio 2 for around five years after joining from Radio Scotland. He then did a year on breakfast before finally ending up on mid-mornings.

He also got moved to the late show for a couple of years in the early 90s before returning to his current show.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Stooky Bill - 22-01-2023

Thing is that this is just a repeat of what Radio 2 did 20 something years ago - it replaced the older DJs with younger ones. Out went the likes of Jimmy Young and John Dunn and Ed Stewart, and in came relative youngsters like Steve Wright, Jeremy Vine, Johnnie Walker Jonathan Ross and eventually Simon Mayo and Chris Evans.

Thing is that, for example, Steve Wright was 45 when he started his Radio 2 afternoon show, his replacement is almost 50

Zoe Ball was 48 when she took over Radio 2 Breakfast, Terry Wogan was 34 first time round.

Ken Bruce is 71, we don't know who's going to replace him yet (the BBC don't know either!) but Gary Davies must be favourite.... he's 65, Jo Whiley maybe, she's 57. Swap with Mark Goodier from GHR, he's 61

The audience being displaced by recent changes are those who wouldn't be listening had it not been for when the same thing happened before

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Gary Baldy - 23-01-2023

I actually think PopMaster would be a good opportunity for Steve Wright to weasel his way back into a R2 slot- yes, he’s on Greatest Hits now, but he still does a Sunday show on R2- he could switch his weekend show to Greatest Hits and do the Ken slot on R2. I don’t necessarily want him to do it- I’d prefer Gary too, but I think Steve would fit pretty well.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Pips2022 - 23-01-2023

(23-01-2023, 05:53 AM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  I actually think PopMaster would be a good opportunity for Steve Wright to weasel his way back into a R2 slot- yes, he’s on Greatest Hits now, but he still does a Sunday show on R2- he could switch his weekend show to Greatest Hits and do the Ken slot on R2. I don’t necessarily want him to do it- I’d prefer Gary too, but I think Steve would fit pretty well.

I must’ve missed the announcement where Steve Wright went to GHR ……

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Gary Baldy - 23-01-2023

Actually, when you think of broadcasters with very clear passion and dedication for music, the first person (besides Ken himself) that comes to mind for me is Gambo- but not sure he’d want to do a daily show- I think he’s fine with Counterpoint as his music show.