Pres Café
Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years (/showthread.php?tid=319)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Spencer - 23-01-2023

(23-01-2023, 09:39 AM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  Actually, when you think of broadcasters with very clear passion and dedication for music, the first person (besides Ken himself) that comes to mind for me is Gambo- but not sure he’d want to do a daily show- I think he’s fine with Counterpoint as his music show.
Sorry, but your suggestions are getting silly. They’re not going to take Steve Wright off afternoons because they think he no longer suits a daily, peak time show, only to put him back on mid-mornings a few months later. 

And as for Paul Gambaccini, they’re not going to replace Ken Bruce with someone older when the station is clearly shifting younger.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Stooky Bill - 23-01-2023

(23-01-2023, 08:39 AM)Pips2022 Wrote:  
(23-01-2023, 05:53 AM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  I actually think PopMaster would be a good opportunity for Steve Wright to weasel his way back into a R2 slot- yes, he’s on Greatest Hits now, but he still does a Sunday show on R2- he could switch his weekend show to Greatest Hits and do the Ken slot on R2. I don’t necessarily want him to do it- I’d prefer Gary too, but I think Steve would fit pretty well.

I must’ve missed the announcement where Steve Wright went to GHR ……
There's been some speculation about it ever since they sent our a post on social media which involved a 'no g'. Possibly he was in negotiations and they fell through so they pounced on Ken Bruce instead. 

Problem is now unless Steve did breakfast or they moved their local DJs (which they have to have) to breakfast there's nowhere for him in weekdays

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - VMPhil - 23-01-2023

(23-01-2023, 12:01 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  
(23-01-2023, 08:39 AM)Pips2022 Wrote:  I must’ve missed the announcement where Steve Wright went to GHR ……
There's been some speculation about it ever since they sent our a post on social media which involved a 'no g'. Possibly he was in negotiations and they fell through so they pounced on Ken Bruce instead. 

But are the staff who post to the social media accounts likely to be the same staff involved in contract negotiations?

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - James2001 - 23-01-2023

(23-01-2023, 05:53 AM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  I actually think PopMaster would be a good opportunity for Steve Wright to weasel his way back into a R2 slot- yes, he’s on Greatest Hits now, but he still does a Sunday show on R2- he could switch his weekend show to Greatest Hits and do the Ken slot on R2. I don’t necessarily want him to do it- I’d prefer Gary too, but I think Steve would fit pretty well.

This is the internet, where someone makes a comment, which then becomes "rumour", then "fact" all in the space of a few hours.

Though someone's mentioned Gambo- he actually does have a weekend show on GHR.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - steve - 23-01-2023

(23-01-2023, 05:53 AM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  I actually think PopMaster would be a good opportunity for Steve Wright to weasel his way back into a R2 slot

Well PopMaster is going with Ken to GHR, so that would be a struggle on many levels.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Brekkie - 24-01-2023

Quite telling too that Steve Wright hasn't yet been signed up by the commercial sector. Ken Bruce really is in a different league in his cross generational appeal and it's a shame on GHR he'll be restricted to a 20th century playlist.

It'll be interesting to see how late in March Ken finishes up at R2 considering he's on GHR from the first week in April, and whether there might be an agreement for one last Eurovision farewell in May.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - bilky asko - 24-01-2023

That makes the assumption that he wants to move into the commercial sector.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Newshound47 - 24-01-2023

Prehaps Steve Wright doesn’t want to do a regular weekday show anymore.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - DavidWhitfield - 24-01-2023

That may be the case and ultimately, none of us can know for sure. However, he certainly made it quite clear in the wording of his 'I'm leaving' speech on BBC Radio 2 back in the summer of last year that it was not his decision to leave his afternoon programme. Given he'd been doing it for over 20 years, I'd say he'd got into a good routine with it by now and would have continued on for years to come if he could. He wasn't especially my cup of tea, but he was very popular among many people and he seemed to be having a whale of a time on air.

RE: Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years - Steve in Pudsey - 24-01-2023

(24-01-2023, 06:39 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  That makes the assumption that he wants to move into the commercial sector.

He did have a stint in the commercial sector between Radio 1 and Radio 2, at the fledgling Talk Radio