Pres Café
Brookside to Stream on STV Player - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Brookside to Stream on STV Player (/showthread.php?tid=325)

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - WillPS - 07-06-2023

and 103 has the slowest credit crawl ever and an extended closing theme tune. Sounds bad.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - James2001 - 07-06-2023

Probably a way of stretching out an episode that underran.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - Alf Stewart - 07-06-2023

(07-06-2023, 06:14 PM)WillPS Wrote:  and 103 has the slowest credit crawl ever and an extended closing theme tune. Sounds bad.

Might be slow but it's better than the blink and you miss them credits you get these days. 

I love the extended theme. Was nice to hear it today. Its been a while since they used it though it was used a lot in the earlier episodes.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - Si-Co - 08-06-2023

(07-06-2023, 05:48 PM)WillPS Wrote:  Eps 101 and 102 (haven't got further, yet) have the blurriest credits yet. Strange because the rest of the episode doesn't seem to be any poorer in quality.

It's sometime soon the blue is banished in favour of a wide shot of the close isn't it?

The last episode to feature the blue credits sequence is 104. Episodes 105/106 were originally transmitted as an hour-long episode on 1st November 1983, because of special programming the following evening, C4’s first anniversary.

The Tuesday episode was shown with only one internal break at the end of Episode 105, but the Saturday omnibus had an extra break during what would have been episode 106. Interestingly, when UK Living showed episodes 105 and 106 (as two separate episodes) they placed the break after a different scene, suggesting they received the one-hour episode and had to re-edit it.

I haven’t watched Episode 105 on STV yet - does it have the new-style closing credits? It did on the UK Living edit.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - Brekkie - 08-06-2023

It has the close background but a rather odd white stencil font rather than yellow text.

Got a full ad break every episode and ads between episodes this week which makes it a tougher watch - the light ad load has been a factor in me sticking with it too. You watch the ads too when you know there are only a couple.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - James2001 - 08-06-2023

I don't think the text on the end credits ever goes yellow, it stays in that stencil style until 1987, then it's solid white until they change the look of the credits entirely in 1999.

Just watched episode 99 (yes, I'm still behind!) and interesting to see they actually filmed on a real plane in the air, that's not something you see much on TV.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - Si-Co - 08-06-2023

I also noticed that, although the ad-break of Episode 105 is taken at the same place on UK Living and STV, the text on the captions differ (Living have used an alternative font), and the break sting and cross-fades occur at different points. We will probably see anomalies on Episode 106 too. The Ep 105 credits in both cases seem to be taken from the end of the hour-long Episode 105/106.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - WillPS - 08-06-2023

Now we've seen the stencilled credits, I presume the hastily inserted credit from Episode 99 and 100 was added after the credit sequence for 104 was generated, since the outlined style sort of matches what we see in 105/106. Perhaps that explains why it was hastily inserted rather than just regenerating the whole lot too.

What equipment would have been used to generate these things in 82/83? I presume later on a lot of this stuff was done with Amigas.

EDIT: Just tried to get some screengrabs of this for the benefit of the thread. Unfortunately STV Player's website still lacks a 'Watch Credits' option! You can see the dodgy UK Living 'End of Part One'/'Part Two' boards here: https://youtu.be/mq7k47X1Gc0?t=6269 

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - James2001 - 08-06-2023

The fact Brookie's credits were electronically generated itself puts it ahead of the other soaps in 82/83 who were still clearly using physical caption cards and credit roller, and did well into the decade (the cardboard end of part one/part two and Granada endcaps were still appearing on Corrie until 1989!) Eastenders had electronically generated credits at the start, but watching the first series of Casualty on Drama, the credits look a bit wonky like they're still on a roller.

The Brookside endcap still used the same colour scheme as the first year of end credits up until the 1999 revamp.

(08-06-2023, 06:48 PM)WillPS Wrote:  EDIT: Just tried to get some screengrabs of this for the benefit of the thread. Unfortunately STV Player's website still lacks a 'Watch Credits' option!

If you watch the video full screen via the STV website, the next episode pop up doesn't appear and you can watch the credits in full.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - James2001 - 10-06-2023

A very young Jim Carver in episode 101!

If the date attatched to the episode is correct (18/10/1983), then it's 2 days and 2 months after Woodentop, and 2 days short of one year before the first episode of The Bill properly.