Pres Café
Brookside to Stream on STV Player - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Brookside to Stream on STV Player (/showthread.php?tid=325)

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - James2001 - 31-08-2023

Episode 242 isn't there on the ways I'm accessing the STV player (Virgin, Roku and web). There's still ads during the episodes on all of those platforms as well.

I wish I had access to Sky as it seems to have some advantages over the STV Player apps elsewhere to watch Brookside, no adverts and I think it's 50i as well, but nobody I know even has Sky any more (the ones who did have all moved to Virgin!).

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - WillPS - 31-08-2023

I've taken the plunge and subscribed. The ads were doing my head in and I figured £1/week to support 2 and bit hours of content which I'm really enjoying is no big deal.

I do admit I'm not HUGELY bothered about the adverts, in fact considering when Brookside first started you'd often only get 1 or 2 ads in an episode, and they were often for Scotland-only services, whereas now you're getting several and they're UK-wide suggests that it's being successful for STV.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - Stuart - 31-08-2023

(31-08-2023, 09:44 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Episode 242 isn't there on the ways I'm accessing the STV player (Virgin, Roku and web). There's still ads during the episodes on all of those platforms as well.

I wish I had access to Sky as it seems to have some advantages over the STV Player apps elsewhere to watch Brookside, no adverts and I think it's 50i as well, but nobody I know even has Sky any more (the ones who did have all moved to Virgin!).
I've just watched Ep242, and they have definitely skipped 9 months. It's obvious because someone has already had a previously unmentioned baby and there are new characters. It's also copyrighted as 1985.

How strange. It seems odd, so perhaps it's just an uploading error by STV Player to Sky rather than a gap in their online rights.

The PQ is certainly 50i on Sky as it's downloaded rather than streamed. I think my 4K TV also tries to upscale things when it can.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - Nobby - 31-08-2023

(31-08-2023, 10:26 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I do admit I'm not HUGELY bothered about the adverts, in fact considering when Brookside first started you'd often only get 1 or 2 ads in an episode, and they were often for Scotland-only services, whereas now you're getting several and they're UK-wide suggests that it's being successful for STV.

No it doesn't, it suggests you have been successful for STV. The adverts are aimed at you, not the programme. They obviously have advertisers that want to target a

[list]
[*]Non-Scottish
[*]22 year old
[*]Male
[/list]

As you meet all three criteria (and probably many other data points), you get the adverts targeted at that demographic whether you are using STV Player to watch a niche Liverpudlian soap from the 1980s or the latest episode of popular gameshow The Chase.

(31-08-2023, 10:42 PM)Stuart Wrote:  The PQ is certainly 50i on Sky as it's downloaded rather than streamed.

Hopefully they'll bring 50fps in on the apps sooner rather than later. Even if they require you to pay for the VIP service for it, I'd pay just for that!

I presume the 1985 episode is just a mistake, especially as it's not on any of the other platforms, or maybe it's an intentional "look forward". I doubt it's a skipping ahead of 9 months (and I'll be irritated if it is!).

(31-08-2023, 10:48 PM)Nobby Wrote:  No it doesn't, it suggests you have been successful for STV. The adverts are aimed at you, not the programme. They obviously have advertisers that want to target a

[list]
[*]Non-Scottish
[*]22 year old
[*]Male
[/list]

As you meet all three criteria (and probably many other data points), you get the adverts targeted at that demographic whether you are using STV Player to watch a niche Liverpudlian soap from the 1980s or the latest episode of popular gameshow The Chase.

I'm not 22 years old, or anything approaching it. I wish I was, but I'm closer to 40 than 30, and closer to 50 than 22...

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - WillPS - 31-08-2023

Very much doubt 50fps is coming. I think the fact it's that frame-rate on Sky's legacy Sky+HD is probably just due to the slightly weird way that platform retrieves on demand content (it doesn't have apps per se, just branded 'channels' which content is sorted in to - same reason there's no Netflix).

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - bilky asko - 01-09-2023

Though it does mean I have the choice between the app or downloads on Sky Q - I downloaded an episode about constipation (Delayed Strain) on Sky Q, and I've been enjoying it in 50fps and with no adverts.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - gottago - 01-09-2023

Fyi for anyone who’s got it there’s currently a 3 month free trial of STV+ via Sky VIP.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - James2001 - 01-09-2023

Episode 163 another one where they've taken static shots of the end credits. I know we've assumed this is due to tape damage, though there never seems to be any damage elsewhere on the episodes, seems strange that only the credits get affected.