Pres Café
Brookside to Stream on STV Player - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Brookside to Stream on STV Player (/showthread.php?tid=325)

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - WillPS - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 12:07 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Episode 163 another one where they've taken static shots of the end credits. I know we've assumed this is due to tape damage, though there never seems to be any damage elsewhere on the episodes, seems strange that only the credits get affected.

Possibly the episode content is being assembled from an omnibus copy?

Unusually for that one they let the credits run after the final newly created slide and it was indeed a bit distorted.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - James2001 - 01-09-2023

(31-08-2023, 11:48 PM)WillPS Wrote:  Very much doubt 50fps is coming. I think the fact it's that frame-rate on Sky's legacy Sky+HD is probably just due to the slightly weird way that platform retrieves on demand content (it doesn't have apps per se, just branded 'channels' which content is sorted in to - same reason there's no Netflix).

Though the fact it's 50i on Sky does at least show that STV go through the whole process of editing the episodes and putting them on their systems in 50i, even though it is only intended for the player. It at least leaves the possibility they could alter how the app streaming versions are derived from the master files to be 50p rather than 25p at some point in the future. Whether that ever happens or not is up for debate, but it does show at least they aren't putting 25p master files into their system.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - James2001 - 03-09-2023

You can see someone in the garden behind numbers 9 and 10 in episode 165. I think those houses were part of the production as well, so I presume it's an extra rather than a resident who just happened to get on camera.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - WillPS - 06-09-2023

I'm not the best at telling, but it looks to me like the refresh rate on the YouView version of the app is better than the Android/Roku version I'm used to. Couldn't tell you for certain if it's 50fps or what tho.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - James2001 - 06-09-2023

Sadly I don't have access to that to judge, I only have access to Virgin, Roku and the website.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - James2001 - 10-09-2023

The stupidly long "Formerly Huntingdon" part of Heather's credit has gone in this batch of episodes.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - Alf Stewart - 10-09-2023

(10-09-2023, 12:01 PM)James2001 Wrote:  The stupidly long "Formerly Huntingdon" part of Heather's credit has gone in this batch of episodes.

It was such an odd thing to do. Heather even referenced several times that she'd changed her name back to Haversham when that whole silly saga with Roger's solicitor writing to her at work (and her from Howard's Way stuck her oar in) so it's not like anyone with half a functioning brain cell wouldn't have known who the credits referred to if she was just listed as Heather Haversham.

It was even more bizarre that they ran them like that for several weeks too.

EastEnders should do it for Sharon Watts-Mitchell-Watts-Rickman-Watts-Beale-Watts.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - Brekkie - 10-09-2023

I could understand doing it for a week or so but it must have been on air a good couple of months. Wonder if the TV Times cast lists did the same.

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - Si-Co - 14-09-2023

(10-09-2023, 07:07 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I could understand doing it for a week or so but it must have been on air a good couple of months.  Wonder if the TV Times cast lists did the same.

No - she remained Huntington in the TV Times until episode 145 (when she left for Ireland) and was listed as Haversham when she returned around episode 156.

I’ve noticed a few episodes that appear to have the wrong set of closing credits attached, listing characters who didn’t appear. I assume these have been swapped due to tape damage as there were rarely any such anomalies on the original run (that I can recall, anyway). 

I have been meaning to point out something else I found interesting. The Saturday omnibus had two breaks - one was always at the end of the first episode, and the other would be at the original break from either the first or second episode. To avoid a “jump forward” in the action, they would always retain the break if the same characters or location appeared either side of it. Normally this practice worked fine, and one or other of the breaks could be cut out without characters teleporting across Liverpool, but in episodes 131 and 132 (which dropped a while ago now, I know), the pre and post-break scenes in both episodes featured the same characters and the scenes couldn’t be swapped around without affecting the story (a way to get around this I believe they occasionally did if necessary). So, in the omnibus we got an extra scene halfway through episode 132, featuring Alan getting ready for his night out singing “Roll Out the Barrel” and his mother looking in on him, unimpressed. That’s the only occasion I’m aware of that the omnibus featured an extra scene!

Episodes 155 and 156 had a similar situation where the same characters featured at both sides of the break in both episodes. Again, the scenes couldn’t easily be swapped so in episode 156, when the police arrive and chase Barry into the back garden, they just hold on the last shot a little longer and lead in with the dialogue from the next scene when he is being questioned (a practice very common now but for different reasons).

RE: Brookside to Stream on STV Player - WillPS - 20-09-2023

Bing Crosbie's actor makes an early appearance in Ep 176