Pres Café
Freeview PSB3 HD Regional Arrangements - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Industry News, Technology and Facilities (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Freeview PSB3 HD Regional Arrangements (/showthread.php?tid=337)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Freeview PSB3 HD Regional Arrangements - Stooky Bill - 21-03-2023

Kind of

There's a 'network' BBC One - in fact there's two these days as there's a BBC One North. This has News Channel in the regional slots (except during Breakfast where there isn't a News Channel) and for programmes like Sunday Politics and This Is England it has one of the regions programmes.

The England HD version and the new SD Nightlight version are essentially opt outs of the network - blanking the regional news. It's just instead of it being an opt out from a regional studio they're just additional outputs from the playout automation.

However with the roll out of HD regions and the increasing integration of BBC London into the national news operation I think London will soon be the default as it was pre-2000. The big difference these days is that if a region can't do it's bulletin then, because its all centralised, there is a way to switch region A's outpit onto region B. There's less chance of London News appearing elsewhere

RE: Freeview PSB3 HD Regional Arrangements - London Lite - 21-03-2023

The HD switch on Freeview made the news in brief on Channel Islands News. A brief mention that some viewers may have to retune to watch.

RE: Freeview PSB3 HD Regional Arrangements - Jimbo2022 - 22-03-2023

I think the unhidden bbc1 network IE what would happen if no red slate happened would be

Breakfast - London
Lunch - News Channel (Sportsday)
Evening - London
Late - London
Weekend - News Channel
Sunday Politics as broadcast

RE: Freeview PSB3 HD Regional Arrangements - Stooky Bill - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 11:35 AM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  I think the unhidden bbc1 network IE what would happen if no red slate happened would be

Breakfast - London
Evening - London
Late - London
Weekend - News Channel
No I think its News Channel for everything except Breakfast. Its what you see if your regional news fails mid-programme or with no notice, which thankfully is fairly rare

RE: Freeview PSB3 HD Regional Arrangements - Robert Williams - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 11:50 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  
(22-03-2023, 11:35 AM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  I think the unhidden bbc1 network IE what would happen if no red slate happened would be

Breakfast - London
Evening - London
Late - London
Weekend - News Channel
No I think its News Channel for everything except Breakfast. Its what you see if your regional news fails mid-programme or with no notice, which thankfully is fairly rare
Surely it is now BBC London at 6.30 and 10.30?  Ever since it moved to Studio B last October, London viewers have had a gap of about two seconds before the regional news starts, whereas the regions begin much more quickly, as does Sportsday, implying that it is London that is now carried on network at those times.

A few weeks ago there was an occasion when BBC London began much more abruptly than usual, and Scotland and Wales both caught a quick glimpse of the London presenter before their programmes started.

Additionally, during the headlines sequence, the final national headline caption can still be seen sliding away when the London presenter has appeared on screen.  Sportsday continues to be the default at lunchtime.

RE: Freeview PSB3 HD Regional Arrangements - Transmission - 22-03-2023

Message just popped up on my Freeview box to rescan, possibly a bit prematurely as it's still come back with the usual BBC One HD.

EDIT: Hang about, seems my Humax box has stuck it on channel 805, presumably to preserve my prevously set up recordings. Right then, time to fix that...

RE: Freeview PSB3 HD Regional Arrangements - Aaron - 22-03-2023

A Samsung TV dealt with it without a scan although popped up a network change message, and has put ‘BBC ONE Lon HD’ on 101 automatically. Humax however needed some manual intervention!

RE: Freeview PSB3 HD Regional Arrangements - London Lite - 22-03-2023

I also have BBC One Lon HD on PSB3.

(22-03-2023, 12:34 PM)Robert Williams Wrote:  
(22-03-2023, 11:50 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  No I think its News Channel for everything except Breakfast. Its what you see if your regional news fails mid-programme or with no notice, which thankfully is fairly rare
Surely it is now BBC London at 6.30 and 10.30?  Ever since it moved to Studio B last October, London viewers have had a gap of about two seconds before the regional news starts, whereas the regions begin much more quickly, as does Sportsday, implying that it is London that is now carried on network at those times.

A few weeks ago there was an occasion when BBC London began much more abruptly than usual, and Scotland and Wales both caught a quick glimpse of the London presenter before their programmes started.

Additionally, during the headlines sequence, the final national headline caption can still be seen sliding away when the London presenter has appeared on screen.  Sportsday continues to be the default at lunchtime.
The two second gap was always there before Studio B, it was just it didn't affect BBC London before as they could start whenever. Now they have to wait for everyone to opt out as their bulletin comes from the same studio. That includes 'network' BBC One who cut away from Studio B to take the News Channel 

So Studio B goes from being a source into BBC One to a opt out of BBC One. 

If Scotland or Wales caught a bit of BBC London then possibly London started a bit early and both them and the Network BBC One were caught out. The thing about the end of the news is that it's a manual take for everyone - both those opting out and the director who's taking the next event which simultaneously puts News Channel on BBC One, and the red slates on HD England and SD Nightlight. The nations and Red Bee use the same playout system and I believe there is a few seconds delay in pressing take and it actually taking the next source so it has to be timed well

Caveat - I'm pretty sure this is the case, I've not been in a position to see what happens at 6:30 for a few weeks

So being in a region that got its HD today, I right in saying that those regions that haven't still get the HD red slate?

Or is the 'macro region' situation that was speculated on a few months back happened?