Pres Café
The Late Late Show to end after 28 years - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The Late Late Show to end after 28 years (/showthread.php?tid=340)

Pages: 1 2

The Late Late Show to end after 28 years - W. Knight - 08-02-2023

CBS' Late Late Show might end after Corden, to be replaced by a reboot of @midnight, originated on their sister channel Comedy Central:

Quote:CBS is expected to replace its long-running “Late Late Show” after a 28-year run with a reboot of the Comedy Central game show “@midnight,” according to a person familiar with the matter, in a maneuver that would cut costs and also revive a programming concept controlled by the network’s’ parent company, Paramount Global.

CBS had been considering as many as five different concepts with which it could replace Corden’s show, according to a third person familiar with recent discussions. Among those who were pitching CBS ideas were Fulwell73, the production company behind Corden’s program, and Ben Winston, one of Fulwell’s senior executives and a top producer at “Late Late Show.” Fulwell grew less interested in discussions when CBS’ plans for reductions in its production budget became better known. according to one of the people familiar with the matter.

Chris Hardwick, the original host of “@midnight,” is not believed to be in the running to host the new edition, according to one of the people familiar with discussions. CBS is said to prefer a female host, and is also pushing to make sure that talent in front of and behind the camera is diverse and hails from a range of backgrounds.
(Variety)

RE: The Late Late Show to end after 28 years - chaose - 08-02-2023

The show died when Craig Ferguson left, let's be honest.

RE: The Late Late Show to end after 28 years - Gary Baldy - 09-02-2023

I agree- Corden was such a random person to choose to crack America- I’ve spent a fair amount of time there, and it’s always baffled me how he managed to get that gig. There are so many talented American comedians (who don’t get given the platform over there due to lack of panel shows, hence the “Americans aren’t funny stereotype”- the ones in the mainstream aren’t, but there are a few that perform at little comedy clubs who are hilarious) who would have made far more sense to liven the show up- instead they chose some obscure sitcom actor- Gavin and Stacey was a moderate hit here (I don’t mean the Christmas special revival a few years ago which was massive but as a series, I don’t think it ever hit any crazy heights) and a show no-one knew in the states- who was the exec that gave Corden that gig? It seemed to pay off fairly well for him (Carpool Karaoke was good fun) but I think James became much more arrogant after the American fame- there’s a real disconnect between him and the viewers now. Some celebs it makes sense to try and cross the pond- the likes of Simon Cowell, Gordon Ramsay, even Piers Morgan- because they’re the stereotype of the “evil Brit” that Americans love- then there’s the polished presenters such as Ant and Dec where even though they didn’t crack it successfully they were right to try them out because when it comes to natural hosting ability, there’s no-one better. Cat Deeley made sense- she fits the American image- they like having pretty ladies on screen- and her accent is very neutral- you can only really hear a slight Brummie twang. Craig Ferguson worked well because despite him being Scottish himself, he managed to adapt to the American market- and got their humour, whilst retaining his own unique style- I’m not sure they’d want him on there nowadays though- I feel Americans seem to get offended more easily than us Brits and that form of brutal humour doesn’t really go down too well in America, with the exception of those crap comedy roasts that are literally just hurling insults without any wit or structure to them- UK roasts better, because our roast jokes are actually layered and not just lazy “yo mama” jokes:

Then there’s the random ones like Corden, like Cheryl (the band she was in didn’t even crack the charts in the states, let alone them being able to recognise any individual member- though again like A&D her accent didn’t help- though I think she has a rather soft Geordie tone), like Steve Jones (why on earth would you pick Steve Jones of all people to go off to the states? It’d be like us getting Nyle DiMarco or some random model to host a show in the UK where nobody knows him), like Len Goodman (he doesn’t really have that “evil Brit” character to him- as much as DWTS producers treat him that way, he’s just a traditionalist grumpy fuddy-duddy but hardly a villain- I also think his sense of humour is very British so I’m surprised they thought he was a good fit all those years ago), like McIntyre (his humour’s very old-school variety, which again is far too British for the US audience to really “get”). Corden had a good run as host of the Late Late Show but 8 years is more than enough- he was lucky to get 2 or 3 to be honest- I remember being baffled by it when it was first announced he got the American job- I think most people were thinking he wouldn’t last 5 seconds, whereas now they’re wishing America would keep him. I wonder will James’s departure help rid him of this newfound ego? Will we get the old James Corden back- the lovable Smithy one, the funny League of their Own one? I hope so, but I’m not sure. As long as they don’t use his return to the UK as an attempt to resurrect the Nightly Show, you’re alright.

RE: The Late Late Show to end after 28 years - James2001 - 09-02-2023

He always came across as arrogant to me, even before he got the US gig. I couldn't stand him even in the Gavin & Stacy days.

RE: The Late Late Show to end after 28 years - mouseboy33 - 09-02-2023

FYI Michael McIntyre hosted the US version of his show The Wheel. It was scheduled nightly in primetime across a couple of weeks in December on NBC. NBC has a history of doing big unusual glitzy gameshows for a few weeks in Primetime. And some come back the following year and some dont. I guess we will see if The Wheel gets the same treatment. Notice it says "introducing" Michael McIntyre, as he completely unknown by the majority of the North American audience. Interestingly no Canadian network picked it up to air. But likely due to population locations in BC, ON, QC it could be seen on NBC border stations in Seattle, Detroit, Buffalo, VT, NH etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhqpHCr5X10 

RE: The Late Late Show to end after 28 years - XIII - 09-02-2023

James Corden did have success on Broadway with One Man Two Guvnors so he was known in America and he had done Into the Woods as well so while he wasn't the most obvious choice, I can see why they chose him.

RE: The Late Late Show to end after 28 years - Larry the Loafer - 09-02-2023

The fact that they'd made the show so appealing to a mainstream audience was detrimental to the brand, in my opinion.

AIUI the original conception was to have a laid-back companion to The Late Show just before the viewers went to bed. I know little about Craig Kilbourn but I'm guessing he appealed to a more niche audience as opposed to the broad appeal of Letterman.

I don't think Craig Ferguson was "American" in his humour at all - it was his own brand. He was very much surreal and something of a loose cannon before he decided to relocate to the States. In his first couple of years, he went very much against the grain of your typical Late Night host; he was an open book, he was relatively unscripted, and the conduct of his interviews would eventually resemble something from an improv show rather than a mere plug for a film or show. There are a handful of short video essays on YouTube that draw attention to this, and this is how he gathered a very devoted cult audience. AFAIK the show received next to no publicity from CBS, and the fans either heard about the she via word of mouth or, like myself, found it by complete accident.

Compare that to Corden's tenure, where their social media game has been crucial to its success. Ferguson had no such game, so much so that it was down to very dedicated fans on YouTube keeping an archive of the show and its memory alive. Granted, Corden's TLLS seemed to go for the mainstream from Day 1; he appeared to have played straight from the same playbook as Jimmy Fallon complete with curtain, band, and countless forced games. It was the antithesis of the entire TLLS brand of relaxed and/or alternative late night entertainment. Any attempt to relaunch it with a new host will result in something almost identical to what we already have - it's worked, it's made money, and CBS will be reluctant to change that.

Some of us would've been quite happy with the simple pleasures of Daffy Dook...

RE: The Late Late Show to end after 28 years - all new phil - 09-02-2023

I take it US version of The Wheel was filmed in the UK?

And on that… is That’s My Jam filmed in the US? I don’t know why but it just gives that vibe.

RE: The Late Late Show to end after 28 years - DeMarkay - 09-02-2023

(09-02-2023, 09:03 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I take it US version of The Wheel was filmed in the UK?

And on that… is That’s My Jam filmed in the US? I don’t know why but it just gives that vibe.

Yes it is.

RE: The Late Late Show to end after 28 years - Jon - 09-02-2023

I thought the US Wheel was filmed in the US, as I thought I’d read something about McIntyre going out to film it there. But wouldn’t be surprised if it was recorded here.

On a similar note, I assume that ITV version of Next Level Chef was filmed on the US set given it must have cost a fortune to build?