Pres Café
BBC iPlayer - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Online Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: BBC iPlayer (/showthread.php?tid=35)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: BBC iPlayer - JACKLUFC1998 - 03-08-2023

(03-08-2023, 02:37 AM)James2001 Wrote:  Considering Rolf Harris is in that episode, it would be more surprising if it was there.

Yes, and also iPlayer has the flashback episode from 2004 that for some reason isn't on the My Family series 5 DVD.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Brekkie - 03-08-2023

Is a shame the indiscretions of one guest performer cancels the work of everyone else involved in that episode.

I've started watching Not Going Out from the beginning as I only really watched it from the reboot and is certainly stuff in the first couple of series (from 2006/07) that hadn't aged well and wouldn't be done now - but glad they've not made that call for us.

RE: BBC iPlayer - JACKLUFC1998 - 03-08-2023

(03-08-2023, 07:47 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Is a shame the indiscretions of one guest performer cancels the work of everyone else involved in that episode.

I've started watching Not Going Out from the beginning as I only really watched it from the reboot and is certainly stuff in the first couple of series (from 2006/07) that hadn't aged well and wouldn't be done now - but glad they've not made that call for us.

For some reason series 8 onwards hasn't been released on DVD

RE: BBC iPlayer - Brekkie - 04-08-2023

Sadly a DVD/Blu-ray release no longer the next step and I suspect sales nowadays mean it's not worthwhile, though of course owning a physical copy does protect you from future censorship decisions.

RE: BBC iPlayer - James2001 - 04-08-2023

Not just censorship, but the fact content on streaming has a habit of vanishing, which there's been a lot of high profile examples of recently.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Brekkie - 04-08-2023

Yes - which may perhaps revive the physical market. Indeed not sure how the BBC pay residuals/repeat fees for iPlayer content but there is a cost in putting so much archive up on iPlayer - and with the BBC where there I'd a cost there is a risk of cuts.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Larry the Loafer - 04-08-2023

I don't think it's a situation they can find a way out of that doesn't have some kind of negative implication. They could either leave the episodes alone and face criticism for the likes of Harris being left in their programmes, or be seen as wasteful for releasing physical media that not many people have asked for. It also begs the question whether they'd edit physical media if they were to re-release certain shows now.

I recently forked out for the Australian box set of Hale & Pace after having enjoyed it during its tenure on That's TV. I distinctly remember very noticeable edits at the end of their Down Under special where they do a show in Australia. Alas, there were moments of Gareth Hale dressed up as Rolf Harris. What's ironic is that That's TV always showed a disclaimer in the corner of the screen warning of historic insensitivity - a man taking the p*ss out of Rolf Harris apparently doesn't compare to some casual racism from a 70s sitcom, it seems.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I distinctly remember an episode of Two Pints where Jonny and Gaz remark that Jimmy Savile is still alive when one of them implies he's dead, and I recall wondering how that would play out when the day came that he was no more. Now, of course, there's a much stronger reason to cut around that joke, but I never thought to check if it was still intact seeing as BBC Three are regularly repeating the show on Saturdays.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Nobby - 04-08-2023

The Benny Hill Show episodes that That's TV show have Mr Hill dressed as Rolf Harris during the closing credits. The clips under the credits also feature him with a black face. Maybe the edits were done by the distributor rather than That's TV. See also The Jerry Springer Show that's edited for an American daytime audience.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Humphrey Hacker - 04-08-2023

I'm personally against the idea of censorship because it's rendering us unable to use our critical thinking abilities over what we want to watch and also because it treats us like idiots. For example I bought the entire series of Are You Being Served on DVD because I was annoyed at the edits made by GOLD.

Surely a better idea would have been to transmit it after the watershed. There are worse things on after nine pm. A better solution would be for streaming services to provide the option (via PIN lock) to watch a programme uncut with a suitable warning.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Larry the Loafer - 04-08-2023

I'd be surprised if Gold are censoring given I've seen UKTV show Gavin and Stacey well before the watershed and have swear words intact.

The irony behind using a watershed or PIN numbers for things like political incorrectness or references to disgraced personalities is that younger people are less likely to notice the issue. I'm sure there are younger people who have no idea who the likes of Savile and Harris are. Also, I grew up watching Tom & Jerry having no idea that the Mammy character was a racist caricature, nor did I make any connection between blackface and a character's face being blackened by an explosion.

I've always said WB's approach to its presentation of "questionable" content is best. Present it uncensored and unedited with a disclaimer that the representations are wrong, but that it's also wrong to pretend those representations didn't exist... Though quite how the BBC would word such a disclaimer to justify Rolf Harris appearing in an episode of My Family, I'm not quite sure.