Pres Café
BBC iPlayer - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Online Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: BBC iPlayer (/showthread.php?tid=35)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: BBC iPlayer - JACKLUFC1998 - 04-08-2023

Someone on the Digital Spy Forums has told me that the third episode of the third series of The Royle Family isn't on iPlayer as well

RE: BBC iPlayer - IanJRedman - 05-08-2023

Even The Sarah Jane Adventures, of all things, has a handful of minor edits on iPlayer. I know the first episode has been trimmed to remove a comment about a schoolgirl fancying an older man - and also a gag whereby an alien, disguised as a human male, shows disgust at the thought of entering the women's toilets. There's also a Series 5 episode which has a number of trims to remove factual inaccuracies relating to Native American culture... This episode was initially missing from iPlayer altogether, while the edits were being made - apparently a complaint somewhere over the years was upheld against the episode. So even CBBC isn't safe from being sanitised on streaming.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Happy2001 - 05-08-2023

(04-08-2023, 11:12 PM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  Someone on the Digital Spy Forums has told me that the third episode of the third series of The Royle Family isn't on iPlayer as well

Though still rerun on Dave, Series 3 Episode 3 of Rhod Gilbert's Work Experience is unavailable to see on BBC iPlayer: 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01j2fbm 

RE: BBC iPlayer - James2001 - 05-08-2023

(05-08-2023, 12:21 AM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Even The Sarah Jane Adventures, of all things, has a handful of minor edits on iPlayer. I know the first episode has been trimmed to remove a comment about a schoolgirl fancying an older man - and also a gag whereby an alien, disguised as a human male, shows disgust at the thought of entering the women's toilets. There's also a Series 5 episode which has a number of trims to remove factual inaccuracies relating to Native American culture... This episode was initially missing from iPlayer altogether, while the edits were being made - apparently a complaint somewhere over the years was upheld against the episode. So even CBBC isn't safe from being sanitised on streaming.

If anything, changing standards makes content for children more likely to be edited than anything else.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Nobby - 05-08-2023

(04-08-2023, 11:12 PM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  Someone on the Digital Spy Forums has told me that the third episode of the third series of The Royle Family isn't on iPlayer as well

Isn't this it?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00747q7 

RE: BBC iPlayer - Humphrey Hacker - 05-08-2023

(04-08-2023, 10:45 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I'd be surprised if Gold are censoring given I've seen UKTV show Gavin and Stacey well before the watershed and have swear words intact.

The irony behind using a watershed or PIN numbers for things like political incorrectness or references to disgraced personalities is that younger people are less likely to notice the issue. I'm sure there are younger people who have no idea who the likes of Savile and Harris are. Also, I grew up watching Tom & Jerry having no idea that the Mammy character was a racist caricature, nor did I make any connection between blackface and a character's face being blackened by an explosion.

I've always said WB's approach to its presentation of "questionable" content is best. Present it uncensored and unedited with a disclaimer that the representations are wrong, but that it's also wrong to pretend those representations didn't exist... Though quite how the BBC would word such a disclaimer to justify Rolf Harris appearing in an episode of My Family, I'm not quite sure.

Gold do censor. There's at least one AYBS episode where a couple of lines are cut (the episode surrounding a greek wedding). Even some episodes of Last Of The Summer Wine have been cut mainly of Compo sticking 2 fingers up at people.

Doubtless many younger viewers don't have a clue who Saville and Harris are (and that's a good thing) but they will inevitably ask questions or do their own research.

I didn't know about the "mammy" character being racist either I'm smiling now remembering her shouting "Thomas".

WB's approach is spot on. Its an admission that "things were different back then"

[color=#040c28][font='Google Sans', arial, sans-serif]"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.[/font][/color]

George Santayana
1863-1952

RE: BBC iPlayer - Larry the Loafer - 05-08-2023

There was an episode missing when it was on Netflix, but I think it was the episode where Dave and Denise come to pick up Baby David the morning after a night out. I never really figured out why it was omitted, unless there were rights issues with having SMTV Live featured prominently in the background.

Series 3 Episode 3, IIRC, is the famous decorating episode with the Mambo No. 5 sequence. I don't think that's ever been held back from streaming.

RE: BBC iPlayer - JACKLUFC1998 - 05-08-2023

(05-08-2023, 08:19 AM)Nobby Wrote:  Isn't this it?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00747q7 

I think so, the said it was the one where Jim makes transphobic remarks

RE: BBC iPlayer - Spencer - 05-08-2023

I’m always pleased to see that the Royle Family episode in which you can clearly hear Rolf Harris on Animal Hospital on the TV in the background is still repeated on Gold, and available to stream.

It’s such a shame when the inclusion of someone who later turns out to be a wrong ‘un means a great piece of TV is rendered unbroadcastable.

Whilst I don’t think anyone is clamouring for repeats of Jim’ll Fix It or Rolf’s Cartoon Club, it’s really sad that things like the first series of The Thick Of It can’t be broadcast due to Chris Langham being in it.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Neil Jones - 05-08-2023

(05-08-2023, 09:29 AM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  I didn't know about the "mammy" character being racist either I'm smiling now remembering her shouting "Thomas".

WB's approach is spot on. Its an admission that "things were different back then"

Many cartoons of the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s wil have used racial stereotyping. Its definitely not unique to Tom & Jerry (that being said, Tom & Jerry is probably one of the most violent cartoons that airs on children's TV these days, and its always amazing to note that any complaints about it are about everything else but the violence itself). Mammy was revoiced years later twice over, so sometimes its luck of the draw who you get doing the voiceover.

I dare say if the BBC had iPlayer rights to it, they'd hack it to shreds to the point where its not even worth having.