Pres Café
BBC iPlayer - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Online Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: BBC iPlayer (/showthread.php?tid=35)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: BBC iPlayer - James2001 - 05-08-2023

(05-08-2023, 02:00 PM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  I think so, the said it was the one where Jim makes transphobic remarks

It's clearly not missing from the iplayer then, considering there's a link to it right there.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Larry the Loafer - 05-08-2023

(05-08-2023, 02:36 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I’m always pleased to see that the Royle Family episode in which you can clearly hear Rolf Harris on Animal Hospital on the TV in the background is still repeated on Gold, and available to stream.

It’s such a shame when the inclusion of someone who later turns out to be a wrong ‘un means a great piece of TV is rendered unbroadcastable.

Whilst I don’t think anyone is clamouring for repeats of Jim’ll Fix It or Rolf’s Cartoon Club, it’s really sad that things like the first series of The Thick Of It can’t be broadcast due to Chris Langham being in it.

It only really seems to happen if it's a high profile case. IIRC there's a one-off character in an episode of Bottom who was later convicted of Savile-esque crimes, but the episode is still repeated and most people are none the wiser.

You've also got the issue of American actor Jeffrey Jones, who you can still see in repeated showings of Beetlejuice and Ferris Bueller's Day Off despite his own illicit fall from grace. Nevertheless, nobody either here or in America seem to try and remove him from anything.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Spencer - 05-08-2023

(05-08-2023, 03:41 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  It only really seems to happen if it's a high profile case. IIRC there's a one-off character in an episode of Bottom who was later convicted of Savile-esque crimes, but the episode is still repeated and most people are none the wiser.

I think that’s also Chris Langham who plays the dodgy bookie in the ‘Sad Ken’ episode (‘Parade’). I don’t recall having seen it broadcast for a very long time (although it’s possible I might have missed it), but it is available to stream.

I wonder how much the issue with such material is about viewers potentially being offended at a glimpse of a now disgraced celebrity, and how much is down to the ethics of broadcasters possibly having to pay repeat fees to someone convicted of particularly awful crimes.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Humphrey Hacker - 05-08-2023

(05-08-2023, 02:46 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Many cartoons of the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s wil have used racial stereotyping.  Its definitely not unique to Tom & Jerry (that being said, Tom & Jerry is probably one of the most violent cartoons that airs on children's TV these days, and its always amazing to note that any complaints about it are about everything else but the violence itself).  Mammy was revoiced years later twice over, so sometimes its luck of the draw who you get doing the voiceover.

I dare say if the BBC had iPlayer rights to it, they'd hack it to shreds to the point where its not even worth having.

Tom and Jerry has been on British tv for decades. It was used as a filler by the BBC ether before or after the news in the (I think) 1970's and 1980's. Im guessing that the violence has been seen so many times viewers became either "immune" or de-sensitised by it although compared to the violence on Japanese "anime" T and J et al seems rather tame. The thought occurs that I probably watched T and J as part of "Rolf's Cartoon Time" (that's a chilling thought)

Going back to an earlier point about censorship. Television is the greatest record of our social, cultural and political history. It has shown how we has a species have progressed and/or regressed and obviously the "mammy" element of T and J is a regression. But the idea of censoring that material is wrong on a moral and ethical level.

Yes that kind is offensive but to prevent access to it is equally as offensive. We have the rights to watch what we want and can use our own critical thinking to decide what is suitable.

Worzel - Worzel - 05-08-2023

I discovered Series 1-3 of Brum on BBC iPlayer the other day along with Driving School and also the full series of 2 Point 4 Children.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Keith - 05-08-2023

(04-08-2023, 09:49 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  I'm personally against the idea of censorship because it's rendering us unable to use our critical thinking abilities over what we want to watch and also because it treats us like idiots. For example I bought the entire series of Are You Being Served on DVD because I was annoyed at the edits made by GOLD.

Surely a better idea would have been to transmit it after the watershed. There are worse things on after nine pm. A better solution would be for streaming services to provide the option (via PIN lock) to watch a programme uncut with a suitable warning.
For streaming I think leaving the programme unedited with a warning and optional PIN. The warning could either be prominently on the episode page and/or a slide shown at the start of the episode. That way those who might be offended are given fair warning.

It's one reason why for some films/programme I like to buy Bluray/DVDs from CEX.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Humphrey Hacker - 05-08-2023

(05-08-2023, 09:52 PM)Keith Wrote:  For streaming I think leaving the programme unedited with a warning and optional PIN. The warning could either be prominently on the episode page and/or a slide shown at the start of the episode. That way those who might be offended are given fair warning.

It's one reason why for some films/programme I like to buy Bluray/DVDs from CEX.

Likewise with me.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Neil Jones - 05-08-2023

(05-08-2023, 07:25 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  Tom and Jerry has been on British tv for decades. It was used as a filler by the BBC ether before or after the news in the (I think) 1970's and 1980's. Im guessing that the violence has been seen so many times viewers became either "immune" or de-sensitised by it although compared to the violence on Japanese "anime" T and J et al seems rather tame. The thought occurs that I probably watched T and J as part of "Rolf's Cartoon Time" (that's a chilling thought)

We're going off on a tangent here but Cartoon Time was primarily IIRC Warner Bros material as that's what the BBC had available (and occasionally some Disney stuff) as that's what Rolf's programme was made for IIRC to use. Tom & Jerry of course was an MGM property (though it became moot anyway in due course) and used under a different agreement (the duo being on the BBC until the early 2000's).

RE: BBC iPlayer - Brekkie - 06-08-2023

It has always frustrated me Pam fi Duw? on S4C has been erased from history due to accusations against it's writer. Understandable why, especially as some of those accusations were directly linked to the series, but growing up it was such an important Welsh drama series - pretty much the Welsh equivalent of Grange Hill (but better) - and as a viewer you kind of feel ownership of it.

I also feel if we just pretend these individuals never existed and effectively write them out of history then as a society we're unlikely to learn from the mistakes of the time.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Humphrey Hacker - 06-08-2023

(06-08-2023, 08:35 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  It has always frustrated me Pam fi Duw? on S4C has been erased from history due to accusations against it's writer.  Understandable why, especially as some of those accusations were directly linked to the series, but growing up it was such an important Welsh drama series - pretty much the Welsh equivalent of Grange Hill (but better) - and as a viewer you kind of feel ownership of it. 

I also feel if we just pretend these individuals never existed and effectively write them out of history then as a society we're unlikely to learn from from the mistakes of the time.

That's why I'm against censorship. Yes the likes of Saville and Harris were evil incarnate and it's absolutely right that mainstream media should never refer to them again except for serious study. Its that serious study that we need to keep because we can learn and hopefully ensure this kind of vile behaviour never happens again.