Pres Café
BBC iPlayer - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Online Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: BBC iPlayer (/showthread.php?tid=35)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: BBC iPlayer - agemame - 06-08-2023

(05-08-2023, 05:47 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I think that’s also Chris Langham who plays the dodgy bookie in the ‘Sad Ken’ episode (‘Parade’). I don’t recall having seen it broadcast for a very long time (although it’s possible I might have missed it), but it is available to stream.

I wonder how much the issue with such material is about viewers potentially being offended at a glimpse of a now disgraced celebrity, and how much is down to the ethics of broadcasters possibly having to pay repeat fees to someone convicted of particularly awful crimes.

One could also point out Paul "Des" Ballard as one of the trick or treaters in the Halloween episode, which passes unedited. The repeat fees/royalties issue with Bottom is an interesting one, as BBC in house it was more generous than for indie producers. Robert Llewellyn always used to claim he'd earned more from VHS sales of the episode where he appeared as a Falklands veteran than all the Red Dwarf VHS sales combined, as they were done on a buyout deal at the time.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Gallunach - 06-08-2023

I was just going through stations on friday night when I happened upon That's 60s playing "To whom it may concern" famous to Irish viewers as the theme tune to "The Late Late Show ".

Anyway that finished and I heard a familiar voice , Dave Lee Travis , introducing the next song as they were using a b&w clip from some 60s show with a young looking DLT .

Surprised me for a moment seeing him

RE: BBC iPlayer - Stooky Bill - 07-08-2023

(05-08-2023, 05:47 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I think that’s also Chris Langham who plays the dodgy bookie in the ‘Sad Ken’ episode (‘Parade’). I don’t recall having seen it broadcast for a very long time (although it’s possible I might have missed it), but it is available to stream.

I wonder how much the issue with such material is about viewers potentially being offended at a glimpse of a now disgraced celebrity, and how much is down to the ethics of broadcasters possibly having to pay repeat fees to someone convicted of particularly awful crimes.
The first two series of The Thick Of It are available on iPlayer so Chris Langham presumably he isn't that much of an issue.

The level of severity of what people are convicted of and their fame/prominence is presumably a factor

RE: BBC iPlayer - JAS84 - 07-08-2023

(04-08-2023, 07:17 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I don't think it's a situation they can find a way out of that doesn't have some kind of negative implication. They could either leave the episodes alone and face criticism for the likes of Harris being left in their programmes, or be seen as wasteful for releasing physical media that not many people have asked for. It also begs the question whether they'd edit physical media if they were to re-release certain shows now.

I recently forked out for the Australian box set of Hale & Pace after having enjoyed it during its tenure on That's TV. I distinctly remember very noticeable edits at the end of their Down Under special where they do a show in Australia. Alas, there were moments of Gareth Hale dressed up as Rolf Harris. What's ironic is that That's TV always showed a disclaimer in the corner of the screen warning of historic insensitivity - a man taking the p*ss out of Rolf Harris apparently doesn't compare to some casual racism from a 70s sitcom, it seems.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I distinctly remember an episode of Two Pints where Jonny and Gaz remark that Jimmy Savile is still alive when one of them implies he's dead, and I recall wondering how that would play out when the day came that he was no more. Now, of course, there's a much stronger reason to cut around that joke, but I never thought to check if it was still intact seeing as BBC Three are regularly repeating the show on Saturdays.
There's a Simpsons episode with Michael Jackson in it, as a mental patient who believes he is Jackson, and spends time with Bart and Lisa writing a song for her birthday. That episode, Stark Raving Dad, is the only one not on Disney+. So it's not just the BBC censoring shows.

(05-08-2023, 12:21 AM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Even The Sarah Jane Adventures, of all things, has a handful of minor edits on iPlayer. I know the first episode has been trimmed to remove a comment about a schoolgirl fancying an older man - and also a gag whereby an alien, disguised as a human male, shows disgust at the thought of entering the women's toilets. There's also a Series 5 episode which has a number of trims to remove factual inaccuracies relating to Native American culture... This episode was initially missing from iPlayer altogether, while the edits were being made - apparently a complaint somewhere over the years was upheld against the episode. So even CBBC isn't safe from being sanitised on streaming.
SJA was on BritBox/ITVX too, and without those edits.

RE: BBC iPlayer - James2001 - 07-08-2023

Michael Jackson was never convicted of anything (and indeed was even cleared in his trial), which makes banning things with him in a much more murky area.

RE: BBC iPlayer - London Lite - 07-08-2023

(07-08-2023, 07:31 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  There's a Simpsons episode with Michael Jackson in it, as a mental patient who believes he is Jackson, and spends time with Bart and Lisa writing a song for her birthday. That episode, Stark Raving Dad, is the only one not on Disney+. So it's not just the BBC censoring shows.

That's frustrating, it's one of my favourite Simpsons episodes.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Neil Jones - 07-08-2023

(07-08-2023, 08:50 PM)London Lite Wrote:  That's frustrating, it's one of my favourite Simpsons episodes.

Another advantage for physical media. What are they going to do, recall millions of copies of Simpsons Season 3 DVDs to swap them for a new copy with less content? Yeah, right, who's going to be dumb enough to agree to that?

RE: BBC iPlayer - James2001 - 07-08-2023

There really are so many advantages to physical media that it really is a shame it's dying. Getting content in the proper frame rate, no chance of it suddenly vanishing or being replaced by edited versions as standards or circumstances change or finding subscription prices rising or having to take out a subscription to another service to keep watching. Yes streaming is incredibly convenient, doesn't take up shelf space and likely saves a lot of money for the companies over physical distribution, but it has enough downsides to make it extremely unfortunate that it seems to be becoming a replacement rather than a complement.

Digital downloads also suffer from most of the same problems. While unlike with streaming the content of the file you have isn't going to change on the whims of the distrubutor, you still have the issue of 50/60i content rarely being handled properly, the limitation of how many devices you can play it on before the DRM says no and that said DRM licences that can be pulled in an instant, therefore turning it into a useless load of 0s and 1s taking up space on your hard drive (the BBC Store- which I recently saw a promo for when rewatching a BBC Blu-Ray telling us how wonderful it was- being a very high profile example) still make it a totally unsatisfactory alternative. And DRM-free downloads very unlikely because of how easy it would make piracy.

I do think some of the recent high profile content purges will have some people reassessing physical media vs streaming (especially when not too long back we were told that services like Disney+ and HBO Max actually owning most of their content rather than licencing it in made unlikely much content would vanish), but sadly I can't see it coming back to the extent it used to.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Larry the Loafer - 07-08-2023

(07-08-2023, 08:48 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Michael Jackson was never convicted of anything (and indeed was even cleared in his trial), which makes banning things with him in a much more murky area.

IIRC the producers argued that it was up to them what they allowed to be shown, and they no longer felt comfortable making it available. And yet, you'll find the Bill Cosby references in Saturdays of Thunder still present. They're throwaway jokes, but they still show him in a positive light. The MJ situation really is odd, considering you have situations like Stark Raving Dad being pulled from circulation, yet many radio stations will still play his music to next to no uproar.

RE: BBC iPlayer - RhysJR - 08-08-2023

There has been a new FAST channel launched on iPlayer, the History Channel (not to be confused with the American channel of the same name, or the Sky-branded channel that uses the American one's branding).

On the iPlayer app, there is a warning on top of the page,  'Contains beahviour which could be imitated'. I'm not sure exactly what that is implying or where else that could be used - I'm not going to be imitating the Japanese armies of WW2 which looked to be on when I just checked.

There's another warning when pressing play that some archive content may contain offensive/outdated language.

https://twitter.com/greg_jenner/status/1688581085217644544?t=BT_EDMGgMSypf7erl_CztA&s=19