Pres Café
BBC iPlayer - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Online Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: BBC iPlayer (/showthread.php?tid=35)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: BBC iPlayer - Technologist - 12-08-2023

and at the moment there is nothing which says how long a decoder should take (and then other processing)
so your Tv can/will be different from your neighbours!
(Multiple DAB in same house is good example .....
and UK wide DAB being satelite distributed is later than Radio on Freeview)

RE: BBC iPlayer - SunburntRock89 - 12-08-2023

(12-08-2023, 05:39 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  I mean, other modes of broadcast have latency too, just perhaps not quite as much. I'm not sure that, in itself, is an argument for keeping terrestrial. In theory, if all the BBC channels went iPlayer-only, there would be no perceptible lag because there'd be nothing else for it to be 'behind' Wink

If you go to almost any streamer on Twitch you can get incredibly low latencies. One I'm watching at the minute shows a ~1.7 second latency (consistently between 1.6-1.8).

https://i.imgur.com/v1MKPqC.png 

RE: BBC iPlayer - Brekkie - 12-08-2023

What is it on Amazon?

If one to one video calls over Skype/Zoom can be pretty much live then that should be the aim for broadcast too. I'm sure it'll get their eventually, but at the moment we've gone from analogue terrestrial being almost 100% live to digital SD being a couple of seconds behind, then a couple more for HD and then a minute more for online broadcasting.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Technologist - 12-08-2023

Skype /zoom being point to point does not require a CDN or similar needed for point to multipoint aka broadcasting …
Also I think the server only has to produce one stream
not chunk and code for a variety of bit rates/ resolutions….
Both take a bit of time …..
but around current DSAT delay should be possible,

RE: BBC iPlayer - cable - 12-08-2023

You're always going to have a difference in latency. Mainly down to ISPs core networks and the numbers of hops it takes to your home gateway. This applies even with multicast and CDNs.

RE: BBC iPlayer - i.h - 13-08-2023

(12-08-2023, 10:16 PM)cable Wrote:  You're always going to have a difference in latency. Mainly down to ISPs core networks and the numbers of hops it takes to your home gateway. This applies even with multicast and CDNs.
as someone who works for an ISP that you will have heard of:

not enough of a difference to matter with any ISP worth using, though - and even the very worst connection is still going to have sub 1-second latency to a CDN server, so any excessive streaming or video call delays are not due to that.

the differences are not really due to the core network, but instead in the access side. This is especially true for anyone who doesn't have fibre to the home as both DOCSIS and DSL can introduce various delays and jitters depending on local conditions, and all bets are off with 4G/5G

we also find that even if we produced the most perfect internet connection ever created, people are still going to ruin it by using wifi or homeplugs or other low speed high(er) latency connections. COVID was a huge case in point, as people would insist on using wifi for their important video calls, even the ones that end up on TV, and then moan because it drops out. MPs were a particular example, even though Parliament gave them a WFH equipment budget and (IIRC) issued advice to run ethernet cables.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Newshound47 - 13-08-2023

(12-08-2023, 07:49 PM)Technologist Wrote:  Skype /zoom being  point to point does not require a CDN or similar needed for point to multipoint aka broadcasting …
Also I think the server only has to produce one stream
not chunk and code for a variety of bit rates/ resolutions….
Both  take a bit of time …..
but around current DSAT delay should be possible,

And the current DSAT delay is barely noticeable so everyone would accept that.

RE: BBC iPlayer - harshy - 14-08-2023

It’s getting there it can’t replace a proper broadcast HD picture it looks sharper pin sharp particularly the edges which despite the higher bitrate of iplayer, it seems softer around the edges.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Technologist - 14-08-2023

(14-08-2023, 11:23 AM)harshy Wrote:  It’s getting there it can’t replace a proper broadcast HD picture it looks sharper pin sharp particularly the edges which despite the higher bitrate of iplayer, it seems softer around the edges.
as the Broadcast picture demands/ is allocated in excess of 15Mbit/s its hardly surprising its better! (BBC one etc)
but with the newer codecs (e.g. Symetrical coding, different transforms)
and more work on efficient smoothing of VBR coding and Chunking ~ (More delay I'm affraid)
and the CDNs etc and internet generally being cabable of (slightly) mass VBR streaming.....
it is coming ......

RE: BBC iPlayer - harshy - 14-08-2023

I don’t think I’ve ever seen bbc one get even to close to even 10 mbps, Sky and other channels do however and bbc news international seems to be a constant 8.8mbps bitrate.