Pres Café
BBC iPlayer - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Online Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: BBC iPlayer (/showthread.php?tid=35)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: BBC iPlayer - Kojak - 02-04-2023

Sky did remove theirs back in 2011. I remember when Sky Atlantic launched, they started to only have the DOGs up for 30 seconds or so at the start of each programme and after breaks (which is a practice I think continues to this day). I always thought that was to give a more premium feel (with Atlantic in particular being their sort of jewel in the crown, the more upscale channel). Or maybe it was just the result of many complaints?

RE: BBC iPlayer - IanJRedman - 02-04-2023

As far as the BBC's HD channels are concerned, IIRC BBC HD (the channel) had a DOG throughout its existence, although latterly it was removed during dramas etc, and left in place for other shows. BBC One HD had a DOG at launch, and for some time afterwards, but this was removed at some point. I think it was gone by the time BBC Two HD arrived, which never had a DOG?

If you go looking for them, there are some interesting posts on the old BBC Internet Blog, such as this one from 2008:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/10/dogs_on_the_blog.html 

RE: BBC iPlayer - Rex - 03-04-2023

(02-04-2023, 10:30 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Sky did remove theirs back in 2011. I remember when Sky Atlantic launched, they started to only have the DOGs up for 30 seconds or so at the start of each programme and after breaks (which is a practice I think continues to this day). I always thought that was to give a more premium feel (with Atlantic in particular being their sort of jewel in the crown, the more upscale channel). Or maybe it was just the result of many complaints?
15 seconds now on every Sky channel, removing the DOGs after that period of time makes it less intrusive and distracting

RE: BBC iPlayer - RhysJR - 03-04-2023

On about DOGs, the BBC DOG seems to be absent on the BBC One Wales feed on iPlayer. I first noticed last night when I watched Match of the Day 2 on a c.15 mins delay, but just ended up on there again and it is still missing and has been for all of the last two hours. I checked BBC One England and BBC Two Wales and the DOG remains on both of those.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Spencer - 04-04-2023

(02-04-2023, 10:30 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Sky did remove theirs back in 2011. I remember when Sky Atlantic launched, they started to only have the DOGs up for 30 seconds or so at the start of each programme and after breaks (which is a practice I think continues to this day). I always thought that was to give a more premium feel (with Atlantic in particular being their sort of jewel in the crown, the more upscale channel). Or maybe it was just the result of many complaints?
Channel 5 also made a point of going DOGless when they rebranded as ‘five’.  I seem to remember they claimed it was to show they were becoming a more grown up and confident channel (or words to that effect).

I guess it was also because having been the only terrestrial channel with a DOG at the time, it made it seem a bit cheap like a satellite channel, so losing it helped improve its image.

RE: BBC iPlayer - VMPhil - 04-04-2023

That’s despite them being the first terrestrial to then start using a DOG again about five years later. I remember being at a relatives house and seeing it for the first time.

ITV started using one on their SD channel as part of the 2013 rebrand, I think. Channel 4 started using one on their SD channel in 2017.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Spencer - 13-04-2023

Every episode of The Fast Show has been added to iPlayer.

In an interesting oddity though, one of the episodes appears to be an early edit. As John J Hoare points out in his excellent Dirty Feed blog, the Chanel 9 sketch is missing its distinctive degraded, smudgy picture, along with other differences.

https://www.dirtyfeed.org/2023/04/chanel-9-unplugged/ 

RE: BBC iPlayer - James2001 - 13-04-2023

Ethethethethe ethethethethe Chris Waddle

RE: BBC iPlayer - James2001 - 13-04-2023

Make the most of it while you can anyway, presumably they'll replace it with the proper version like they did with the episode of 15 stories high.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Nobby - 13-04-2023

I assume in the original that we actually heard Ed Winchester at the beginning, strange then that his "Hi, I'm Ed Winchester" line is not subtitled.

Maybe they redid the subtitles based on this odd version? It seems not though, as not only are the subtitles in the paraphrasing style that was popular at the time of broadcast rather than the verbatim style used today, the subtitles for the foreign Cheesey Peas commercial are still in foreign despite the fact that the soundtrack in this version had not yet been dubbed so is in English.

Odd all round.