Pres Café
BBC iPlayer - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Online Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: BBC iPlayer (/showthread.php?tid=35)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: BBC iPlayer - IndigoTucker - 11-06-2023

The new logo is being added when they upgrade the master file on the server to 1080p/50fps version. Quite often the older versions were 720/540.

RE: BBC iPlayer - James2001 - 11-06-2023

I wonder why they need to seeing as the Ecclestone and Tennant eras were SD anyway.

RE: BBC iPlayer - IndigoTucker - 11-06-2023

The older SD have been upgraded to a 50fps SD format. It seems to be an ongoing process across iPlayer.

Most of them I'm sure were already 50fps anyway, at least the ones I watched. Though when you left clicked to see the bitrate, they did top out at 1.7mbps, I imagine the reuploading will allow higher bitrates.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Larry the Loafer - 11-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 02:23 PM)IndigoTucker Wrote:  The older SD have been upgraded to a 50fps SD format. It seems to be an ongoing process across iPlayer.

I still think it's absolutely criminal that the BBC are the only people who are bothering to supply programmes at their proper frame rate on streaming services. It's one of the reasons I prefer recording programmes rather than relying on apps for catch up. I don't really fancy sitting through adverts to be greeted with subpar video quality.

Annoyingly, the ITV Hub did 50fps, but then downgraded to 25 when it became ITVX.

The on demand service on Virgin went from 50i to 25p a couple of years ago too.

I think Sky, Discovery and Amazon offer it on sports content, but nothing else. Really 50/60fps should be standard at this point. If streamers can push 1080 and UHD, they can offer 50/60, even if they restrict it to lower resolutions.

RE: BBC iPlayer - Larry the Loafer - 11-06-2023

AIUI if you catch up on Sky Q and download it through the EPG rather than the respective app, it'll be broadcast quality. I can't help but feel like this is a fluke somehow and it'll stop being the case one day, especially if Sky Stream/Glass gets pushed into becoming the default choice for TV customers.

Was definitely the case last time I used it, when I watched some of the early episodes of The Bill (which UKTV only made available on demand) and it was proper 50i but that was a good while back.

RE: BBC iPlayer - interestednovice - 11-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 07:42 AM)AndrewP Wrote:  I've seen BBC content regurgitated by different accounts on multiple social media sites, with mostly positive feedback from the respective audiences.

With all the bad press the BBC has received and the increasing feeling about its dwindling importance/necessity, I can't see the harm of subtly reminding people that the content they are enjoying is from the BBC -- even if it's not via iPlayer and the licence.

I firmly believe that this country and indeed the World would be poorer without the BBC, and the more people that see its value and take pride in it - even within the BBC itself - the better.

(I feel I could have worded this more eloquently; I hope what I'm trying to say comes across)
Yes, I do understand your point - and why the BBC feel the need to do it.

But that doesn’t change the fact that it’s annoying and distracting to have a burn-in DOG. Any DOG is an annoyance, but to have it burnt in makes it more distracting as it flickers all the time as things move on screen. That’s why I was suggesting an “overlay” DOG, as ITV do, as a compromise. I accept that they may have decided that leaves ripping the underlying video file too much of a risk though.

This is probably all a very niche view, as most people are not bothered by DOGs at all and barely seem to even realise they exist. That probably shows that they “work”, as they are almost subliminal messaging and not a major issue. So I understand that I am in a minority.

It just seems a shame to slap logos on otherwise perfectly-immersive content.

(11-06-2023, 01:20 PM)IndigoTucker Wrote:  The new logo is being added when they upgrade the master file on the server to 1080p/50fps version. Quite often the older versions were 720/540.
That’s great news that they are bothering to reupload content in 1080p/50fps!

The 720p maximum resolution was always quite noticeable to me, as it just doesn’t look as good as 1080p derived content.

RE: BBC iPlayer - JAS84 - 11-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 01:43 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I wonder why they need to seeing as the Ecclestone and Tennant eras were SD anyway.
Mostly. Tennant's last four episodes were HD.