Pres Café
BBC Internationally - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: BBC Internationally (/showthread.php?tid=355)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: BBC Internationally - Technologist - 30-04-2023

(30-04-2023, 12:59 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I agree. The BBC produce many of their dramas and documentaries in 4K/UHD/HDR and an increasing number of people have TVs capable of viewing these, but there is no brand associated with that specific service through iPlayer, which seems to be a 'never-ending-trial'.
Of course…..
because it would never at the moment pass a PVT to become a Service.

RE: BBC Internationally - Stuart - 30-04-2023

(30-04-2023, 03:46 PM)Technologist Wrote:  
(30-04-2023, 12:59 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I agree. The BBC produce many of their dramas and documentaries in 4K/UHD/HDR and an increasing number of people have TVs capable of viewing these, but there is no brand associated with that specific service through iPlayer, which seems to be a 'never-ending-trial'.
Of course…..
I would suspect that it does already have the volume to pass that threshold. It doesn't need to be a linear channel with Freeview bandwidth, just an advertised service on iPlayer.

They're not pushing it, so people are unaware.

(30-04-2023, 04:44 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(30-04-2023, 03:46 PM)Technologist Wrote:  Of course…..
I would suspect that it does already have the volume to pass that threshold. It doesn't need to be a linear channel with Freeview bandwidth, just an advertised service on iPlayer.

They're not pushing it, so people are unaware.

It is not volume that is required ….
Is the proposal seen as good value by the citizen
And is it good value for money ….
(And does it not distort the market)
See Diane Coyle’s seminal work
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/regulatory_framework/pvt/public_value_practice.pdf 

Sowhat makes it unlikely now ..(that is significant)

The BBC financial state with no LF increases for years and particularly in current
Uk economic situation no increase for 2 years ……

The current Launch of BBC One Regions HD on emissive platforms …
If this had not been possible see Distribution Strategy para 33
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insidethebbc/howwework/accountability/consultations/bbc_distribution_strategy.pdf 
the concept of having a high res version of a (regional news) programme in IPlayer
Would make UHD versions far more acceptable.

Being permitted as part if a move to digital first to announce at the start of the transmitted programme that the UHD version can be seen on I-player at the same time
(I can remember the row over this …… it was not allowed ! )

What makes it more likely

Digital first ……
More people moving from emissive platforms to online
BBC having more money
Success of the free view/sat play platforms and larger take up
Having some thing for charter renewal

And behind the scenes the move away from AS11 delivery to IMF SMPTE ST 2067

PS what makes the real difference is HDR /WCG…… And it would be nice to have NGA but that really costs

RE: BBC Internationally - cable - 30-04-2023

If the public value is not there for 4K, there's no hope for next generation audio. Hopefully things begin to change when Freeviews "IP fallback*" solution goes live, at least then you could argue offering IP delivery of a streamed 4K linear service could be done platform neutral. Besides, such a service would not necesarily need to be broadcast using emissive platforms. The market is already used to 4K content being delivered over IP via SVOD providers, its only a matter of time until 4K FAST channels become a thing.

*Technically, the ability to offer standardised IP streaming channels would be possible regardless of whether or not a terrestrial broadcast channel exists.

There is a great deal in the public value of UHD HDR WCG NGA …
As can be seen by the use in sport coverage by Sky. …
And the expertise and time taken by BBC R&D to get it working
And standardised internationally with a better system technically than
The commercial market …. And much “ how to use it” from Andy Quested
And much commissioning …and use of cameras with static resolution greater than UHD1

But for the BBC as a Public body there is the definition of public value
As a measure of the public worth that is a bar against which changes in its output
are evaluated/ judged .
That is one of the many limitations that are put in the BBC …..

But the BBC has no plans to emit it …but Bidi is dimensioned to take
UHD services ….. but not to a full “everyone in the UK “ scale .

BTW are the other PSB doing anything in UHD1?
Or is there as much interest in the USA …they like HDR though …

RE: BBC Internationally - cable - 30-04-2023

I find the public value case for NGA difficult. Except for perhaps NICAM with Analogue TV, there does not seem to be much public appetite for improved audio unless you are an audiophile. Even when improved audio is available it's usually a premium feature bundled alongside HD/4K.

In professional AV production yes, but you would probably be playing back on professional grade equipment. Domestically speaking, the majority of setups are 2.0, possibly enhanced with sort of sound bar. 5.1ch is not widely taken up and even when it is, people might not have their setups configured optimally. 7.1ch -nope. Dobly Atmos is a marketing gimmick that most people does not really understand what it does. Unless you are an audiophile and have a good home setup, you'd have to be in a cinema with its commercial setup to begin to understand its advantages.

ITV commercially don't seem to be worried they only have 2.0 audio. although Its certainly nice to have. Supporting it through several types of devices and various incarnations of those devices. It seems that this type of thing is trying so hard to be a "broadcast excellence" when everything seems to be moving away from traditional broadcast platforms. Does the BBC need to be guiding the market? In these cash strapped times, Could the R&D be better spent on other things, after all you say Sky is running with it.

NGA gives better speech audibility and encompasses AD
So no special system required
Never mind the enhanced sound experience.
And also allows for multi lingual dialog and different mixes.

RE: BBC Internationally - Keith - 01-05-2023

(30-04-2023, 11:46 PM)Technologist Wrote:  NGA gives better speech audibility and encompasses AD
So no special system required
Never mind the enhanced sound experience.
And also allows for  multi lingual dialog and different mixes.
Having googled it I came across a BBC R&D piece about it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/next-generation-audio 
I'd never heard of it until reading this thread, but it does look like a lot of work has already gone into it.

RE: BBC Internationally - bkman1990 - 15-05-2023

I love these BBC Nordic idents. 

They look fab.

RE: BBC Internationally - Parsons - 15-05-2023

Better than the ones on the main channel in its home country, in fact!