Pres Café
BBC Internationally - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: BBC Internationally (/showthread.php?tid=355)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: BBC Internationally - fanoftv - 06-08-2023

Is there a reason why they didn’t opt for the iPlayer brand?

RE: BBC Internationally - Joe - 07-08-2023

Without the brand equity in a new market, it sounds old fashioned.

RE: BBC Internationally - ViridianFan - 07-08-2023

It also sounds like an apple product too. As said before, it’s only kept here due to its brand recognition and it stands out against other channels’ streaming services. Of course it made more sense when all the BBCs interactive services (eg the website, red button and iplayer) were brands under the BBCi branding. Doe’s make you wonder if they’d have kept the website as BBCi  would they have called sounds isounds?

RE: BBC Internationally - Radiounion - 07-08-2023

(07-08-2023, 04:01 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  It also sounds like an apple product too. As said before, it’s only kept here due to its brand recognition and it stands out against other channels’ streaming services. Of course it made more sense when all the BBCs interactive services (eg the website, red button and iplayer) were brands under the BBCi branding. Doe’s make you wonder if they’d have kept the website as BBCi  would they have called sounds isounds?
Just to remind you guys that the BBC Player brand already exists, as a subscription service around Asia (and Poland apparently), as it launched in Singapore in 2016 then expanded. Taiwan is just the latest expansion.

RE: BBC Internationally - W. Knight - 08-08-2023

The scene is more muddled when you consider Australia and New Zealand's offerings are just "Watch on Demand", without a specific branding like (i)Player. Speaking of...

(18-02-2023, 11:26 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  And - apologies for sounding like a broken record here - BBC First. We may not heard much about the ident after this teaser, but some bits of Chameleon can still be seen elsewhere.
Turns out it's done by local agency Vandal, with 5 idents that centre around threads:
https://vandal.sydney/portfolio/bbc-first/ 

Two of them are collaborated with Sydney-based Luxx, who also worked on Ten's 2018 relaunch:

RE: BBC Internationally - Rdd - 08-08-2023

Falling into the above discussion mentioned before about the “iPlayer but we can’t call it that” BBC catch up service offered on Sky in Ireland.

RE: BBC Internationally - Stuart - 09-08-2023

(08-08-2023, 08:52 AM)Rdd Wrote:  Falling into the above discussion mentioned before about the “iPlayer but we can’t call it that” BBC catch up service offered on Sky in Ireland.
That's rather like on my ancient Sky+HD STB,  ITVX is called 'ITV Catch up'.

I have to use my Fire Stick to watch the proper ITVX. I can live with that. Big Grin

RE: BBC Internationally - thomalex - 09-08-2023

(07-08-2023, 04:01 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  It also sounds like an apple product too. As said before, it’s only kept here due to its brand recognition and it stands out against other channels’ streaming services. Of course it made more sense when all the BBCs interactive services (eg the website, red button and iplayer) were brands under the BBCi branding. Doe’s make you wonder if they’d have kept the website as BBCi  would they have called sounds isounds?

I completely forgot about BBCi with its strange itv inspired logo for their online services and I’m sure you’re right this is a big part of why they went with the iPlayer name in the first place.

As a brand however it does leave a lot to be desired with the full BBC iPlayer name coming in 6 syllables hence it getting shortened to iPlayer in conversation which then omits the BBC brand. 

If they are going with BBC Player for the international brand then it’s best to stick with it a guess so it becomes recognisable but it does seem a bit generic and seems to describe the software rather than the content on it. You don’t have Netflix Player you just have Netflix for example. 

Maybe something like BBC View, BBC Vision or even BBC TV would work as better brands for the international market.

RE: BBC Internationally - Stuart - 09-08-2023

(09-08-2023, 06:45 PM)thomalex Wrote:  I completely forgot about BBCi with its strange itv inspired logo for their online services and I’m sure you’re right this is a big part of why they went with the iPlayer name in the first place.

Maybe something like BBC View, BBC Vision or even BBC TV would work as better brands for the international market.
I think the 'i' was supposed to be for either internet or interactive and was the original name of the digital text service that replaced Ceefax.

I certainly didn't ever associate it with any of ITV's random regular logo changes of the time. I also didn't associate it with anything to do with Apple products because I've never owned or wanted one.

BBC TV is already the name of their PSB television services funded by the TVL, and as BBC Studios for commercial operations in the UK and elsewhere.

I'm not sure why you're wanting to change the name of BBC iPlayer.

RE: BBC Internationally - ViridianFan - 09-08-2023

(09-08-2023, 07:23 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I think the 'i' was supposed to be for either internet or interactive and was the original name of the digital text service that replaced Ceefax.

I certainly didn't ever associate it with any of ITV's random regular logo changes of the time. I also didn't associate it with anything to do with Apple products because I've never owned or wanted one.

BBC TV is already the name of their PSB television services funded by the TVL, and as BBC Studios for commercial operations in the UK and elsewhere.

I'm not sure why you're wanting to change the name of BBC iPlayer.
No one was suggesting they wanted it changed. It was a discussion how iplayer brand is only used in the UK and how I was a legacy from BBCi. It then ventured into a what if. Surely the purpose of the boards are to discuss things like that. Doesn’t mean people think it should be changed. 

The “i” was for interactive. The big selling point about the red button was you were able to interact with your tv in a way you couldn’t before. Many of the shows which accompanied the lottery had a play-a-long feature. You also had test the nation which allowed you to play along. Of course you had the news multi-screen which was about having the news when you wanted it 

I believe Thomalex was joking about the logo. The original BBCi logo was the 1997 logo with a 4th box on the end with a lower case i, around that time ITVs logo was the the3blue boxes followed by a yellow box with 1 in. The second version of the BBCi logo was much better where the I was in the red circle. 

iplayer wouldn’t have to link to iPhone at you as I am guessing you grew up in the UK. When the whole BBCi and iPlayer branding started iPhones etc were not such a big thing as they are today. Im fairly confident that if you were to go to another country and referred to a product called  iPlayer now, most people would associate it with apple because of the IPhone, iPod iPad