Pres Café
BBC One Balloon To Fly Once Again - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: BBC One Balloon To Fly Once Again (/showthread.php?tid=368)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: BBC One Balloon To Fly Once Again - Larry the Loafer - 09-06-2023

(09-06-2023, 10:31 AM)harshy Wrote:  Is that possible with After Effects ?

If they can make those hippos swim in a circle...

RE: BBC One Balloon To Fly Once Again - mdta - 09-06-2023

(09-06-2023, 10:31 AM)harshy Wrote:  Is that possible with After Effects ?

I imagine the existing idents are motion controlled cameras filming the same location with different setups/lighting/times of day.

As long as the balloon is in the same kind of position in the different sets of footage, and the footage is large enough to allow cropping to position everything nicely.  You could probably get a drone to do a full 360 around the balloon each time - and then edit it together with the lens effect used on the existing ones.

More likely to be Nuke, Smoke or DaVinci Resolve than After Effects though these days.

RE: BBC One Balloon To Fly Once Again - Pootle - 14-06-2023

I was at a presentation years back given by Martin Lambie-Nairn about various TV branding work, and I remember him saying a problem they had filming the idents was the balloon would never fly in the direction they wanted and in some of the later idents the balloon was digitally inserted.

RE: BBC One Balloon To Fly Once Again - mdta - 14-06-2023

(14-06-2023, 09:11 PM)Pootle Wrote:  I was at a presentation years back given by Martin Lambie-Nairn about various TV branding work, and I remember him saying a problem they had filming the idents was the balloon would never fly in the direction they wanted and in some of the later idents the balloon was digitally inserted.

I'd like to think today's tech would make this less of a problem.  Have a drone camera flying around the balloon.  No limited reels of film, in a big clunky camera, attached to a helicopter following along.  Film much more footage than you need, and make minor adjustments to move the balloon, and then edit it down to the perfect shots.

RE: BBC One Balloon To Fly Once Again - ViridianFan - 14-06-2023

(14-06-2023, 09:11 PM)Pootle Wrote:  I was at a presentation years back given by Martin Lambie-Nairn about various TV branding work, and I remember him saying a problem they had filming the idents was the balloon would never fly in the direction they wanted and in some of the later idents the balloon was digitally inserted.

It wasn’t this presentation. 

I thought it was really interesting. Such a shame they never flew (couldn’t resist) with the idea of having the balloon at different events. I do often think it was ditched far too soon but that they never exploited it’s full potential. 

I always think you can tell which ones were digitally added as the balloon was very shiny as well as seeming to be bulging out if you get my meaning. They still look fantastic. Just wish I could have gotten to see it in real life.

RE: BBC One Balloon To Fly Once Again - Mike - 19-06-2023

Surprised nobody posted this on the day it was inflated

https://twitter.com/bbcmtd/status/1664902325247393792 

RE: BBC One Balloon To Fly Once Again - Rdd - 19-06-2023

It’s hard to believe it only lasted four and a half years. It was such a change for BBC One at the time it launched, in that up to the end their idents had been for decades various versions of the globe with (hard to believe now) no soundtrack whatsoever, just the announcers voice to accompany it. Quite iconic despite its short run on air, though it must be appreciated I guess at the time TV channels tended to change presentation a lot more frequently then seems to be the case now.

RE: BBC One Balloon To Fly Once Again - agentsquash - 19-06-2023

(19-06-2023, 09:44 AM)Rdd Wrote:  It’s hard to believe it only lasted four and a half years. It was such a change for BBC One at the time it launched, in that up to the end their idents had been for decades various versions of the globe with (hard to believe now) no soundtrack whatsoever, just the announcers voice to accompany it. Quite iconic despite its short run on air, though it must be appreciated I guess at the time TV channels tended to change presentation a lot more frequently then seems to be the case now.

The BBC struck what they were looking for on One with Circles and bought in the new era of long lasting idents, it seems...

RE: BBC One Balloon To Fly Once Again - all new phil - 19-06-2023

(19-06-2023, 09:44 AM)Rdd Wrote:  It’s hard to believe it only lasted four and a half years. It was such a change for BBC One at the time it launched, in that up to the end their idents had been for decades various versions of the globe with (hard to believe now) no soundtrack whatsoever, just the announcers voice to accompany it. Quite iconic despite its short run on air, though it must be appreciated I guess at the time TV channels tended to change presentation a lot more frequently then seems to be the case now.

Agree with your points here. Always feels like the best pres gets the shortest run. I think that the balloon had such an impact because it was so different to what came before. I think the dancers maybe fit this as well (although clearly not as well received). Everything else that followed all kind of merges into one. 

Balloon was bold, dancers were bold, everything else has been meh. 

I reckon if you quizzed people on the street about what the BBC One logo was, a lot would still say a balloon or a globe.

RE: BBC One Balloon To Fly Once Again - Brekkie - 19-06-2023

Always felt they could have run a few more years instead of the Rhythm and Dancers with just the logo changing to the red box. The idents had already evolved, for better or worse, to include more people in them rather than just landscapes.

But anyhow, a representation of the entire world flying over numerous locations across the UK wasn't "inclusive" enough apparently.

That said though the dancers hold up much better retrospectively than they did at the time, partly because they suffered from replacing the balloon and partly because we've seen they can do so much worse.