Pres Café
Red Nose Day - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Red Nose Day (/showthread.php?tid=372)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Red Nose Day - Happy2001 - 18-03-2023

Ratings:
7-10pm - 2.88 Million
10-10:35pm - 700k
https://mobile.twitter.com/superTV247/status/1637031566802051074 

RE: Red Nose Day - Transmission - 18-03-2023

Flo and Joan was probably the highlight for me, one of the few bits that felt like Red Nose Days of old. Probably the appearance of B*Witched did as well, weirdly, as it was the sort of totally unexpected, silly live thing you'd sometimes get.

Ghosts was good as ever. I think the problem with the Eurovision sketch was there was another sketch that also did the "lots of celebrity cameos" thing and the Traitors one was much funnier. Baldrick's story fell a bit flat - wonderful to see Tony Robinson in character but the content was mainly "Baldrick says turnip a lot". Stath's a great show, their bit wasn't the best though.

And... that's pretty much all I can remember of it, aside from a couple of bits that belonged on Children in Need. There wasn't a lot, really. As others have said it was missing that post-news "live and dangerous" feel but I think most of all it was missing comedians.

RE: Red Nose Day - Dadeki - 18-03-2023

While £31.9 million is a respectable total, it's not exactly a good one either. In fact, reading Wikipedia for previous years' totals it appears to be the lowest amount raised since 1997, which saw £27 million. 1999 saw £35 million being raised and that's not accounting for inflation, either. The donations have also been dropping year on year since 2011, which saw a record £108 million being donated. Compared to last year's total of £42 million, over £10 million being lost in the space of a year alone is not something I would be boasting about and should instead raise serious questions about the continued relevance of the fundraiser. Yes I know there is a cost of living crisis, but even the 2009 total (which was in the height of a recession) was higher.

RE: Red Nose Day - Gary Baldy - 18-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 12:29 PM)Transmission Wrote:  Flo and Joan was probably the highlight for me, one of the few bits that felt like Red Nose Days of old. Probably the appearance of B*Witched did as well, weirdly, as it was the sort of totally unexpected, silly live thing you'd sometimes get.

Ghosts was good as ever. I think the problem with the Eurovision sketch was there was another sketch that also did the "lots of celebrity cameos" thing and the Traitors one was much funnier. Baldrick's story fell a bit flat - wonderful to see Tony Robinson in character but the content was mainly "Baldrick says turnip a lot". Stath's a great show, their bit wasn't the best though.

And... that's pretty much all I can remember of it, aside from a couple of bits that belonged on Children in Need. There wasn't a lot, really. As others have said it was missing that post-news "live and dangerous" feel but I think most of all it was missing comedians.

It’s all a bit too safe and saccharine now. Leave that feel to Children in Need, Comic Relief’s job is to be rebellious. It’s missed the mark for the last few years. 2017 was a pretty good Red Nose Day though- it felt eventful and it felt like the Red Nose Day of old. The biggest problem it currently has is the lack of comedy- this year’s was so poor that even Lenny abandoned it.  It all feels very uneventful nowadays- they might as well prerecord the whole thing and play it out as live (just like the Best Bits section was obviously done).

RE: Red Nose Day - VMPhil - 18-03-2023

The Best Bits programme was recorded on Wednesday night.

You may have noticed at one point Paddy putting two fingers up to the audience. That was because on a previous take he’d fluffed the line he had just read out.

RE: Red Nose Day - Brekkie - 18-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 01:28 PM)Dadeki Wrote:  While £31.9 million is a respectable total, it's not exactly a good one either. In fact, reading Wikipedia for previous years' totals it appears to be the lowest amount raised since 1997, which saw £27 million. 1999 saw £35 million being raised and that's not accounting for inflation, either. The donations have also been dropping year on year since 2011, which saw a record £108 million being donated. Compared to last year's total of £42 million, over £10 million being lost in the space of a year alone is not something I would be boasting about and should instead raise serious questions about the continued relevance of the fundraiser. Yes I know there is a cost of living crisis, but even the 2009 total (which was in the height of a recession) was higher.
That £108m figure wasn't on the night, but at £74m there is still a huge drop in the on the night figure.   That said when you look at how ratings have fallen the donation per viewer has almost doubled from roughly a fiver to a tenner.  

It just needs somebody to show it a bit of love again in the way the BBC have treated Eurovision over the last 12 months.    The big thing is to make Red Nose Day itself a huge focal point - the big celebrity challenges have somewhat distracted from that in recent years.    If they do another big celeb thing it needs to feel new, not another mountain trek or danceathon.

RE: Red Nose Day - Josh - 18-03-2023

(17-03-2023, 10:36 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The Flo and Joan sketch the only (not) live studio comedy of the night and brilliant - though reminding us of how much better it used to be. Used to have pretty much ever young comedian in the country live in the studio (or at least in a sketch) on the night - now it's five jobbing presenters.

"We have seen so many famous faces donate their time to this great cause year after year after year, although we will say if you feel like you need to do that much charity work, it often means you have something to hide!"

RE: Red Nose Day - orange - 18-03-2023

I don’t think the move to having it annually is helping its cause either. Sport Relief and Comic Relief are sort of two very different audiences and I think alternating them gave RND a much needed breather and it made it all feel a lot more special.

There’s nothing really exciting about it anymore - there’s no hype about it and like Brekkie said, it’s feeling quite unloved. It’s so easy to accidentally avoid it all now - I only found out it was happening through briefly seeing it flick up on Amazon, and it seems like they don’t have much of a relationship with the RND brand in Sainsbury’s anymore. That seems quite crazy to me - their stores practically used to be decked top to bottom in promos for it and felt like a hub for the event…

It used to be exciting to see what the theme would be every time it came around too - the one this year is very smartly designed but it’s all a lot more sterile than it used to be… I think they fell off the wagon a bit by doing that whole “collect all 10 red noses!” thing something like 10 times in a row. I presume it resulted in a lot more sales of them which was good, but it really just took any personality away from it when you make the thing the whole event revolves around dull and samey.

RE: Red Nose Day - JAS84 - 18-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 01:28 PM)Dadeki Wrote:  While £31.9 million is a respectable total, it's not exactly a good one either. In fact, reading Wikipedia for previous years' totals it appears to be the lowest amount raised since 1997, which saw £27 million. 1999 saw £35 million being raised and that's not accounting for inflation, either. The donations have also been dropping year on year since 2011, which saw a record £108 million being donated. Compared to last year's total of £42 million, over £10 million being lost in the space of a year alone is not something I would be boasting about and should instead raise serious questions about the continued relevance of the fundraiser. Yes I know there is a cost of living crisis, but even the 2009 total (which was in the height of a recession) was higher.
Some of the Sport Relief years were worse than that, it's actually only the worst total since 2010.
2002: £10 million
2004: £11 million
2006: £18 million
2008: £19.6 million (£5.5 million of which came from one person!)
2010: £31 million
2012: £50.4 million
2014: £51.2 million
2016: £55.4 million
2018: £38.1 million
2020: £40.5 million

Children in Need 2022 raised £35.2 million, so Comic Relief's £31.9m isn't that bad, also, all CINs before 2013 raised less than that on the night. I think both telethons have been affected since the pandemic.

RE: Red Nose Day - Brekkie - 18-03-2023

Also the total may have been down but it felt less corporate than in previous years. I'm sure Sainsburys was usually around the £4m mark for the red noses (Amazon was just over £2m, but there was a Sainsbury's donation too but missed what that was). In the past they'd often be a hefty few million quid via a corporate partner to prop up the total around the news just as they needed it.

As orange said going annual isn't really going to help - indeed the way the telethon is it feels like Sport Relief has gone annual rather than Comic Relief.