Pres Café
Red Nose Day - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Red Nose Day (/showthread.php?tid=372)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Red Nose Day - fanoftv - 18-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 08:01 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Also the total may have been down but it felt less corporate than in previous years.  I'm sure Sainsburys was usually around the £4m mark for the red noses (Amazon was just over £2m, but there was a Sainsbury's donation too but missed what that was).    In the past they'd often be a hefty few million quid via a corporate partner to prop up the total around the news just as they needed it.

The Sainsbury’s total alone was over £5 million

RE: Red Nose Day - Stooky Bill - 18-03-2023

(17-03-2023, 10:21 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  I do wonder if in a few years time they will just have the number on screen during normal programmes but the show is really unattractive.

The Eurovision sketch was very funny through I am suprised they had David Walliams involved after how he left BGT.
The first few Children in Need evenings were normal programmes with links (not sure if they put phone numbers up during them) 

The Eurovision sketch is odd, I saw it in YouTube first and then saw it on the best bits this afternoon and the YouTube version doesmt have David Walliams at all

RE: Red Nose Day - tellyblues - 18-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 05:42 PM)orange Wrote:  I don’t think the move to having it annually is helping its cause either. Sport Relief and Comic Relief are sort of two very different audiences and I think alternating them gave RND a much needed breather and it made it all feel a lot more special.

It's not that there are different audiences, rather the expectations are different for each event, but the problem is they blend into one in the end. There's not enough comedy for Comic Relief; it's made up of segments featuring niche shows which the majority of the audience don't get and has physical challenges which aren't funny. Similarly, Sport Relief was padded out with comedy sketches involving sportspeople because challenges themselves weren't entertaining to watch. Neither being consistent enough is reflected in the declining ratings and fundraising totals.

RE: Red Nose Day - JMT1985 - 18-03-2023

if Red Nose Day and Children in Need are to continue, they simply need a revamp. For Children in Need, there was an opportunity after the death of Sir Terry Wogan to revamp the show, but it was never done.

Excuses about money mentioned by someone on here are not acceptable, the BBC has a massive budget, and remember back in the glory days of both shows, they found the money to make excellent nights of fun, this excuse shouldn't be used now.

Co-operation with other channels is needed. BBC needs to foster partnership with ITV, Channel 4 and possibly the streaming services to create better content for the telethons, as they did in the past. ITV and Channel 4 used to always get involved with the BBC for both telethons.

RE: Red Nose Day - Blubatt - 19-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 11:14 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  if Red Nose Day and Children in Need are to continue, they simply need a revamp. For Children in Need, there was an opportunity after the death of Sir Terry Wogan to revamp the show, but it was never done.

Excuses about money mentioned by someone on here are not acceptable, the BBC has a massive budget, and remember back in the glory days of both shows, they found the money to make excellent nights of fun, this excuse shouldn't be used now.

Co-operation with other channels is needed. BBC needs to foster partnership with ITV, Channel 4 and possibly the streaming services to create better content for the telethons, as they did in the past. ITV and Channel 4 used to always get involved with the BBC for both telethons.

Licence fee feezes and the eventual scrapping of the Licence Fee haven't helped though. But as I said a few pages ago, a full on revamp of Red Nose Day would be ideal, and Children in Need too. I used to raise money every other year for Red Nose Day, I did a sponsored silence where I used oversized signs to communicate in school, to the bemusement of my teachers. Raised £150 from it though. Nowadays, I wouldn't even bother.

RE: Red Nose Day - Brekkie - 19-03-2023

To be fair although it is rather unremarkable I think Children in Need has improved over the last few years but is somewhat lacking that figurehead.

RE: Red Nose Day - JAS84 - 19-03-2023

CIN never really replaced Terry Wogan, that's true.

RE: Red Nose Day - UTVLifer - 19-03-2023

Tess Daly sort of became the figurehead of the CIN presenting line-up in the 4 years between Terry Wogan's death and 2020, when the length of the appeal show was cut to 3 hours and there was a wholesale change of presenters (out with Tess, Graham Norton and Marvin and Rochelle Humes, in with Alex Scott and Chris Ramsey)

But they have been unable to replace Terry for sure and his absence is still felt coming up to a decade next year since his presented his final CIN show

RE: Red Nose Day - Steve in Pudsey - 19-03-2023

(18-03-2023, 11:14 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  if Red Nose Day and Children in Need are to continue, they simply need a revamp. For Children in Need, there was an opportunity after the death of Sir Terry Wogan to revamp the show, but it was never done.

Wouldn't that have been perceived as hugely disrespectful to Sir Terry's legacy? A revamp now, a few years later, is perhaps more feasible.

RE: Red Nose Day - Jon - 19-03-2023

(19-03-2023, 03:05 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  

Wouldn't that have been perceived as hugely disrespectful to Sir Terry's legacy? A revamp now, a few years later, is perhaps more feasible.
Would it have really been disrespectful? I’m sure Sir Terry would have wanted the show to move with the times and make the most money for the cause. That said saying “the show needs to revamp” is pretty meaningless because it could mean many things and I’m sure in many ways it probably does every year.

Thus discussion reminds me there was a report on Midlands Today a few weeks ago about a group of choir singers from the region performing in Birmingham city centre, which is laudable but it’s a bit of a dull way to raise money for COMIC relief, in years past you’d have expected them to have been spayed with baked beans whilst they do it, but bar a few red noses there was nothing comic about it. 

The most important thing for me would be for there to be a clear distinction between the format of the two telefon events. That Flow and Jo sketch rightly highlighted the fact it’s a bit crap now and the best bits show was the sort of thing that would have appeared every time but after 1am! It’s also weird that the two biggest comedy stars of the BBC (apart from that rubbish Eurovision skit) were no where to be seen.

That said I think the move to going yearly makes sense, as it’s probably a lot more difficult for people to notice something now and it should keeps schools and work places in the habit of marking the occasion. After all every other special day is yearly. I imagine ultimately it’s intended having it yearly will bring in more overall.