Pres Café
Red Nose Day - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Red Nose Day (/showthread.php?tid=372)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Red Nose Day - tellyblues - 20-03-2023

(19-03-2023, 03:54 PM)Jon Wrote:  Thus discussion reminds me there was a report on Midlands Today a few weeks ago about a group of choir singers from the region performing in Birmingham city centre, which is laudable but it’s a bit of a dull way to raise money for COMIC relief, in years past you’d have expected them to have been spayed with baked beans whilst they do it, but bar a few red noses there was nothing comic about it.

There are aspects of past telethons that would be out of the question nowadays such as Billy Connolly running around naked. Throwing baked beans or anything at people would be deemed a health and safety nightmare that people would be up in arms about, usually the same ones who thrive on shows about murder, deceit and other things, but the possibility of somebody getting wet is somehow "not on".

RE: Red Nose Day - James2001 - 20-03-2023

It's a good thing if we never have to see the likes of Billy Connelly streaking in Piccadilly Circus again, I've still not recovered from that 22 years on Tongue

RE: Red Nose Day - cable - 20-03-2023

(20-03-2023, 07:25 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  
(19-03-2023, 03:54 PM)Jon Wrote:  Thus discussion reminds me there was a report on Midlands Today a few weeks ago about a group of choir singers from the region performing in Birmingham city centre, which is laudable but it’s a bit of a dull way to raise money for COMIC relief, in years past you’d have expected them to have been spayed with baked beans whilst they do it, but bar a few red noses there was nothing comic about it.

There are aspects of past telethons that would be out of the question nowadays such as Billy Connolly running around naked. Throwing baked beans or anything at people would be deemed a health and safety nightmare that people would be up in arms about, usually the same ones who thrive on shows about murder, deceit and other things, but the possibility of somebody getting wet is somehow "not on".

There used to be that thing where they covered people coloured liquid. That was fun while it lasted.

RE: Red Nose Day - Larry the Loafer - 20-03-2023

Only just skimming through it tonight to see what I missed. Flo & Joan seemed to be speaking for a lot of us through that song, acknowledging how we've gone from so much anarchic and rebellious comedy to having Judi Dench on The Repair Shop, for one.

I figured the numbers would suffer, but I didn't think they'd be as bad as they were. I really do wonder when they'll reach a point where a huge revamp or reinvention becomes necessary, or - heaven forbid - scrapping it altogether.

RE: Red Nose Day - JMT1985 - 21-03-2023

With the money which both Comic Relief and Children in Need raise every year, there is no danger in it ever ending.

RE: Red Nose Day - madmusician - 21-03-2023

Now, I haven’t watched either telethon for years, but did they not try a rather radical ‘revamp’ of Comic Relief roughly six years ago, when they had a ‘comedy club’ feel and did it live from the O2 and it all went really badly?! So it’s not as though they haven’t tried different formats over recent years.

It’s funny, I remember threads on TVF from as long ago as 16 years ago bemoaning that Comic Relief had lost its ‘edge’ and its ‘live appeal’, so this is not a new problem (although perhaps things are getting worse!)

I think there’s just an element of it being a bigger thing in the past, alongside the (very natural) rose-tinted spectacles. For me, the 2001-7 ones were the ones I really identify with as that was when I was aged between 9 and 15 and they felt really special.

RE: Red Nose Day - Brekkie - 21-03-2023

(19-03-2023, 02:36 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  CIN never really replaced Terry Wogan, that's true.

Although I've seen one local website (BirmighamLive I think) lifting the Twitter quotes without fact checking about how Red Nose Day isn't the same now Terry Wogan doesn't present it.

BTW is the US version of Red Nose Day still going?

RE: Red Nose Day - JMT1985 - 21-03-2023

(21-03-2023, 08:46 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(19-03-2023, 02:36 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  CIN never really replaced Terry Wogan, that's true.

Although I've seen one local website (BirmighamLive I think) lifting the Twitter quotes without fact checking about how Red Nose Day isn't the same now Terry Wogan doesn't present it.

The US version ended after their 2010 event and the whole company was dissolved by 2011

RE: Red Nose Day - Andrew - 21-03-2023

(21-03-2023, 03:30 PM)madmusician Wrote:  Now, I haven’t watched either telethon for years, but did they not try a rather radical ‘revamp’ of Comic Relief roughly six years ago, when they had a ‘comedy club’ feel and did it live from the O2 and it all went really badly?! So it’s not as though they haven’t tried different formats over recent years.
Weren’t the main reasons for it not working, firstly sound issues, where the ‘clubbers’ in the main part we’re talking amongst themselves, particularly when items were going on off the main stage in the wings, and secondly because Richard Osman did that ‘World cup of biscuits’ thing that worked ok as a bit of fun on Twitter but didn’t translate to TV

I’d welcome a change now though, if they carry on with the telethon, I don’t want to see standard BBC safe presenters standing on a stage in Salford reading autocue into VTs. This and Children in Need are so similar I’m surprised they don’t just have a single set with the lighting changing from red to yellow

RE: Red Nose Day - Jon - 21-03-2023

(21-03-2023, 08:46 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  

Sort of. It seems in 2022 they just repeated a special Red Nose Day gameshow and in 2021 they had a night of themed special programming. The last proper one seemed to be 2020. 

Although in terms of imports to the US I’d say it lasted quite well.