Pres Café
Red Nose Day - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Red Nose Day (/showthread.php?tid=372)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Red Nose Day - RhysJR - 13-03-2023

Confirmed again that Kylie Minogue will star in a special sketch from Ghosts (a comedy programme on the BBC that aired on Christmas let us not forget).

If I remember correctly, Kylie on Ghosts for Comic Relief was due to happen a few years ago but got pulled at very short notice (i..e. less than a week to go) because of COVID cases. I'm a bit confused by this because from what I can see from these clips it will be a pre-recorded feature on location.

https://twitter.com/kylieminogue/status/1634860365182820352?s=20 

https://twitter.com/Kev00221/status/1634599810601742344?s=20 

RE: Red Nose Day - Brekkie - 13-03-2023

Noteably no Lenny Henry involvement amongst the presenting line up this year - think he missed one before when he was doing Othello so is he otherwise engaged this year?

And I know the "white saviour" thing was somewhat rightly criticised but I do think these telethons miss the films with the celebs seeing first hand how the money raised was used and meeting the people on the ground who did the work. It's always easier for viewers to connect with people being interviewed in person on camera than just talking straight to the camera - and just like a news report is more impactful with a reporter on the ground rather than just pictures and soundbites from locals the same is the case here.

RE: Red Nose Day - Steve in Pudsey - 15-03-2023

Is that just a feature of it being a shorter show these days and in the time available they want to use people who are seen as more relevant and more likely to attract donations?

If you go back to the early days it was a real who's who of British comedy, even the likes of Ernie Wise and the Two Ronnies contributed.

It's lost the edge it got from having a bunch of comedians (and Jim Davidson) presenting. Although I suppose these days there are so many stand ups who have presenting experience that it could all feel pretty safe anyway.

RE: Red Nose Day - JMT1985 - 15-03-2023

It is also down to the change of attitude and viewing style of this current generation - Comic Relief was created in an era of just four television channels. Today we are in a vastly different world, and so the attention span of viewers remains short.

Streaming has helped viewers not to have to wait for anything anymore. Netflix, iPlayer, Apple, Disney, Amazon etc all help to watch shows in huge chunks with no commercials.

YouTube is a great place for example for little clips of popular shows, such as US talk shows, where the current generation would rather watch a Stephen Colbert monologue and maybe one of his interviews, than sit through the entire 62 minutes of his show.

So Comic Relief and Children in Need have chosen to shorten their telethons to three hours, and it still works. I mean in the days of the show running until 2am, was their a vast amount of money raised on those last two or three hours on air? Especially when come midnight, those telethons seem to run out of steam, and come to a grinding halt, with presenters trying so hard to keep the audience in the studio and the viewers at home from falling asleep.

RE: Red Nose Day - tellyblues - 15-03-2023

Added to the lack of traditional sitcoms, comedians know they have to sell tickets for gigs so will save their material for then. I doubt though many of them could muster up a suitable routine anyway as it is mostly politics and current affairs based material nowadays.

RE: Red Nose Day - Andrew - 15-03-2023

If that line “You can’t be S Club 7, they’re a bunch of teenagers” is seen as the best line that it’s worthy of the trailer, then a god help the rest of the line up

RE: Red Nose Day - Brekkie - 16-03-2023

(15-03-2023, 05:17 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  It is also down to the change of attitude and viewing style of this current generation - Comic Relief was created in an era of just four television channels.  Today we are in a vastly different world, and so the attention span of viewers remains short.

Streaming has helped viewers not to have to wait for anything anymore. Netflix, iPlayer, Apple, Disney, Amazon etc all help to watch shows in huge chunks with no commercials.

YouTube is a great place for example for little clips of popular shows, such as US talk shows, where the current generation would rather watch a Stephen Colbert monologue and maybe one of his interviews, than sit through the entire 62 minutes of his show.

So Comic Relief and Children in Need have chosen to shorten their telethons to three hours, and it still works. I mean in the days of the show running until 2am, was their a vast amount of money raised on those last two or three hours on air?  Especially when come midnight, those telethons seem to run out of steam, and come to a grinding halt, with presenters trying so hard to keep the audience in the studio and the viewers at home from falling asleep.

I would argue though that the change in the landscape is exactly why they should try and stand out with a full length telethon - and often when they ran out of steam around midnight that is when they actually could hit their stride, in the right hands at least.

I doubt Comic Relief night gets much on demand traction via the iPlayer so concentrate on the live show and live broadcast - and if you double the length of that show you increase the amount of potentially viral short form content too.

I do agree though the biggest issue is the lack of comedy and formats that can be called upon to be part of the night - but there is still more they could do. Something like a Live at the Apollo - LIVE would be great for after the news. And a live edition of Graham Norton could be easy filler for both Comic Relief and Children in Need.

RE: Red Nose Day - JMT1985 - 16-03-2023

(16-03-2023, 09:24 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(15-03-2023, 05:17 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  It is also down to the change of attitude and viewing style of this current generation - Comic Relief was created in an era of just four television channels.  Today we are in a vastly different world, and so the attention span of viewers remains short.

So Comic Relief and Children in Need have chosen to shorten their telethons to three hours, and it still works. I mean in the days of the show running until 2am, was their a vast amount of money raised on those last two or three hours on air?  Especially when come midnight, those telethons seem to run out of steam, and come to a grinding halt, with presenters trying so hard to keep the audience in the studio and the viewers at home from falling asleep.

I would argue though that the change in the landscape is exactly why they should try and stand out with a full length telethon - and often when they ran out of steam around midnight that is when they actually could hit their stride, in the right hands at least.

I doubt Comic Relief night gets much on demand traction via the iPlayer so concentrate on the live show and live broadcast - and if you double the length of that show you increase the amount of potentially viral short form content too.

I do agree though the biggest issue is the lack of comedy and formats that can be called upon to be part of the night - but there is still more they could do.  Something like a Live at the Apollo - LIVE would be great for after the news.    And a live edition of Graham Norton could be easy filler for both Comic Relief and Children in Need.
Well they did try a Graham Norton talk show special one year, where his sofa was increased by a large amount, and it simply fell plat. Graham himself said he would never ever do a live edition of his talk show for any reason, as it is the editing of the show which makes the show's pace run decent. Live edition will simply fall flat on it's face. 

I agree, we need to go back to the early 90s style of Comic Relief, I was watching the 1993 Comic Relief song video of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and it was superb, brought back memories for me as a 7 and a half year old watching this special routine. We don't have that anymore. Some comedians just don't want to be associated with Comic Relief or Children in Need anymore.

RE: Red Nose Day - Nemesis Nick - 17-03-2023

Today is Friday 17 March 2023 - Red Nose Day 2023. From 1989 to 2021, Red Nose Day was a two-yearly fundraising event, in odd-numbered years only, for Comic Relief. For some reason, Comic Relief decided to make Red Nose Day an annual event since 2022. Quite frankly though, as far as I'm concerned, today looks set to be just another plain, ordinary Friday, no different to any other Friday. For starters, I'm not going to do anything silly with my hair or face, which is what people have been encouraged to do on Red Nose Day in past years. I haven't bought myself any of this year's Red Nose Day T-shirts, as I wasn't that keen on this year's designs. Although I have a collection of Red Nose Day T-shirts from past years, I'm not even wearing one of my past Red Nose Day T-shirts today. For those of you who are fundraising for Red Nose Day 2023 today, happy fundraising.

This year's Red Nose Day TV coverage is fairly similar to the last two years. The main show will be on BBC One this evening from 19:00 to 22:00. After the news, Comic Relief: The Best of the Best Bits is on BBC One from 22:40 to 23:50, featuring highlights from 35 years of Red Nose Day. The rest of the evening's schedule, on BBC One, appears to be unconnected with Comic Relief. In addition, BBC Two is showing When Comic Relief Did Big Brother from 22:00 to 22:35, presumably intended as a filler against the news. All in all, an interesting looking line-up this evening. For some mysterious reason, the BBC have decided not to have a long Red Nose Day show from 22:40 until well after midnight (about 3 to 4 hours altogether) on BBC One again this year, unlike pre-2021.

The question is, will any of tonight's line-up be worth watching? Each odd-numbered year from 2003 to 2015 I watched it off-air until late (usually midnight) and the rest on video next day. Looking back, I don't know how I tolerated sitting through them, because each time I thought the shows were predominantly a load of utter stupidity and tommyrot. Many of the sketches over the years have been terrible (e.g. Simon Cowell's wedding in 2013, Mr. Bean at the funeral in 2015). Unlike Children in Need TV shows in November, the Red Nose Day TV shows over the years featured very few pop songs (however in 2009 there was a Top of the Pops Red Nose Day special on BBC Two whilst the 10 o'clock News was on BBC One). I didn't bother watching any part of the Red Nose Day TV Shows in 2017 and 2019 as I thought the entertainment would be just as bad, if not worse.

RE: Red Nose Day - UTVLifer - 17-03-2023

It feels like David Tennant has been given about 85 Red Bulls in order to make up for Lenny Henry's absence tonight