Pres Café
Gogglebox - Tenth Anniversary - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Gogglebox - Tenth Anniversary (/showthread.php?tid=378)

Pages: 1 2

Gogglebox - Tenth Anniversary - DeMarkay - 07-03-2023

Today, Gogglebox celebrates its tenth anniversary.

Who would've thought that a show where the British public watch other members of the British public watching TV would do so well?

Also very exciting news - Gogglebox favourites Steph and Dom as well as Sandi and Sandra will return to the show for a one-off 90 minute special featuring old faces and current favourites.

What are your memories of Gogglebox and who are your favourite families past and present?

RE: Gogglebox - Tenth Anniversary - Bluecortina - 07-03-2023

We used to watch it at first due to the novelty and obvious naivety value. But we haven't watched it for many, many years.

We thought some of the participants were clearly becoming more aware of their 'performances' to camera and acting accordingly. To be honest I thought then it needed a much greater turnover of participants.

RE: Gogglebox - Tenth Anniversary - strollfan - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 04:27 PM)Bluecortina Wrote:  We used to watch it at first due to the novelty and obvious naivety value. But we haven't watched it for many, many years.

We thought some of the participants were clearly becoming more aware of their 'performances' to camera and acting accordingly. To be honest I thought then it needed a much greater turnover of participants.

Agree totally with the latter point - I still put it on from time to time, and some of the earlier cast who are still around are enjoyable. But it feels as though every recent addition is playing up for the cameras and trying to be funny and popular. Loses the point of being an insight on normal families and people if every one of them is just there to try and get famous.

RE: Gogglebox - Tenth Anniversary - VMPhil - 07-03-2023

Surely everyone in that programme is playing up for the cameras by the very nature of it.

I actually watched the first episode and I wasn't a fan because of the obvious performance all the participants were putting on.

Now, you might reasonably say that if I don't watch it, I don't need to comment on it and be negative. Well, I don't mind the show being successful and other people liking it, that's fine. But I cannot forgive it for it directly leading to that period where every other programme seemed to need some sort of Googlebox-esque element added to it, such as the dreadful Watchdog anniversary programme.

RE: Gogglebox - Tenth Anniversary - Larry the Loafer - 07-03-2023

I'm tempted to the side with the common argument that the participants act up to the cameras more than they used to, especially since people like Scarlett have been able to forge careers from it. But I suppose the responsibility lies with the producers/scouts who find the people to partake. On one hand, they should be looking for natural people who can give the most authentic reactions. But, on the other hand, I suppose it could be argued that the entertainment comes from the "performances" of the cast.

I stopped watching for a long time for that exact reason, though I admit I've been dropping in on it more recently. That's probably owing to a total lack of better alternatives on a Friday night.

RE: Gogglebox - Tenth Anniversary - fanoftv - 07-03-2023

I still watch the programme as it gives me a chance to see samples of the latest programmes to help me to decide whether they’re worth investing my time into.

RE: Gogglebox - Tenth Anniversary - JAS84 - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 04:43 PM)strollfan Wrote:  
(07-03-2023, 04:27 PM)Bluecortina Wrote:  We used to watch it at first due to the novelty and obvious naivety value. But we haven't watched it for many, many years.

Agree totally with the latter point - I still put it on from time to time, and some of the earlier cast who are still around are enjoyable. But it feels as though every recent addition is playing up for the cameras and trying to be funny and popular. Loses the point of being an insight on normal families and people if every one of them is just there to try and get famous.

How many actually DID get famous, to the point of getting other work because of it? I can only think of one, Scarlett Moffett.

RE: Gogglebox - Tenth Anniversary - Jon - 07-03-2023

(07-03-2023, 07:14 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  
(07-03-2023, 04:43 PM)strollfan Wrote:  Agree totally with the latter point - I still put it on from time to time, and some of the earlier cast who are still around are enjoyable. But it feels as though every recent addition is playing up for the cameras and trying to be funny and popular. Loses the point of being an insight on normal families and people if every one of them is just there to try and get famous.

How many actually DID get famous, to the point of getting other work because of it? I can only think of one, Scarlett Moffett.
The Vicar lady has got a lot of work out of it, that Steph and Dom got a few documentaries and a show on TalkRADIO but seem to have a disappeared and a few have tried to go onto to do other reality shows usually at the cast of their place on Gogglebox.

RE: Gogglebox - Tenth Anniversary - London Lite - 07-03-2023

I seem to remember another couple doing EE adverts before one of them returned to working on Gogglebox.

RE: Gogglebox - Tenth Anniversary - Brekkie - 07-03-2023

Just shows how giving a series a chance to grow and supporting it can turn something which genuinely was on the bubble in it's first series and could easily have been axed and never spoken about again to C4's biggest original hit of the decade.

I didn't watch the first few series and then began watching regularly, but for me it's now just something I'll watch if I catch it rather than making sure I'll see it - but that's as much down to the content on each series being quite repetitive (we don't need to see them dancing to the Strictly theme every week) rather than the show itself, which I think refreshes it's cast quite nicely - though does hang on to some participants a little bit too long.