Pres Café
Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy (/showthread.php?tid=381)

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Newshound47 - 10-03-2023

I’m not sure Alex Scott would be willing to take it particularly now Ian Wright who she has worked with many times is refusing to appear.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Ash101 - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 06:46 PM)London Lite Wrote:  
(10-03-2023, 06:43 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Meanwhile, over at 5 News…
https://twitter.com/dominicpenna/status/1634247735766294540?s=46&t=uYc2nILLUU7TByduAbmbxg 

This is why having Dan Walker on board is so important for 5 News.

Agree - this is a great clip for Channel 5 News & someone is doing their job right by having it clipped up on Twitter within minutes.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - thomalex - 10-03-2023

What a mess this is turning into. It's now open war, will anyone be left to present it at this rate?

The BBC are the ones at fault here. They've muddled on for too long, you either explicitly state what presenters are allowed to publicly say or you don't.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - matthieu1221 - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 06:48 PM)thePineapple Wrote:  Regarding Richard Osman's stance, I see no reason why him tweeting in support of Lineker is any different to what Lineker said himself - they both freelance for the BBC (or at least I assume Osman is), but Tim Davie hasn't pulled him aside, and there's been no anti-Osman headlines.

This is what I don't get - this obsession with Lineker in particular is purely arbitrary, from what I can make out.

He's a thorn in the back of the current government working for what they think should be state media rather than a public broadcaster.

Also there is a difference between tweeting in support of Lineker and him repeating what Lineker said about the asylum plans.

(10-03-2023, 06:54 PM)thomalex Wrote:  What a mess this is turning into. It's now open war, will anyone be left to present it at this rate?

The BBC are the ones at fault here. They've muddled on for too long, you either explicitly state what presenters are allowed to publicly say or you don't.

And they should apply the rules to either *everybody* or *nobody*.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - qwerty123 - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 06:48 PM)thePineapple Wrote:  Regarding Richard Osman's stance, I see no reason why him tweeting in support of Lineker is any different to what Lineker said himself - they both freelance for the BBC (or at least I assume Osman is), but there's been no big headlines, and Tim Davie hasn't pulled him aside. 

This is what I don't get - this obsession with Lineker in particular is purely arbitrary, from what I can make out.
Does Osman freelance for the BBC or does he appear on independent productions that are commissioned by or broadcast on it?

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Omnipresent - 10-03-2023

Activate BBC Self Flagellation 24!

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Andrew - 10-03-2023

Typical BBC indecisiveness like something out of W1A where they let it rumble on for days and then when you think it’s sorted, they bring it up again and make a decision

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Ash101 - 10-03-2023

And of course it leads the BBC News at Six....

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - IanJRedman - 10-03-2023

I'm sure Gary himself isn't worried about any of this in the slightest. Practically every other broadcaster would be queueing up for him, and at a far higher salary, one assumes.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Newsroom - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 07:10 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  I'm sure Gary himself isn't worried about any of this in the slightest. Practically every other broadcaster would be queueing up for him, and at a far higher salary, one assumes.

Positively loving what this is doing for him. 

Tim Davie should be shown the door over this. Terribly managed. He is entirely out of touch with reality!