Pres Café
Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy (/showthread.php?tid=381)

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Steve in Pudsey - 11-03-2023

Hudson is also BBC Yorkshire's climate correspondent, so would definitely fall under the news remit even if his weather role could be argued to be non-news

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Stockland Hillman - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 02:48 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 02:46 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  What live , regular presenter do they not apply to? Example?

They certainly didn't apply to Andrew Neil

[Image: Fq76XiuXgAA28tZ?format=jpg&name=small]

The complaint was regarding his promotion of a controversial Spectator magazine report on twitter.

It was rejected. As its a commercial activity,  just as Gary Lineker wouldn't be found in breach for talking about Crisps,  despite childhood obesity

It's not the same thing. 

The BBC can't trust a live presenter who's openly choosing which rules to follow. No responsible broadcaster can.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - orange - 11-03-2023

He has deleted the tweet but it’s seemingly too late - I do not understand why you would want to act this unprofessionally and paint a target on your back this badly during a storm of public outrage when tempers are high, especially as a weatherman little known out of their broadcast area?

I didn’t know about him before and now I know about him for the wrong reasons - What a really strange thing to do.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - James2001 - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 03:00 PM)orange Wrote:  He has deleted the tweet but it’s seemingly too late - I do not understand why you would want to act this unprofessionally and paint a target on your back this badly during a storm of public outrage when tempers are high, especially as a weatherman little known out of their broadcast area?

I didn’t know about him before and now I know about him for the wrong reasons - What a really strange thing to do.

I remember in the early days of the blue place there was a poster completely obsessed with him... but we're getting off topic there.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - dvboy - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 02:34 PM)dvboy Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 02:07 PM)dvboy Wrote:  5 Live still airing podcasts.
I assume the 6 Nations commentary that was due to be on Sports Extra at 13:30 will get moved to 5 Live.
There is due to be tennis commentary from Indian Wells on the website from 19:00. That would fill the gap left by 6-0-6.

BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra is taking BBC Radio Wales commentary of Italy vs Wales in the 6 Nations - edit: this is as planned,

More podcasts on BBC Radio 5 Live.

BBC Radio 5 Live joined BBC Radio Wales after the 14:00 news for the first half.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Steve in Pudsey - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 02:59 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 02:48 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  They certainly didn't apply to Andrew Neil

[Image: Fq76XiuXgAA28tZ?format=jpg&name=small]

The complaint was regarding his promotion of a controversial Spectator magazine report on twitter.

It was rejected. As its a commercial activity,  just as Gary Lineker wouldn't be found in breach for talking about Crisps,  despite childhood obesity

It's not the same thing. 

The BBC can't trust a live presenter who's openly choosing which rules to follow. No responsible broadcaster can.

https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1634489134692663296 

The main Five Live is taking Radio Wales commentary now, btw.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - CF1 - 11-03-2023

If Lineker resigns in the next few hours, I seriously worry for the future of BBC Sport as a whole.

Well done, Tim Davie.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - lhx1985 - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 02:59 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  It was rejected. As its a commercial activity,  just as Gary Lineker wouldn't be found in breach for talking about Crisps,  despite childhood obesity

It's not the same thing. 

So if lineker had have benefited financially from his tweet, you'd have been fine with it?

It's the voluntary nature of him exercising his freedom of speech you take issue with?

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Jeff - 11-03-2023

The BBC have released the following statement about the programming disruptions today:

https://twitter.com/danroan/status/1634560315168882688

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Milkshake - 11-03-2023

What is the actually story now?

Is it because Gary voice a opinion?
Is it because Gary alienated half the viewer with that opinion?

Is it because Gary was taken off air?
Is it because there was double standards?
Is it because DG is also wrong?
Is it because everyone else has jumped in to take a side hoping to make some sort of silly gesture?