Pres Café
Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy (/showthread.php?tid=381)

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - lhx1985 - 11-03-2023

BBC News (24) currently showing the Travel Show but with the EPG and the on screen programme bug showing 'Sportsday'.

Was this a casualty of the crisis or just a mistake?

[Image: e1071d5a800fe6377850e528ee3718930d813f94.jpeg]

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Omnipresent - 11-03-2023

A BBC News "exclusive" interview with its own Editor In Chief coming up:

https://twitter.com/NomiaIqbal/status/1634628029908385792 

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Adsales - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 07:29 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bbc-gary-lineker-sack-contract-b2298816.html 

The BBC fears it cannot sack Gary Lineker or force him to follow social media rules on impartiality because of ambiguities in his contract, The Independent understands.

The corporation would be forced to pay millions if they wanted to oust Lineker and would likely lose any legal claim brought by the Match of the Day presenter, senior figures believe.

Lineker, who was forced off air after comparing the government's asylum policy to Nazi Germany on Twitter, is understood to be on a two-year contract negotiated before current director general Tim Davie was appointed.

Mr Davie has repeatedly emphasised the importance of the BBC’s impartiality and led a crackdown on BBC stars making political comments on social media.

But Lineker’s contract was already in place and has not been updated, handing an important advantage to the presenter as the dispute intensifies.

What did I say last night? If correct it sums up what I have experienced time and time again when it comes administration functions at the BBC.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - CF1 - 11-03-2023

It seems odd to me that Tim Davie remains out there in the US as the BBC implodes from within back here in the UK.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - orange - 11-03-2023

I guess the next question is will he (Davie) jump or will he be pushed?

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - AJB39 - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 07:56 PM)lhx1985 Wrote:  BBC News (24) currently showing the Travel Show but with the EPG and the on screen programme bug showing 'Sportsday'.

Was this a casualty of the crisis or just a mistake?

Sportsday did air for 15 minutes followed by a short 15 minutes Travel Show.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Adsales - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 07:43 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 07:15 PM)Adsales Wrote:  Ok so if you please check the section about the obligations about the “duties and obligations” of the consultant (the provider of the services) then you’ll see that the wording is as follows:

During the Engagement the Consultant shall comply with the Client's policies on [social media] [use of information and communication systems] [anti-harassment and bullying] [no smoking] [dress code] [substance misuse] [OTHER RELEVANT POLICY].

Engagement is defined in common and case law as the periods during which the consultant provides services to the client. In other words, in this case the occasions where Lineker is working for the BBC. Not while he works for other companies or where he does in general not represent the BBC.

The sole legally valid restrictions on a contractor are confidentiality, IP, disparaging actions, poaching (clients and staff) and not to perform services which are deemed similar to a competitor.

This is further underlined by HMRC IR35 assessments and seemingly the BBC has provided evidence that he is outside of IR35 to HMRC.

If he were employed then this would be an entirely different kettle of fish with social media policies for example reaching all the way into entirely personal posts, out of working hours and the BBC would be in full control.
I generally agree for contractors there are such limits; however performers ARE treated differently,  as their value is in part the 'brand' they bring to the work rather than just work activity.  If they arguably damage their brand they devalue the work or cost the contracting party value in financial or reputational terms. 

Hence different value, and different obligations to those doing an interchangeable task/job/function 

Nobody is hiring Gary Lineker to turn up at a studio and read an autocue, chat with guests, appear in some promotional pictures for £1.3 million. The overall package of reputation,  image, performance ability,  contemporary opinions of the audience that like him is the value he brings in addition to the functional skills [which is us very good at]

I see where we take a different view now  i understand your position - its well founded-but disagree.

We don’t have to agree and I get where you’re coming from but unfortunately the law doesn’t differentiate between performers and a big standard IT consultant. The same rules apply.

And then there’s of course the issue I highlighted last night and which in fact seems to be the case as reported by the Independent. His contract is likely the same it was in 1999 save as to fees and maybe the addition of data protection changes post GDPR.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Newshound47 - 11-03-2023

When someone says they won’t resign the majority of times they will end up resigning within a short period of time.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - agentsquash - 11-03-2023

They’ve scheduled Sully in the slot which MOTD should’ve been in. It’ll be a miracle if they sort this mess out any time soon.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Stockland Hillman - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 07:58 PM)Adsales Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 07:29 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bbc-gary-lineker-sack-contract-b2298816.html 

The BBC fears it cannot sack Gary Lineker or force him to follow social media rules on impartiality because of ambiguities in his contract, The Independent understands.

The corporation would be forced to pay millions if they wanted to oust Lineker and would likely lose any legal claim brought by the Match of the Day presenter, senior figures believe.

Lineker, who was forced off air after comparing the government's asylum policy to Nazi Germany on Twitter, is understood to be on a two-year contract negotiated before current director general Tim Davie was appointed.

Mr Davie has repeatedly emphasised the importance of the BBC’s impartiality and led a crackdown on BBC stars making political comments on social media.

But Lineker’s contract was already in place and has not been updated, handing an important advantage to the presenter as the dispute intensifies.

What did I say last night? If correct it sums up the what I have experienced time and time again when it comes administration functions at the BBC.
Wouldn't have happened like this in a commercial world £5b a year organisation

Tim Davie was appointed in Sep 2020   it was a 2 year contract , its either past that point or will run to end of this football season.

Put him back on air , be clear the non negotiable terms of the new deal offered and let it playout would be my call, or just pay off the last 3 months.

Either way, there is no way back for either side, and the BBC should stop trying to hold onto him.  Time to move on for all