Pres Café
Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy (/showthread.php?tid=381)

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Steve in Pudsey - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 07:59 PM)CF1 Wrote:  It seems odd to me that Tim Davie remains out there in the US as the BBC implodes from within back here in the UK.

I'm not sure him being out of contact for 9 hours on a flight would help matters.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - oscillon - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 08:06 PM)agentsquash Wrote:  They’ve scheduled Sully in the slot which MOTD should’ve been in. It’ll be a miracle if they sort this mess out any time soon.
For some reason they also ditched the movie (At Any Price) that was supposed to be after MOTD.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - CF1 - 11-03-2023

The arrogance of Tim Davie in that interview is something else. The fact he's "sorry" but this is entirely of his and BBC management's making.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Stooky Bill - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 07:40 PM)Division2023 Wrote:  Could the BBC just not reuse the radio commentary from 5 Live and their local stations?
5 Live will probably only have live commentary from one match and the local stations don't necessarily do Premier League matches. 

Radio commentary is different to TV commentary. Local radio commentary is usually biased towards one team so not that suitable

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Adsales - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 08:08 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 07:58 PM)Adsales Wrote:  What did I say last night? If correct it sums up the what I have experienced time and time again when it comes administration functions at the BBC.
Wouldn't have happened like this in a commercial world £5b a year organisation

Tim Davie was appointed in Sep 2020   it was a 2 year contract , its either past that point or will run to end of this football season.

Put him back on air , be clear the non negotiable terms of the new deal offered and let it playout would be my call, or just pay off the last 3 months.

Either way, there is no way back for either side, and the BBC should stop trying to hold onto him.  Time to move on for all

Contract runs until 2025.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/gary-lineker-contract 

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Jon - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 08:15 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 07:40 PM)Division2023 Wrote:  Could the BBC just not reuse the radio commentary from 5 Live and their local stations?
5 Live will probably only have live commentary from one match and the local stations don't necessarily do Premier League matches. 
Although I’d imagine most matches will have at least one BBC commentary. I think a lot of the time those delivering reports are also commentary so audio goal clips can be used. Even IRN reporters used to (maybe still do) commentate on every game, no idea if those commentaries were heard in full anywhere, but I’d imagine it’s a standard practice at the BBC too. 

I think any biases would be get possible to get around in the edit.

Radio commentary wouldn’t be ideal but better than silence.

Although comes with other issues. Such as commentators not wishing their commentary to appear on tonight’s programme and more production to make it usable.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - UTVLifer - 11-03-2023

All the meta-paradoxes
https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1634632976095903744?s=46&t=uYc2nILLUU7TByduAbmbxg 

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - lhx1985 - 11-03-2023

The 1900 bulletin on BBC News (24) just now was, erm, 'interesting', presentationaly. 

[list]
[*]60+ sec countdown straight out of the travel show credits. 
[/list]

[list]
[*]No headlines, at the top of the hour, just titles. 
[/list]

[list]
[*]Lukwesa Burak giving a stilted introduction to the Tim Davie 'interview'*
[/list]

[list]
[*]Very awkward studio discussion between Lukwesa and a media correspondent who looked visibly uncomfortable. 
[/list]

If this was a clip from a news broadcast from another part of the world, you would have been forgiven for worrying if they were on air at gun point.

* Is it an interview when the person you are attempting to hold to account has the power to sack you if he doesn't like your line of questioning?

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Juicy Joe - 11-03-2023

I suppose it is interesting to see how long an actual clean programme would be without any of the padding. 20 minutes compared to 1 hour 20 minutes. Assuming they are showing all of the scheduled matches, that means there is usually a LOT of padding & not much action. Having said that, Gary Lineker,the analysis & punditry is very much the programme so maybe the 1 hour faff is worth it.

Newshound47 - Newshound47 - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 08:09 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 07:59 PM)CF1 Wrote:  It seems odd to me that Tim Davie remains out there in the US as the BBC implodes from within back here in the UK.

I'm not sure him being out of contact for 9 hours on a flight would help matters.

Wifi is available on a lot of flights now.