Pres Café
Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy (/showthread.php?tid=381)

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Spencer - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 08:09 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 07:59 PM)CF1 Wrote:  It seems odd to me that Tim Davie remains out there in the US as the BBC implodes from within back here in the UK.

I'm not sure him being out of contact for 9 hours on a flight would help matters.
I believe BA and other airlines have wifi on many of their transatlantic flights these days.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Jon - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 08:24 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  I suppose it is interesting to see how long an actual clean programme would be without any of the padding. 20 minutes compared to 1 hour 20 minutes. Assuming they are showing all of the scheduled matches, that means there is usually a LOT of padding & not much action. Having said that, Gary Lineker,the analysis & punditry is very much the programme so maybe the 1 hour faff is worth it.
Highlight edits must be shorter, because they’re usually about 6-8 minutes long apparently and there is a lot of games too.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - CF1 - 11-03-2023

Tim Davie just talks in contradictions - he wants to get Gary Lineker back on air, but he's the one who suspended him.

One positive from the interview - I did think Nomia Iqbal's questioning was good, even if Davie dodged much of it.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - JMT1985 - 11-03-2023

The GB News website is a disgrace covering this story. I just went there, and couldn't believe their gloating at the BBC.

It is situations like this which the BBC are in that showcases the nasty side of GB News.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Jon - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 08:38 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  The GB News website is a disgrace covering this story. I just went there, and couldn't believe their gloating at the BBC.

It is situations like this which the BBC are in that showcases the nasty side of GB News.
Not their coverage of the ‘small boats’ crisis, that has helped caused this situation in the first place?

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - TMD_24 - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 08:38 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  The GB News website is a disgrace covering this story. I just went there, and couldn't believe their gloating at the BBC.

They also sent this extremely unprofessional tweet as well earlier which would get outrour if that was the BBC, Sky or any other broadcaster.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1634611663948193793?s=20 

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Kojak - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 08:46 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  

They also sent this extremely unprofessional tweet as well earlier which would get outrour if that was the BBC, Sky or any other broadcaster.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1634611663948193793?s=20 
I don't know why anyone here is so surprised. It's GB News - clickbait is what they do. It could be worse - Neil Oliver could somehow link it to vaccines or the new world order!

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - CF1 - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 08:22 PM)lhx1985 Wrote:  The 1900 bulletin on BBC News (24) just now was, erm, 'interesting', presentationaly. 

[list]
[*]60+ sec countdown straight out of the travel show credits. 
[/list]

[list]
[*]No headlines, at the top of the hour, just titles. 
[/list]

[list]
[*]Lukwesa Burak giving a stilted introduction to the Tim Davie 'interview'*
[/list]

[list]
[*]Very awkward studio discussion between Lukwesa and a media correspondent who looked visibly uncomfortable. 
[/list]

If this was a clip from a news broadcast from another part of the world, you would have been forgiven for worrying if they were on air at gun point.

* Is it an interview when the person you are attempting to hold to account has the power to sack you if he doesn't like your line of questioning?

It didn't help that the camera lingered on the correspondent, Charlotte Gallagher, for longer than desirable once the discussion with Lukwesa Burak ended, presumably to allow for the BBC World opt-out. Gallagher looked very uncomfortable (understandably).

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - AaronTV - 11-03-2023

Out of interest, I’m assuming everyone would be equally supportive of Lineker if he had come out strongly in favour of the Government’s illegal immigration plan and had then been taken off air?

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Keith - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 06:19 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 05:31 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  But he clearly hasn't breached the policy, the example of a sports presenter commenting on politics being low risk to the BBC reputation and impartiality is explicitly given in the Editorial guidelines.
Any controversy should have been met with a statement from the BBC saying “Lineker’s views are his own and not that of the corporation, as a freelancer who presents non-news programming, he’s entitled to publish his own views on other platforms, his views aren’t representative of the BBC which is politically neutral”. It wouldn’t have shut people up, but it would have avoided this much bigger mess.

The standard needs to be the same whether it’s Jeremy Clarkson a few years ago or Lord Sugar. And depend on whether elements of the press choose to make an issue out of it.
This would probably have been a better solution to have avoided today's programming problems. They could have even thrown in a "we'll be reviewing our social media guidelines for non-BBC News staff" to try and appease the government. Then when Lineker's contract next comes up for renewal either force him to sign a specific clause regarding social media or simply replace him.

It is slightly amusing to have a BBC News reporter essentially grilling their boss. According to Nomia a few minutes ago the DG hadn't seen her questions in advance.