Pres Café
Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy (/showthread.php?tid=381)

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - lhx1985 - 11-03-2023

How so?

Tell me so I can at least try to dig upwards.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Adsales - 11-03-2023

YouGov flash poll just finished…

BBC right to suspend 27% 
BBC wrong to suspend 53%

Other presenters pulling out in solidarity
Right 51% Wrong 28%

I’ll add a link when it’s up on their website.

(11-03-2023, 10:07 PM)Dougal Wrote:  It's very much an international story...

Canada: 4th most popular story on CBC; 9th story on CTV.
Australia: 5th story on the ABC w/ analysis piece under Features section.
New Zealand: 2nd "World" story on TVNZ; lead "Sport" story on TVNZ.
US: Above the fold on NYTimes; Above the fold on Washington Post.

Same in France, Italy, Spain and Germany.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Andrew - 11-03-2023

So what do we think will happen next?

Will Lineker get reinstated? Will Davey resign? Will the unofficial strike spread further to other departments? Will we still be talking about this next week?

After what has happened I can’t see Lineker having a long term future at the BBC. He’s either already gone or he’ll come back and just see out the rest of his contract

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Stooky Bill - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 09:49 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  
Quote:The unhappiness was broader than sport, though. Leaked posts on the BBC’s Slack messenger system showed news staff were mutinous. 
Odd, I wasn't aware that Slack was in use at the BBC  Huh

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - UTVLifer - 11-03-2023

I think Davie will end up being the fall-guy for this sooner or later

(11-03-2023, 10:14 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Odd, I wasn't aware that Slack was in use at the BBC  Huh

Since 2017 or 2018.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - lhx1985 - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 10:13 PM)Andrew Wrote:  So what do we think will happen next?

Will Lineker get reinstated? Will Davey resign? Will the unofficial strike spread further to other departments? Will we still be talking about this next week?

After what has happened I can’t see Lineker having a long term future at the BBC. He’s either already gone or he’ll come back and just see out the rest of his contract

Davey will go. Think he's the only one that can't see it at this point. 

If he sacks Lineker, the contagion would be unstoppable and hugely damaging.  

If he doesn't and backs down... His authority will be shot to pieces. Every tweet storm thereafter will link back to here. 

If he keeps his head down, his credibility just kinda whimpers out. 

His only hope would be that Lineker quits before Davey is told his position is untenable... And I doubt that would happen, because Lineker currently looks like he's enjoying watching the DG's implosion.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Kojak - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 10:14 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Odd, I wasn't aware that Slack was in use at the BBC  Huh
IME it's often not company-wide, but rather down to individual departments (I've never worked at the BBC but I have worked at other big companies) - some departments will be really big on Slack and others won't use it at all.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - eyeTV - 11-03-2023

Is there likely to be breach of contract implications for those refusing to work?

I can't imagine any other environment where refusing to work due to the suspension of a colleague wouldn't have a disciplinary outcome.

(11-03-2023, 10:26 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Is there likely to be breach of contract implications for those refusing to work?

I can't imagine any other environment where refusing to work due to the suspension of a colleague wouldn't have a disciplinary outcome.

All the people not working are freelancers and they can do as they please. No mutual obligation applies. It simply means no work being done, no fees being paid.