Pres Café
Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy (/showthread.php?tid=381)

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - bbctvtechop - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 10:30 PM)Adsales Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 10:26 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Is there likely to be breach of contract implications for those refusing to work?

I can't imagine any other environment where refusing to work due to the suspension of a colleague wouldn't have a disciplinary outcome.

All the people not working are freelancers and they can do as they please. No mutual obligation applies. It simply means no work being done, no fees being paid.

And some of those who have been presenting sport today have deliberately and purposefully set out at the beginning that they are staff - implying that if they were also freelance, they also wouldn't be there.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - James2001 - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 10:30 PM)Adsales Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 10:26 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Is there likely to be breach of contract implications for those refusing to work?

I can't imagine any other environment where refusing to work due to the suspension of a colleague wouldn't have a disciplinary outcome.

All the people not working are freelancers and they can do as they please. No mutual obligation applies. It simply means no work being done, no fees being paid.
Which will likely be why one of the people doing radio commentary earlier pointed out they were a BBC employee on air.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - lhx1985 - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 10:34 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 10:30 PM)Adsales Wrote:  All the people not working are freelancers and they can do as they please. No mutual obligation applies. It simply means no work being done, no fees being paid.

And some of those who have been presenting sport today have deliberately and purposefully set out at the beginning that they are staff - implying that if they were also freelance, they also wouldn't be there.

No criticism of anyone who went to work today and fulfilled their obligation, but I was surprised that there wasn't a sudden outbreak of gastric flu among the payrolled commentators.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Alf Stewart - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 10:25 PM)lhx1985 Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 10:13 PM)Andrew Wrote:  So what do we think will happen next?

Will Lineker get reinstated? Will Davey resign? Will the unofficial strike spread further to other departments? Will we still be talking about this next week?

After what has happened I can’t see Lineker having a long term future at the BBC. He’s either already gone or he’ll come back and just see out the rest of his contract

Davey will go. Think he's the only one that can't see it at this point. 

If he sacks Lineker, the contagion would be unstoppable and hugely damaging.  

If he doesn't and backs down... His authority will be shot to pieces. Every tweet storm thereafter will link back to here. 

If he keeps his head down, his credibility just kinda whimpers out. 

His only hope would be that Lineker quits before Davey is told his position is untenable... And I doubt that would happen, because Lineker currently looks like he's enjoying watching the DG's implosion.
Yes, I'm rather reminded of a certain very short lived Prime Minster

Wednesday: I won't resign.
Thursday: I'm resigning

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Newsroom - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 10:40 PM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 10:25 PM)lhx1985 Wrote:  Davey will go. Think he's the only one that can't see it at this point. 

If he sacks Lineker, the contagion would be unstoppable and hugely damaging.  

If he doesn't and backs down... His authority will be shot to pieces. Every tweet storm thereafter will link back to here. 

If he keeps his head down, his credibility just kinda whimpers out. 

His only hope would be that Lineker quits before Davey is told his position is untenable... And I doubt that would happen, because Lineker currently looks like he's enjoying watching the DG's implosion.
Yes, I'm rather reminded of a certain very short lived Prime Minster

Wednesday: I'm won't resign.
Davie is Toast! There can be no way back for him now. 

Turness will be the first female BBC DG, and will be out the door quicker than Davie.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - harshy - 11-03-2023

I wonder if todays MOTD will attract more viewers then usual purely for curiosity…

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - James2001 - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 10:49 PM)harshy Wrote:  I wonder if todays MOTD will attract more viewers then usual purely for curiosity…

I'd say it's a given, Brits love a car crash.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - DavidWhitfield - 11-03-2023

Like James2001, I'd be very surprised if not.

People will want to see what happens out of sheer morbid curiosity. People are intrigued by the unknown - it's why you often see decent viewing figures for brand new programmes, or programmes where the presenter/presenting team has just been changed, only for this to taper off straight after, and an element of jeopardy, i.e. 'it could all go a bit Pete Tong tonight' is always going to get people's attention.

Ultimately, I expect it'll be twenty minutes of very basic highlights, with a very brisk and businesslike intro from the continuity announcer and people expecting something calamitous or unusually shoddy will be disappointed, but you can bet that many will tune in just to see what happens.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Kojak - 11-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 10:43 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 10:40 PM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  Yes, I'm rather reminded of a certain very short lived Prime Minster

Wednesday: I'm won't resign.
Davie is Toast! There can be no way back for him now. 

Turness will be the first female BBC DG, and will be out the door quicker than Davie.
I stand by what I said yesterday: he'll be gone by Monday - or Tuesday morning at the very latest. I'd be surprised if he isn't already on a plane back to London. I wonder if Turness would take the job, though? It's such a poisoned chalice now. Maybe as an interim?

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - UTVLifer - 11-03-2023

Is there still a Deputy DG role?