Pres Café
Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy (/showthread.php?tid=381)

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - aaron_scotland - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 02:31 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  What was really odd is the BBC let it dominate their news coverage yesterday and led with it on the Six and Ten, but then first thing this morning there was no sight of the story on the headlines on the app.

This is what I find astonishing and almost disgusting actually, even now, BBC Homepage:

[Image: Xhxc75d.png]

Why are they discussing what he said rather than the actual policy itself.. Its insane.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Admin PC - 09-03-2023

Whilst this may well be a political story, this is not the place for protracted political debate or discussing why you think certain political commentators are biased.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - all new phil - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 01:37 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I think this controversy is less about what Gary has said and more about the perceived hypocrisy of the BBC. People like Alan Sugar have sent out "biased" tweets in the past, and faced no action, despite also being a presenter on the BBC. You also have a lot of accusations about the likes of Fiona Bruce and Laura Kuennesburg who, despite not being quite as direct as Lineker, have raised more than a few eyebrows over their conduct.

It is completely about what he said. He compared the government’s language to that of a regime that put millions into concentration camps in what is widely accepted to have been the darkest moment in modern history. It is a disgusting thing to say.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Jon - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 04:07 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(09-03-2023, 01:37 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I think this controversy is less about what Gary has said and more about the perceived hypocrisy of the BBC. People like Alan Sugar have sent out "biased" tweets in the past, and faced no action, despite also being a presenter on the BBC. You also have a lot of accusations about the likes of Fiona Bruce and Laura Kuennesburg who, despite not being quite as direct as Lineker, have raised more than a few eyebrows over their conduct.

It is completely about what he said. He compared the government’s language to that of a regime that put millions into concentration camps in what is widely accepted to have been the darkest moment in modern history. It is a disgusting thing to say.
He said the “language used was not to dissimilar to that of Nazi germany” which is arguably true, he didn’t say what the UK government is planning to do is the same as Nazi Germany. 

The people who are outreached by it are the same people who don’t think that any BBC employees should voice any opinions on things that they disagree. 

For the record if Dion Dublin wanted to express the opposite view on Twitter, i don’t think he should be sacked either. If Huw Edwards did it it would be a slightly different matter. 

Agree with Lineker or not, the idea people are get so triggered by some expressing concern and empathy for other human’s is quite a depressing thing.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Kojak - 09-03-2023

Of course you’d be the one to defend the government over this. It’s all confected, anyway. Does anyone think the government really gives a flying monkey’s about what he said? Of course not. They love it. It’s a very convenient distraction from its very slow but very visible collapse.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Newsroom - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 05:02 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(09-03-2023, 04:07 PM)all new phil Wrote:  It is completely about what he said. He compared the government’s language to that of a regime that put millions into concentration camps in what is widely accepted to have been the darkest moment in modern history. It is a disgusting thing to say.
Of course you’d be the one to defend the government over this. It’s all confected, anyway. Does anyone think the government really gives a flying monkey’s about what he said? Of course not. They love it. It’s a very convenient distraction from its very slow but very visible collapse.

Wonderfully put! I feel I've restrained myself good and proper this time!

Now, and in the words of the fabulous Mrs Merton - 'Let's have a heated debate'

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Stooky Bill - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 04:47 PM)Jon Wrote:  He said the “language used was not to dissimilar to that of Nazi germany” which is arguably true, he didn’t say what the UK government is planning to do is the same as Nazi Germany. 
To be accurate he wrote:

"language not dissimilar to that used in Germany in the 30s"

Despite what some would have you believe he didn't mention the word Nazi

You are right that it doesn't mean he was saying they'd do the same, just that the language was the same as used then.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Kim Wexler’s Ponytail - 09-03-2023

How did we get to that dark moment in history? The holocaust did not just come out of nowhere, It was a result of dehumanizing rhetoric that manipulated ''ordinary'' people into believing in the lie that large swathes of ''others'' were the enemy and a threat to their way of life.

He's not the first person to draw parallels between the wave of populism sweeping the world right now and that of the 1930's.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Stooky Bill - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 05:30 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  How did we get to that dark moment in history? The holocaust did not just come out of nowhere, It was a result of dehumanizing rhetoric that manipulated ''ordinary'' people into believing in the lie that large swathes of ''others'' were the enemy and a threat to their way of life.
Indeed, I think Michael Rosen put it best in this piece:

http://michaelrosenblog.blogspot.com/2014/05/fascism-i-sometimes-fear.html?m=1 

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Steve in Pudsey - 09-03-2023

(09-03-2023, 04:07 PM)all new phil Wrote:  

Just to clarify - disgusting for a government to be talking in terms which lends themselves to that comparison, or disgusting of Lineker to have called it out?