Pres Café
Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy (/showthread.php?tid=381)

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - lhx1985 - 12-03-2023

Whatever the eventual solution, if Tim Davie hasn't boarded an aircraft to the UK yet he is an utter fool. 

If this is to be resolved, it only will be by getting the two men at the centre of it into the same room and figuring out a traditional British fudge.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - CF1 - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 01:59 PM)lhx1985 Wrote:  Whatever the eventual solution, if Tim Davie hasn't boarded an aircraft to the UK yet he is an utter fool. 

If this is to be resolved, it only will be by getting the two men at the centre of it into the same room and figuring out a traditional British fudge.

I'm amazed he wasn't back in the UK yesterday, given how the "crisis" has escalated and has had such an impact on the BBC sports output (or lack of it) this weekend. It's like he lit the torchpaper on Friday afternoon with the announcement of Gary Lineker's suspension and then was happy to watch on from afar in terms of the fall-out.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Bluecortina - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 01:59 PM)lhx1985 Wrote:  Whatever the eventual solution, if Tim Davie hasn't boarded an aircraft to the UK yet he is an utter fool. 

Possible solution? Gary issues a statement standing behind the thrust of his tweet but regrets the intemperate wording. BBC reinstates Gary and agree to review the BBC rules on social media posting etc for camera/microphone facing freelance staff not working for news or political programming. Neither side apologises to the other, honour restored.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Stooky Bill - 12-03-2023

Big news if true, and not before time

https://twitter.com/thatginamiller/status/1634882478719774722?t=niV1ZRQkUPxuIKnMM5SenQ&s=19 

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - James2001 - 12-03-2023

Good riddance if true .

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - ConorW2000 - 12-03-2023

Would not be shocked if this is true, I think he has been a shambles since he came in.

Also we have BBC News Staff along with BBC Local radio all walking out next week as well on budget day so its going to be a messy week for the organisation.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - lhx1985 - 12-03-2023

Maybe, but I'm not sure GL would concede his tweet was intemperate, to be honest. 

Looks to me like he took care to split his complaints into two parts.

The first that he thinks the policy is 'cruel' the second relating to the dog whistle language that is being used to promote the policy. 

The former is a matter of opinion and he's entitled to it. The latter is hard to argue against.when you listen to some of the words spoken by ministers. 

So hard to argue against, in fact, that the press isn't trying. Instead it's pretending that the he called the policy something from 1930s Germany.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - UTVLifer - 12-03-2023

If Richard Sharp does go then I think that will save Tim Davie's bacon for the time being

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Steve in Pudsey - 12-03-2023

Yes, I would agree. It was a very measured and considered tweet, not an angry throwaway response to something.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - matthieu1221 - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 02:50 PM)lhx1985 Wrote:  Maybe, but I'm not sure GL would concede his tweet was intemperate, to be honest. 

Looks to me like he took care to split his complaints into two parts to me. 

The first that he thinks the policy is 'cruel' the second relating to the dog whistle language that is being used to promote the policy. 

The former is a matter of opinion and he's entitled to it. The latter is hard to argue against.when you listen to some of the words spoken by ministers. 

So hard to argue against, in fact, that the press isn't trying. Instead it's pretending that the he called the policy something from 1930s Germany.

Arguably this entire thing blew up because some of the press took a shortcut when trying to paraphrase his Tweet. A Tweet is only so short, why can't it always be quoted in full!