Pres Café
Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy (/showthread.php?tid=381)

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - James2001 - 12-03-2023

After all, even if most of the public don't know about Neil's views (as I've seen someone say elsewhere as a way to try and claim showing Coast right now isn't controvesial), the media do, and many of them will be waiting to pounce on the slightest thing to attack the BBC with. Putting on a right wing conspiracy theorist in a gap actually caused by Lineker's suspension really does write its own headlines.

Either someone knows exactly what they're doing, or crisis management at the BBC is even more incompetent than we thought.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - TMD_24 - 12-03-2023

Seems like some of the rumours going around about Richard Sharp appear to be disputed at the mo.

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1634951090209980416?s=20 

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - thomalex - 12-03-2023

Sounds like someone is briefing about Sharps resignation in order to force it to happen

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - EasternEagle - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 05:02 PM)James2001 Wrote:  After all, even if most of the public don't know about Neil's views (as I've seen someone say elsewhere as a way to try and claim showing Coast right now isn't controvesial), the media do, and many of them will be waiting to pounce on the slightest thing to attack the BBC with. Putting on a right wing conspiracy theorist in a gap actually caused by Lineker's suspension really does write its own headlines.

Either someone knows exactly what they're doing, or crisis management at the BBC is even more incompetent than we thought.

Yesterday they had The Repair Cafe on at the time of Final Score and Sully at the time of Match of the Day.

The program choices have ben odd to say the least.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - James2001 - 12-03-2023

Putting on a film about a plane crash feels like it was intentionally ironic too (though a car crash would be even more so).

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - DavidWhitfield - 12-03-2023

Once again, really not getting the hysteria.

The BBC aired an old programme in a gap in the schedule. It was Coast, a programme they've famously used as filler many times. In terms of content, it's the perfect type of programme for a Sunday afternoon on BBC Two.

Neil Oliver joining a different organisation years after filming the series and sharing views you personally disagree with doesn't automatically cause Coast to become disgusting taboo content which must never see airtime again.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Jon - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 04:50 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  
(12-03-2023, 04:16 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  This is an interesting perspective that most people might not have thought of about having MOTD commentary-free.
https://twitter.com/RNIB/status/1634888994042556416?r 

But how useful is a TV commentary to a blind person? Wouldn't the radio coverage be better?

Maybe they should add the radio commentary on the AD channel as a matter of course?
That’s a good idea. Presumably TV commentary is more useful than nothing at all though. They’d at least get to know the score, the scorers etc. Indeed perhaps some of the people in question will be able to see somethings and commentary just gives an extra bit of insight.

(12-03-2023, 05:29 PM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  Neil Oliver joining a different organisation years after filming the series and sharing views you personally disagree with doesn't automatically cause Coast to become disgusting taboo content which must never see airtime again.
It’s the irony of it all. Football programming loses airtime effectively because of Lineker’s suspension and they replace it with a programme presented by a personality who’s much more vocal and controversial in some of their political views. 

I agree it probably was a default option rather than some plot. But the irony is there. And it highlights the inconsistencies. As far as the viewer is concerned they’re watching Neil Oliver work for the BBC.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Kojak - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 05:19 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Seems like some of the rumours going around about Richard Sharp appear to be disputed at the mo.

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1634951090209980416?s=20 
That means they probably are true, then.  Big Grin

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Spencer - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 05:29 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(12-03-2023, 05:29 PM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  Neil Oliver joining a different organisation years after filming the series and sharing views you personally disagree with doesn't automatically cause Coast to become disgusting taboo content which must never see airtime again.
It’s the irony of it all. Football programming loses airtime effectively because of Lineker’s suspension and they replace it with a programme presented by a personality who’s much more vocal and controversial in some of their political views. 

I agree it probably was a default option rather than some plot. But the irony is there. And it highlights the inconsistencies. As far as the viewer is concerned they’re watching Neil Oliver work for the BBC.

Quite. It’s not that I’m clutching my pearls and feeling in need of a lie down because I’m offended at the broadcast of an episode of Coast. It’s just I think, at a time when the BBC is having to tread extremely carefully in everything it does not to inflame the situation any further, this probably wasn’t a great choice of programme, and was potentially giving critics another stick with which to beat the BBC.

Maybe this will pass under the radar of the press and social media. Maybe it won’t. Im just surprised they’ve taken the risk given how delicate everything is right now.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Kojak - 12-03-2023

No it doesn't, David, but I would argue that there is a difference between the "views some personally disagree with" of, say, Alan Sugar or Andrew Neil, and the barmy, completely divorced-from-reality stuff that Neil Oliver comes out with on a weekly basis. I agree that the idea of there being a plot to deliberately put Coast on in order to embarrass the BBC is somewhat far-fetched - but if they are 'cancelling' Lineker for his (IMO, fairly innocuous) comments, it does seem to be a double standard.