Pres Café
Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy (/showthread.php?tid=381)

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - London Lite - 12-03-2023

So it's perfectly fine for Oliver to spout out conspiracy theories admittedly on a niche opinion channel while having his repeats of Coast being aired on BBC2 as filler, yet it's not for Gary Lineker to have an opinion on social media about UK government policy which he's never mentioned on-air?

This is either to stir-up debate or playing the Mark Dolan faux right-wing card.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - DavidWhitfield - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 06:52 PM)London Lite Wrote:  So it's perfectly fine for Oliver to spout out conspiracy theories admittedly on a niche opinion channel while having his repeats of Coast being aired on BBC2 as filler, yet it's not for Gary Lineker to have an opinion on social media about UK government policy which he's never mentioned on-air?
For the love of God. I never said that.

For the record:

- I don't think Gary Lineker was wrong to tweet what he did. It's his opinion, after all. I never said he shouldn't be able to have an opinion.
- I think the way the BBC have handled Lineker's suspension has been pretty shambolic.
- I think the inconsistent nature of the ways the expectations are laid out to presenters and enforced is woeful and needs urgently looking at.
- I don't see a problem with them airing Coast as filler. Oliver may now have a weekly platform on a right-wing news channel but this doesn't, in my mind, stop them from broadcasting an entirely apolitical look at the UK coastline filmed a decade earlier.
- I do, just for the record, see more of an issue with paedophiles - thanks to Steve in Pudsey for inviting me to clear that up...

Hope I haven't missed anything and that this is now clear...?

I must say, it's pretty disappointing to have to spell this out.

If everyone has the same view on every issue, this place becomes nothing more than an echo chamber with everyone nodding along. I'm just trying to put forward a different side where I can see one, and take some of the hysteria out of things.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Steve in Pudsey - 12-03-2023

I was merely exploring your argument which seems to be that somebody's indiscretions shouldn't taint the back catalogue of their work.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - matthieu1221 - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 06:35 PM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  Gary Lineker currently works for the BBC. Neil Oliver hasn't been a presenter on the BBC for four years.

Why should the views Oliver expresses today stop the BBC from airing an old episode of a programme he was part of over a decade ago looking into the coastline of the UK?

(12-03-2023, 06:25 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  One of the arguments put forward against Lineker is because of his association with the BBC (aka fronting a show on it) and thus if he tweeted his political opinion it could possibly damage the BBC's reputation as an impartial broadcaster. How the same case does not apply for Neil Oliver is beyond me. Yes, yes, he's made controversial comments after he filmed Coast, but his face is still on there, being associated with the BBC as it is currently still being used on air.

Are you seriously suggesting that every single person who has ever presented anything on the BBC should feel forever unable to give their opinion on anything remotely political, no matter how long ago they last worked for the corporation, because their catalogue of work will be retrospectively treated as politically biased content which cannot in good conscience be shown from that moment on?

There you have it! So wouldn't you agree that the entire 'problem' is ridiculous isn't it?

None of the two present the news or are going to present news coverage on the BBC anytime soon. None are going to interview the Home Secretary on Newsnight anytime soon. And I suppose no one is going to question Lineker's football analysis because of his Tweets nor are people going to think that everything on Coast is factually wrong because of what Oliver's said later after he quit the BBC.

I made my point to highlight the ridiculous nature of the suspension in the first place and how, if they wanted to apply it thoroughly to everybody, would be utterly ridiculous.

In the meantime, they are exposing themselves to a lot of potential unnecessary flak by airing Coast.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - LDN - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 06:47 PM)Kojak Wrote:  David, I fear you're now being deliberately obtuse. 

This. This in flashing neon lights.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Keith - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 07:03 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I was merely exploring your argument which seems to be that somebody's indiscretions shouldn't taint the back catalogue of their work.
Sorry Steve but I think you're comparing apples and bricks (not even pears). I don't think it's reasonable to somehow suggest someone airing objectionable opinions on TV is in any way on a par with the crimes committed by Savile and Rolf Harris.

I think there is a risk of over analysing the choice of replacement programmes. Coast is well known as being a filler programme, particularly on BBC Two. I personally wasn't aware it's presenter was now on GB News, and I suspect most BBC Two viewers would also be unaware. In event of complaint I imagine the BBC would simply point out that he's no longer employed by the BBC and that the programme was a repeat.

Finding an alternative programme of similar length at short notice might not be as easy as it seems, especially if repeat fees or royalties are involved.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Alf Stewart - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 06:58 PM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  
(12-03-2023, 06:52 PM)London Lite Wrote:  So it's perfectly fine for Oliver to spout out conspiracy theories admittedly on a niche opinion channel while having his repeats of Coast being aired on BBC2 as filler, yet it's not for Gary Lineker to have an opinion on social media about UK government policy which he's never mentioned on-air?
For the love of God. I never said that.

For the record:

- I don't think Gary Lineker was wrong to tweet what he did. It's his opinion, after all. I never said he shouldn't be able to have an opinion.
- I think the way the BBC have handled Lineker's suspension has been pretty shambolic.
- I think the inconsistent nature of the ways the expectations are laid out to presenters and enforced is woeful and needs urgently looking at.
- I don't see a problem with them airing Coast as filler. Oliver may now have a weekly platform on a right-wing news channel but this doesn't, in my mind, stop them from broadcasting an entirely apolitical look at the UK coastline filmed a decade earlier.
- I do, just for the record, see more of an issue with paedophiles - thanks to Steve in Pudsey for inviting me to clear that up...

Hope I haven't missed anything and that this is now clear...?

I must say, it's pretty disappointing to have to spell this out.

If everyone has the same view on every issue, this place becomes nothing more than an echo chamber with everyone nodding along. I'm just trying to put forward a different side where I can see one, and take some of the hysteria out of things.
In fairness some of your posts have given your high horse vertigo even it didn't know what your opinion on the situation was or what point you were trying to make. So in all seriousness thank you for spelling it out clearly.

I'm sure everyone welcomes a different take and different opinions but there's really no need to be so aggressive.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - RhysJR - 12-03-2023

https://twitter.com/nadderley/status/1634928413642477571?s=20 

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Scrotnig - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 06:12 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I think it's fair to say Neil Oliver is worse than all the other BBC presenters accused of political bias combined and multiplied tenfold.

But he's not a BBC presenter any more, and hasn't been for years.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - James - 12-03-2023

It's also an apple to pears comparison to be comparing Gary Lineker to the likes of Neil Oliver and Alan Sugar, in my view. The nature of their roles are very different.

Gary Lineker is a prominent BBC face, presenting MOTD and live football coverage on the BBC. He is representing the brand.

This is not the case for Neil Oliver and Alan Sugar - they are appearing on documentary/entertainment programming. Nobody hears those two names and immediately thinks 'BBC'. And most people watching 'Coast' this afternoon probably don't even have a clue that Neil now works on GBN.

That being said, I think that Gary should be able to express his views on social media as he presents sports coverage, not news. However, if the BBC are paying him £1.3m per year, then I don't think it would be unreasonable for them to impose restrictions on his social media usage if they wished to do so, providing it was explicitly stated in his contract.