Pres Café
Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy (/showthread.php?tid=381)

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Steve in Pudsey - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 07:34 PM)Keith Wrote:  
(12-03-2023, 07:03 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I was merely exploring your argument which seems to be that somebody's indiscretions shouldn't taint the back catalogue of their work.
Sorry Steve but I think you're comparing apples and bricks (not even pears). I don't think it's reasonable to somehow suggest someone airing objectionable opinions on TV is in any way on a par with the crimes committed by Savile and Rolf Harris.
I wasn't suggesting that it was on a par, just hypothetically taking a dubious argument to it's logical conclusion to see if it still worked

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - DavidWhitfield - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 07:39 PM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  In fairness some of your posts have given your high horse vertigo even it didn't know what your opinion on the situation was or what point you were trying to make. So in all seriousness thank you for spelling it out clearly.

I'm sure everyone welcomes a different take and different opinions but there's really no need to be so aggressive.

I always strive to remain polite on here even when I completely disagree with others' points of view so I'm disappointed to note you feel I have been aggressive. That really is never the intention and I am sorry if anything I've said has come across as such.

I often come on here and see a lot of hubbub about an issue and I think 'wait a minute, take a step back - is it really that serious? - is it really like that? - will the average viewer really perceive it in that way?' If I am able to see things in a different perspective to the general consensus, I think it's worth bringing that opinion to the table. This is a place for discussion, after all, and little discussion can stem from everyone being completely on the same page on every issue. Often my posts start out as a bid to calm things down - ironically - and rationalise things, and put them into perspective, see if there's a different way of looking at things. Evidently this isn't the way it's been perceived in this instance.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Humphrey Hacker - 12-03-2023

I'm reminded of a similar situation that happened may years ago. In the late 1970's there was a national firefighters strike and Gordon Honeycombe who was a newsreader for ITN resigned in support of them:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/gordon-honeycombe-author-playwright-and-newscaster-who-left-itn-after-article-in-support-of-striking-firemen-a6691231.html 

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Alf Stewart - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 07:57 PM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  
(12-03-2023, 07:39 PM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  In fairness some of your posts have given your high horse vertigo even it didn't know what your opinion on the situation was or what point you were trying to make. So in all seriousness thank you for spelling it out clearly.

I'm sure everyone welcomes a different take and different opinions but there's really no need to be so aggressive.

I always strive to remain polite on here even when I completely disagree with others' points of view so I'm disappointed to note you feel I have been aggressive. That really is never the intention and I am sorry if anything I've said has come across as such.

I often come on here and see a lot of hubbub about an issue and I think 'wait a minute, take a step back - is it really that serious? - is it really like that? - will the average viewer really perceive it in that way?' If I am able to see things in a different perspective to the general consensus, I think it's worth bringing that opinion to the table. This is a place for discussion, after all, and little discussion can stem from everyone being completely on the same page on every issue. Often my posts start out as a bid to calm things down - ironically - and rationalise things, and put them into perspective, see if there's a different way of looking at things. Evidently this isn't the way it's been perceived in this instance.
It's easy done David. In fairness I've done it myself in the past. You post something with good faith then when you look back at it later you can see how people have taken it in the wrong way or someone has misconstrued it.

I was in two minds about posting what I did as it would certainly not be my intention to cause any offence and I wouldn't ordinarily pull someone up about a comment on a forum so I appreciate you taking my comment on board in a positive and mature manner.

Perhaps we ALL need to take a breath and step back a moment. This thread had on the whole been a jovial and constructive conversation but seems to have taken a downward trajectory over the last few hours. After all the world isn't coming to an end (unless you all know something I don't).

I'm not trying to be a backseat moderator before anyone starts, I'd just like to keep visiting a thread I've been pleased to participate in.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - UTVLifer - 12-03-2023

https://twitter.com/tvukzone/status/1635002916972158977?s=61&t=9PSUu8dUPDOGotmQBtN_ig 

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Newshound47 - 12-03-2023

I can’t imagine details remaing secret till tomorrow.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/21687174/gary-lineker-match-of-the-day-fa-cup-bbc/ 

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - Newshound47 - 12-03-2023

Sky has just sent a push notification saying Sources close to Gary Lineker hope it will be resolved within the next 24 hours.

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - lhx1985 - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 08:56 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  Sky has just sent a push notification saying Sources close to Gary Lineker hope it will be resolved within the next 24 hours.

And faded out the Climate Show to air the breaking news on TV

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - TMD_24 - 12-03-2023

The i paper is also reporting that there will be a review of social media guidelines for all presenters on the BBC that are either direct BBC staff or freelances.

https://inews.co.uk/news/gary-lineker-expected-to-be-reinstated-following-crisis-talks-with-the-bbc-2203815 

Quote:[color=#000000][font='Source Serif Pro', Cambria, 'Hoefler Text', Utopia, 'Liberation Serif', 'Nimbus Roman No9 L Regular', Times, 'Times New Roman', serif]It is also expected that Mr Davie will announce a review of social media guidance for all BBC presenters, whether staff or freelancers.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font='Source Serif Pro', Cambria, 'Hoefler Text', Utopia, 'Liberation Serif', 'Nimbus Roman No9 L Regular', Times, 'Times New Roman', serif]The review is likely to consider further guidelines on how non-news and current affairs presenters should use social media.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font='Source Serif Pro', Cambria, 'Hoefler Text', Utopia, 'Liberation Serif', 'Nimbus Roman No9 L Regular', Times, 'Times New Roman', serif]It comes in the wake of a weekend of chaos in with TV and radio scheduling had to be torn up because the the furore over Lineker’s suspension.[/font][/color]

RE: Gary Lineker/BBC Asylum Controversy - agentsquash - 12-03-2023

So the question is now who will get the chop in response to this absolute fiasco?