Pres Café
CITV is to close - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: CITV is to close (/showthread.php?tid=384)

RE: CITV is to close - Rex - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 12:04 PM)WillPS Wrote:  Roger DarthwellSo if we put then into a chart CITV is right in the middle
Yes but when you consider that CITV has universal coverage it is:
Comfortably bottom amongst those with universal coverage (CBBC, CBeebies, Pop, Tiny Pop)
Behind two pay TV only channels (Nick Jr and Nick Jr 2)
I can well believe that ITV believe they can do better for children by putting stuff on ITVX and for themselves by using the capacity for a +1.
The ITV2 thing feels like a workaround to ensure they're meeting some license obligations, I suspect nobody will watch it and ITV will kill it off in the medium term (perhaps via ITV4).
Even though ITV2 isn't a PSB channel, they will absolutely use the CITV block to say that they are contributing to their quota for children's television. Albeit a much reduced one considering that they are using it to push cross promotion to ITVX, and they save money by eliminating an entire broadcast stream in the process.

RE: CITV is to close - cable - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 01:55 PM)Rex Wrote:  
(12-03-2023, 12:04 PM)WillPS Wrote:  Roger DarthwellSo if we put then into a chart CITV is right in the middle
Yes but when you consider that CITV has universal coverage it is:
Comfortably bottom amongst those with universal coverage (CBBC, CBeebies, Pop, Tiny Pop)
Behind two pay TV only channels (Nick Jr and Nick Jr 2)
I can well believe that ITV believe they can do better for children by putting stuff on ITVX and for themselves by using the capacity for a +1.
The ITV2 thing feels like a workaround to ensure they're meeting some license obligations, I suspect nobody will watch it and ITV will kill it off in the medium term (perhaps via ITV4).
Even though ITV2 isn't a PSB channel, they will absolutely use the CITV block to say that they are contributing to their quota for children's television. Albeit a much reduced one considering that they are using it to push cross promotion to ITVX, and they save money by eliminating an entire broadcast stream in the process.

Saved them going HD too on other platforms! Whereas ITVX is HD as standard.

RE: CITV is to close - Brekkie - 12-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 02:29 PM)Technologist Wrote:  
(10-03-2023, 11:49 AM)eyeTV Wrote:  I would think this would need Ofcom approval and some further guarantee on future investment in children's programming.
Why ? it’s not PSB channel …
and OFCOM seems to reduce non BBC PSB obligations all round in any case…
….. and there are no “kids” requirement on itv
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0023/71960/itv-london-weekday-attachment-variation.pdf 

There are no kids requirements on ITV though as they used the existence of the CITV Channel to convince OFCOM to drop them.

RE: CITV is to close - CCFG - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 02:21 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(10-03-2023, 02:29 PM)Technologist Wrote:  Why ? it’s not PSB channel …
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0023/71960/itv-london-weekday-attachment-variation.pdf 

There are no kids requirements on ITV though as they used the existence of the CITV Channel to convince OFCOM to drop them.

I thought ITV Breakfast had a kids requirement?

RE: CITV is to close - tellyblues - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 02:21 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(10-03-2023, 02:29 PM)Technologist Wrote:  Why ? it’s not PSB channel …

So, on the condition that an outlet for kids programming was still going to be provided. Surely if a channel closes then the responsibility still remains?

RE: CITV is to close - gottago - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 12:04 PM)WillPS Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 10:07 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  So if we put then into a chart CITV is right in the middle

I think this is right. Sorry if this has already been covered but I think they’re moving what is currently CITV Breakfast, technically a separate license on the CITV Channel which was once upon a time GMTV2, to ITV2 and they’re filling a quota for children’s programmes for that particular license. 

You might remember years ago this license moved from ITV2 to ITV4 of all places where kids shows were shown each morning to fill the quota, eventually landing on the CITV Channel. Now they’re shifting it back to ITV2 which no one watches at that time anyway. Probably easier to do that rather than going through the motions with Ofcom to get the license closed or have the quota removed. Meanwhile ITV can sell it as a positive in the press release. 

It’s possible the licence was terminated years ago and I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure this is what’s happening. If the programmes end at 9:25 on the dot then I’m definitely correct!

RE: CITV is to close - CCFG - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 03:56 PM)gottago Wrote:  
(12-03-2023, 12:04 PM)WillPS Wrote:  The ITV2 thing feels like a workaround to ensure they're meeting some license obligations, I suspect nobody will watch it and ITV will kill it off in the medium term (perhaps via ITV4).

I think this is right. Sorry if this has already been covered but I think they’re moving what is currently CITV Breakfast, technically a separate license on the CITV Channel which was once upon a time GMTV2, to ITV2 and they’re filling a quota for children’s programmes for that particular license. 

You might remember years ago this license moved from ITV2 to ITV4 of all places where kids shows were shown each morning to fill the quota, eventually landing on the CITV Channel. Now they’re shifting it back to ITV2 which no one watches at that time anyway. Probably easier to do that rather than going through the motions with Ofcom to get the license closed or have the quota removed. Meanwhile ITV can sell it as a positive in the press release. 

It’s possible the licence was terminated years ago and I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure this is what’s happening. If the programmes end at 9:25 on the dot then I’m definitely correct!

Last I heard, the ex-GMTV2 licence still exists on the CITV Channel but this might have changed since I read the information.

RE: CITV is to close - ConorW2000 - 12-03-2023

You would think ITV would want to keep some sort of programming going on terrestrial television, you could have a block of programming during the morning and during the afternoon.

RE: CITV is to close - James2001 - 12-03-2023

CITV shows still start at 9:25, so I imagine it is still in force, can't see them using such an unusual time every day if they didn't have to.

RE: CITV is to close - XIII - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 04:40 PM)ConorW2000 Wrote:  You would think ITV would want to keep some sort of programming going on terrestrial television, you could have a block of programming during the morning and during the afternoon.

The chances of the CITV block returning to ITV1 are zero.