Pres Café
CITV is to close - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: CITV is to close (/showthread.php?tid=384)

thomalex - thomalex - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 06:22 PM)XIII Wrote:  
(12-03-2023, 04:40 PM)ConorW2000 Wrote:  You would think ITV would want to keep some sort of programming going on terrestrial television, you could have a block of programming during the morning and during the afternoon.

The chances of the CITV block returning to ITV1 are zero.

Really? I had presumed that was part of the plan along with strands on ITV 2. Effectively returning things to as they were before CITV gained its own channel.

RE: thomalex - WillPS - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 07:38 PM)thomalex Wrote:  
(12-03-2023, 06:22 PM)XIII Wrote:  The chances of the CITV block returning to ITV1 are zero.

Really? I had presumed that was part of the plan along with strands on ITV 2. Effectively returning things to as they were before CITV gained its own channel.

Why?

RE: thomalex - gottago - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 06:22 PM)XIII Wrote:  The chances of the CITV block returning to ITV1 are zero.

How on earth did you reach that conclusion?

RE: CITV is to close - Technologist - 12-03-2023

It’s costs a lot … for few viewers
Just see the comparison within the BBC ….
https://www.statista.com/statistics/284761/bbc-tv-production-cost-per-user-hour-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/ 
CBBC per viewer costs more than all the other UK BBC tv services per viewer added up

RE: CITV is to close - tellyblues - 12-03-2023

Problem is that there are programmes which now air where CITV once did that will rate better than kids shows and for a commercial broadcaster that will be the priority. Also, quiz nuts would stomp their feet if their shows were moved. You couldn't really expect the target audience for Fun House or whatever to be taken seriously, so a quiz block would remain while kids shows would get punted around the place as if they are inferior, and laughably, broadcasters then wonder why young people don't watch TV.

Ratings should be less of a concern for the BBC but they had the same attitude all those years ago and instead of investing more in kids shows they decided to shove them elsewhere, where programming quality and the amount of repeats wouldn't be questioned as much, especially not when those who can shout the loudest have brand new shows of their own to distract them. There's no chance of a CBBC block returning for similar reasons when it should.

Still, the BBC and ITV can't stop haemorrhaging through formats so hey ho.

RE: CITV is to close - DJ Dave - 12-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 09:59 PM)CCFG Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 09:45 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  Thank you for posting the article, I am now honestly wondering what are the audience figures for other children's TV channels

I only have Monthly Shares from BARB's website, so it'll have to do. 
Based on data from last month...
CBBC: 0.16%
CBeebies: 1.08%
Sky Kids: 0.03%
Boomerang: 0.04%
Cartoonito: 0.04%
Cartoon Network: 0.03% 
Pop: 0.19%
Pop Max: 0.02%
Tiny Pop: 0.11%
Nickelodeon: 0.04%
Nick Jr: 0.17%
Nick Jr 2: 0.13%
Nicktoons: 0.03% 

Just for the record, CITV in February had 0.09%.

Nickelodeon on 0.04% when I was a kid ok late 90s to early 00s I think everyone I knew use to Watch Nick with Watch Your Own Wednesday's etc

Shame about CiTV going, but that is todays world, they would rather watch hours of someone on YouTube etc. I remember the 1998 rebrand having such a buzz about it as they actually had real presenters in vision etc.

RE: CITV is to close - WillPS - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 09:12 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  
(12-03-2023, 07:38 PM)thomalex Wrote:  Really? I had presumed that was part of the plan along with strands on ITV 2. Effectively returning things to as they were before CITV gained its own channel.

Problem is that there are programmes which now air where CITV once did that will rate better than kids shows and for a commercial broadcaster that will be the priority. Also, quiz nuts would stomp their feet if their shows were moved. You couldn't really expect the target audience for Fun House or whatever to be taken seriously, so a quiz block would remain while kids shows would get punted around the place as if they are inferior, and laughably, broadcasters then wonder why young people don't watch TV.

Ratings should be less of a concern for the BBC but they had the same attitude all those years ago and instead of investing more in kids shows they decided to shove them elsewhere, where programming quality and the amount of repeats wouldn't be questioned as much, especially not when those who can shout the loudest have brand new shows of their own to distract them. There's no chance of a CBBC block returning for similar reasons when it should.

Still, the BBC and ITV can't stop haemorrhaging through formats so hey ho.

Baffling. Broadcasters should put stuff out on their linear channels which you acknowledge there is limited demand for compared to what they currently do... why?

The quiz shows are there because the audience for the traditional CITV block was waning (and their 45 other attempts to fill the slot didn't work out either), and the advertising revenue was falling off a cliff. What makes you think young people, 20 years on and with a proliferation of on demand options giving them basically whatever they want immediately, seek it? 

Children don't want an afternoon block of programming on a 'normal' channel. Increasingly they don't want a linear channel at all.

RE: CITV is to close - XIII - 12-03-2023

I feel some here are stuck in the past. ITV aren't going to cut their morning and afternoon lineups in favour of kids programmes. We're in 2023, not 2003.

RE: CITV is to close - Milkshake - 12-03-2023

Let see if the Kids programmes come back in September on Weekend Breakfast slot.

RE: CITV is to close - CCFG - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 10:17 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Let see if the Kids programmes come back in September on Weekend Breakfast slot.

Do you mean that children's programming (a.k.a what is now CITV) will return in September in the weekend breakfast slot? If you mean that, then, the breakfast slot still shows children's programming, but there was a brief period late last year when they axed it and replaced it with game show repeats. 

If you mean something else, then I apologise.