Pres Café
CITV is to close - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: CITV is to close (/showthread.php?tid=384)

RE: CITV is to close - mrarg1393 - 12-03-2023

Apologies if it’s already been confirmed or discussed, I’ve quickly scanned through comments but couldn’t see anything to confirm… from the press release, it sounds like a CITV strand will be shown on ITV2 in the mornings now… does this mean that they will no longer be shown on ITV1 at weekends? Just seems odd that it will almost be duplicated on both channels if this is the case or would it not be shown on ITV2 at a weekend?

RE: CITV is to close - tellyblues - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 09:49 PM)WillPS Wrote:  Baffling. Broadcasters should put stuff out on their linear channels which you acknowledge there is limited demand for compared to what they currently do... why?

The quiz shows are there because the audience for the traditional CITV block was waning (and their 45 other attempts to fill the slot didn't work out either), and the advertising revenue was falling off a cliff. What makes you think young people, 20 years on and with a proliferation of on demand options giving them basically whatever they want immediately, seek it? 

Children don't want an afternoon block of programming on a 'normal' channel. Increasingly they don't want a linear channel at all.

I haven't suggested that ITV should do anything but they can't expect no adverse effects for downplaying a particular demographic or even desperately trying to please another.

I've seen people comment that what is on BBC1 now rates far better than what the CBBC block used to as if only ratings matter, but they don't. Children and young people in general are vastly underrepresented on the main BBC channels.

Viewing figures were waning for the CBBC block too and all sorts of reasons were given including changing viewing habits but curiously nothing about the waning quality of programming. With any demographic, if there's a crap lineup of shows, you expect numbers to be down, so why should kids be treated any differently?

RE: CITV is to close - nwtv2003 - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 09:54 PM)XIII Wrote:  I feel some here are stuck in the past. ITV aren't going to cut their morning and afternoon lineups in favour of kids programmes. We're in 2023, not 2003.

Indeed, we’re not the demographic for CITV/ITVX Kids. Obviously in an ideal world we would like it the way it was when we were kids, but that’s not the case. 

For anyone who has young children, or know of some within your family (ie nieces, nephews, grandchildren etc) will almost certainly know that most children will watch most TV content via streaming (I’d say YouTube personally), using a tablet or smart phone, but not always. Yes some still watch linear channels, but this is steadily declining.

ITV’s role as a public service broadcaster in this circumstance is to ensure there remains a linear outlet for it. In my view a morning slot on ITV2 (and potential retention of ITV Weekend Breakfast) is sufficient, and I’m sure would also be fine by Ofcom, although having a CITV Channel was solely a commercial decision, not a public service one. 

There’s simply no going back for weekday afternoons, never. They’re probably only using ITV2 breakfast as it probably doesn’t rate that well in the morning, and in Freeview only homes it’s next to Channel 5, which is in Milkshake hours at that time of day.

RE: CITV is to close - Milkshake - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 10:34 PM)CCFG Wrote:  
(12-03-2023, 10:17 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Let see if the Kids programmes come back in September on Weekend Breakfast slot.

Do you mean that children's programming (a.k.a what is now CITV) will return in September in the weekend breakfast slot? If you mean that, then, the breakfast slot still shows children's programming, but there was a brief period late last year when they axed it and replaced it with game show repeats. 

If you mean something else, then I apologise.

I do mean children's programming returning to the 6am - 09.25 slot. Your right there are still broadcasting stuff right now, However they have been axing it and reinstating the kids programmes off and no for years now.

Over the course they used to have chat show, AKA, Weekend, Zoe Ball on, Martin & Roman's Weekend Best! ( I cant remember who had it in 2019)

I think the kids programmes will still air on Saturday and Sunday morning on ITV1.

RE: CITV is to close - JAS84 - 12-03-2023

They usually show kids shows on weekends from 6am to 8.30am then use the last hour of the Breakfast slot for something else, like those shows you mention.

(12-03-2023, 10:17 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Let see if the Kids programmes come back in September on Weekend Breakfast slot.
They're already there...

(12-03-2023, 10:37 PM)mrarg1393 Wrote:  Apologies if it’s already been confirmed or discussed, I’ve quickly scanned through comments but couldn’t see anything to confirm… from the press release, it sounds like a CITV strand will be shown on ITV2 in the mornings now… does this mean that they will no longer be shown on ITV1 at weekends? Just seems odd that it will almost be duplicated on both channels if this is the case or would it not be shown on ITV2 at a weekend?
Yeah, I'm confused by that too. I assume that it'll be ITV2 on weekdays and ITV1 on weekends. ITV2 on Saturday morning uses that slot currently for the Coronation Street Omnibus, which would have to be moved if they put the kids shows there.

RE: CITV is to close - Rijowhi - 12-03-2023

(12-03-2023, 11:28 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  
(12-03-2023, 10:34 PM)CCFG Wrote:  Do you mean that children's programming (a.k.a what is now CITV) will return in September in the weekend breakfast slot? If you mean that, then, the breakfast slot still shows children's programming, but there was a brief period late last year when they axed it and replaced it with game show repeats. 

If you mean something else, then I apologise.

I do mean children's programming returning to the 6am - 09.25 slot.  Your right there are still broadcasting stuff right now, However they have been axing it and reinstating the kids programmes off and no for years now.

Over the course they used to have chat show, AKA,  Weekend, Zoe Ball on, Martin & Roman's Weekend Best! ( I cant remember who had it in 2019)

I think the kids programmes will still air on Saturday and Sunday morning on ITV1.

It makes more sense for Ofcom to allow ITV to transfer any Children’s programming into a daily morning strand on ITV2. This will avoid confusion…

RE: CITV is to close - WillPS - 12-03-2023

I suspect the ITV1 weekend slot will remain for the same reason it does today and the same reason the weekday breakfast slot will - obligations which were never removed from the old GMTV licenses.

I doubt ITV will ever be sufficiently motivated to get the main license renegotiated - the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze.

In the case of GMTV2 I suppose it could ultimately be folded in to ITV Be so long as there's a scheduled 'license change' at 0925. Not entirely sure why they haven't done this already.

RE: CITV is to close - Former Member 443 - 14-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 07:45 PM)Rex Wrote:  Found an interesting statistic on the Times' article covering the CITV closure:

'CITV’s audience was understood to attract less than 5,000 viewers on average.'

If that figure is accurate, that is shockingly low. No wonder why ITV has decided to pull the plug.

Looking at the wider shares for linear kids' channels, and extrapolating from the 5000 viewers thing, it's difficult to make a compelling case for any of them - CBeebies included, which surely must be well under 100k viewers.

Problem is, I really can't see how free, ad-driven streaming where you are forced to sit through minutes of commercials at the start of every show), from a brand that increasingly means nothing to younger viewers anyway is going to do much better. 

It's all a far cry from the days when a successful ITV kids' show was getting over three million viewers, that's for sure.

The terrestrial broadcasters still have the audience figures they do largely because of a legacy-induced habit among older viewers, a large part of which was derived from the after-school blocks on the two main channels. In twenty years I can't see young adults bothering with the BBC and especially ITV at all.

RE: CITV is to close - Hybrid - 14-03-2023

(14-03-2023, 03:27 AM)Former Member 443 Wrote:  
(11-03-2023, 07:45 PM)Rex Wrote:  Found an interesting statistic on the Times' article covering the CITV closure:

'CITV’s audience was understood to attract less than 5,000 viewers on average.'

If that figure is accurate, that is shockingly low. No wonder why ITV has decided to pull the plug.

Looking at the wider shares for linear kids' channels, and extrapolating from the 5000 viewers thing, it's difficult to make a compelling case for any of them - CBeebies included, which surely must be well under 100k viewers.

Problem is, I really can't see how free, ad-driven streaming where you are forced to sit through minutes of commercials at the start of every show), from a brand that increasingly means nothing to younger viewers anyway is going to do much better. 

It's all a far cry from the days when a successful ITV kids' show was getting over three million viewers, that's for sure.

The terrestrial broadcasters still have the audience figures they do largely because of a legacy-induced habit among older viewers, a large part of which was derived from the after-school blocks on the two main channels. In twenty years I can't see young adults bothering with the BBC and especially ITV at all.
CBeebies peaked at like 300K every week (at least during lockdown), usually with Bluey being the most viewed.

RE: CITV is to close - thomalex - 14-03-2023

[Image: CITV-Logo-1998-2003.png]

This remains the best logo (and era) of CITV. What was that phone number again?