Pres Café
CITV is to close - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: CITV is to close (/showthread.php?tid=384)

RE: CITV is to close - Tola - 04-05-2023

From looking, it's mainly imports and such that are being rolled out - not sure what will happen to already UK made shows that are already on the CITV Channel (How reboot and Don't Unleash The Beast) but I suspect they might move new eps to the ITVX Kids service when launched or the ITV2 strand

RE: CITV is to close - JMT1985 - 04-05-2023

(04-05-2023, 05:08 PM)Tola Wrote:  From looking, it's mainly imports and such that are being rolled out - not sure what will happen to already UK made shows that are already on the CITV Channel (How reboot and Don't Unleash The Beast) but I suspect they might move new eps to the ITVX Kids service when launched or the ITV2 strand

Remember ITV1 has plenty of hours at the weekend breakfast time to fill, so I guess any new home made kids shows will be placed there. 

They could provide a basic block of programming on ITV2 on weekdays, but I doubt they will bother, as ITVX seems now to be the dumping ground for everything.

RE: CITV is to close - cable - 05-05-2023

(04-05-2023, 05:08 PM)Tola Wrote:  From looking, it's mainly imports and such that are being rolled out - not sure what will happen to already UK made shows that are already on the CITV Channel (How reboot and Don't Unleash The Beast) but I suspect they might move new eps to the ITVX Kids service when launched or the ITV2 strand

They were partly funded through the YACF which has since ended. It really depends if ITV sees any commercial sense developing further series of these. It's sad that things like the advertising recessions, junk food, HFSS has removed commercial incentives to create original UK production for ages 6-16 comported to its late 90s/early 00s heyday.

You never see a wide range of genres anymore. E.g. You never see any gameshows in the guise of 50/50 get your own back or fun house (CITV also had Pump It Up and Twister, Scratch and Sniffs Den of Doom) these days, participations physically against peers. Drama is a rarity but that might have evolved over time into family shows. It's a shame they didn't link with Nintendo and have a gameshow based around Splatoon. They had a show sponsored by Robinsons fruit shoot at one time, seems a shame they didn't do this with other companies.. Factual shows are narrower in focus usually science based, before you have shows about video games and Money management, sports shows tend to focus of elite groups, live action comedy and drama are seemingly too expensive.

RE: CITV is to close - Neil Jones - 05-05-2023

(05-05-2023, 07:04 PM)cable Wrote:  You never see a wide range of genres anymore. E.g. You never see any gameshows in the guise of 50/50 get your own back or fun house (CITV also had Pump It Up and Twister, Scratch and Sniffs Den of Doom) these days, participations physically against peers. Drama is a rarity but that might have evolved over time into family shows. It's a shame they didn't link with Nintendo and have a gameshow based around Splatoon. They had a show sponsored by Robinsons fruit shoot at one time, seems a shame they didn't do this with other companies.. Factual shows are narrower in focus usually science based, before you have shows about video games and Money management, sports shows tend to focus of elite groups, live action comedy and drama are seemingly too expensive.

The problem here is, YouTube has largely taken over as a source for that sort of factual content (or relatively factual with a pinch of salt it probably should be added), and for YouTube purposes can be done pretty much as a one man operation. Even something like How 2 requires a production team who have this strange concept of wanting to be paid for making the show. Yes you'll probably get a better show, but it will cost more money to make.

Physical gameshows aren't cheap either. Somebody has to design and build a set, somebody has to play test the entire format and somebody has to find the contestants. Even if you just built a game format around dodgem cars on a fairground somewhere, you'll still have to pay to rent that attraction, after all they are private companies at the end of the day...

And let's be honest, Pump It Up (and to an extent Twister) were just reincarnations of old formats. Twister was made by STV who made Funhouse for years and it was pretty much Fun House in new packaging (and not as good either). Pump It Up was just the end game of Run The Risk stretched out to 25 minutes or so in chunks, and very reminiscent of those big inflatable balls you can get into.

Like pretty much all commercial operators, everybody goes for the lowest common denominator programming - maximum profit for minimum outlet. If an episode of a programme can be slapped together for a five digit sum (which is relatively cheap in TV terms) and you can make that back in ad revenue, so much the better.

RE: CITV is to close - Brekkie - 05-05-2023

There may be more opportunities for branded partnerships online than on linear TV thanks to different regulations.

RE: CITV is to close - interestednovice - 05-05-2023

(04-05-2023, 06:36 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  

Remember ITV1 has plenty of hours at the weekend breakfast time to fill, so I guess any new home made kids shows will be placed there. 

They could provide a basic block of programming on ITV2 on weekdays, but I doubt they will bother, as ITVX seems now to be the dumping ground for everything.
I’m sure they will, as the ex-GMTV (ITV Breakfast) licence still contains children’s programming obligations. As such, it’s an easy win to dump some kids shows on a Saturday and Sunday morning, when they don’t do GMB anyway. It complies with the licence, but also allows them to point to an ostensibly high-profile linear outlet in response to criticism of the ITVX streaming-first approach.

(05-05-2023, 07:58 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  
(05-05-2023, 07:04 PM)cable Wrote:  You never see a wide range of genres anymore. E.g. You never see any gameshows in the guise of 50/50 get your own back or fun house (CITV also had Pump It Up and Twister, Scratch and Sniffs Den of Doom) these days, participations physically against peers. Drama is a rarity but that might have evolved over time into family shows. It's a shame they didn't link with Nintendo and have a gameshow based around Splatoon. They had a show sponsored by Robinsons fruit shoot at one time, seems a shame they didn't do this with other companies.. Factual shows are narrower in focus usually science based, before you have shows about video games and Money management, sports shows tend to focus of elite groups, live action comedy and drama are seemingly too expensive.

Physical gameshows aren't cheap either.  Somebody has to design and build a set, somebody has to play test the entire format and somebody has to find the contestants.  Even if you just built a game format around dodgem cars on a fairground somewhere, you'll still have to pay to rent that attraction, after all they are private companies at the end of the day...
I wonder if they ever planned a kids version on ninja warrior. They have those waterparks and indoor theme activities and they are about to show the American kids version. They at least would have had the set. Also a kids version of I'm a celebrity set in the welsh castle, they could go nuts with slime and have less elaborate trials.

I remember shake on channel 5, they had No Girls Aloud that had games based around finding keys in a barn of hay and some inflatable obstacle course made foamy by a fire engine. Cheap entertainment but shows like in for a penny shows you can take something cheap and put some glitz and glam into it. Some sort of hidden prank show like stitch up seems to have not been done in a long time.

RE: CITV is to close - Hybrid - 05-05-2023

(05-05-2023, 08:22 PM)cable Wrote:  
(05-05-2023, 07:58 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Physical gameshows aren't cheap either.  Somebody has to design and build a set, somebody has to play test the entire format and somebody has to find the contestants.  Even if you just built a game format around dodgem cars on a fairground somewhere, you'll still have to pay to rent that attraction, after all they are private companies at the end of the day...
I wonder if they ever planned a kids version on ninja warrior. They have those waterparks and indoor theme activities and they are about to show the American kids version. They at least would have had the set. Also a kids version of I'm a celebrity set in the welsh castle, they could go nuts with slime and have less elaborate trials.
A lot of ITV's primetime entertainment could be re-formatted for kids. The Chase, Saturday Night Takeaway, one of the numerous Harry Hill panel shows, Tipping Point... hell, I'm pretty certain The Voice Kids and Ninja Warrior UK actually did air on CITV for their first few series.

(05-05-2023, 09:03 PM)Hybrid Wrote:  
(05-05-2023, 08:22 PM)cable Wrote:  I wonder if they ever planned a kids version on ninja warrior. They have those waterparks and indoor theme activities and they are about to show the American kids version. They at least would have had the set. Also a kids version of I'm a celebrity set in the welsh castle, they could go nuts with slime and have less elaborate trials.
A lot of ITV's primetime entertainment could be re-formatted for kids. The Chase, Saturday Night Takeaway, one of the numerous Harry Hill panel shows, Tipping Point... hell, I'm pretty certain The Voice Kids and Ninja Warrior UK actually did air on CITV for their first few series.

Nickelodeon in the US even readapted spotless for kids. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_It_Spotless 

TV Burp got repeated on Cartoon Network and Cannonball was based on a NPO App programme - Bommetje!

RE: CITV is to close - Neil Jones - 05-05-2023

(05-05-2023, 09:03 PM)Hybrid Wrote:  
(05-05-2023, 08:22 PM)cable Wrote:  I wonder if they ever planned a kids version on ninja warrior. They have those waterparks and indoor theme activities and they are about to show the American kids version. They at least would have had the set. Also a kids version of I'm a celebrity set in the welsh castle, they could go nuts with slime and have less elaborate trials.

Harry Hill's Shark Infested Custard was a thing. Which only lasted one series. Although it seems up for debate whether the whole lot went out or not, as for some reason according to Wiki it was looped halfway through the run. Anyway it was never seen again until Cartoon Network picked it up years later for some reason. Not one of Hill's better projects by his own standards.

I don't think Voice Kids or Ninja Warrior appeared on CITV Channel, the latter had a lot of repeats at all hours of the day and night (and network) - there are a few Ninja Warrior style "shows" on YouTube (America seems quite good at this sort of thing), and the other obvious example of a so-called "junior version" of a prime time show was Gladiators back in the 90s, and of course Crystal Maze via the Christmas specials.

That aside, the "junior" versions don't really last; they tend to be a passing fad, as the Gladiators spin off was (two series IIRC) although all the faffing around they did with the adult version's format probably didn't help. Just because it could be done doesn't mean it has to be done, and doesn't mean it would work either. Again - costs.