Pres Café
CITV is to close - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: CITV is to close (/showthread.php?tid=384)

RE: CITV is to close - Brekkie - 23-05-2023

I think that was always clearly the case.

RE: CITV is to close - Rex - 23-05-2023

(23-05-2023, 11:34 AM)WillPS Wrote:  "ITV2 will continue to show a range of ITVX Kids programmes in a new breakfast time slot."

Seems to indicate that the CITV brand won't be used for this strand.

Not surprised that they will do away with the CITV brand, the breakfast slot is there to push ITVX

RE: CITV is to close - WillPS - 23-05-2023

(23-05-2023, 11:36 AM)Rex Wrote:  
(23-05-2023, 11:34 AM)WillPS Wrote:  "ITV2 will continue to show a range of ITVX Kids programmes in a new breakfast time slot."

Seems to indicate that the CITV brand won't be used for this strand.

Not surprised that they will do away with the CITV brand, the breakfast slot is there to push ITVX

It's there to fulfil a breakfast franchise license obligation. Whether or not they are ever sufficiently motivated to eliminate that I don't know, but I can't see much pushback when and if they do.

RE: CITV is to close - Ash101 - 23-05-2023

(23-05-2023, 11:41 AM)WillPS Wrote:  
(23-05-2023, 11:36 AM)Rex Wrote:  Not surprised that they will do away with the CITV brand, the breakfast slot is there to push ITVX

It's there to fulfil a breakfast franchise license obligation. Whether or not they are ever sufficiently motivated to eliminate that I don't know, but I can't see much pushback when and if they do.

I'm not quite across how this obligation is filled right now? Does the CITV Channel count, or is it the simulcasts on ITV1 at the weekend?

RE: CITV is to close - L1_ - 23-05-2023

(23-05-2023, 03:34 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  
(23-05-2023, 11:41 AM)WillPS Wrote:  It's there to fulfil a breakfast franchise license obligation. Whether or not they are ever sufficiently motivated to eliminate that I don't know, but I can't see much pushback when and if they do.

I'm not quite across how this obligation is filled right now? Does the CITV Channel count, or is it the simulcasts on ITV1 at the weekend?
AIUI, the 06.00 - 09.25 slot on the CITV Channel is actually controlled by ITV Breakfast, all a relic from the old GMTV2 being a seperate franchise. This and the ITV1 weekend block will presumably meet some franchise obligatios regarding childrens programmes.

RE: CITV is to close - nwtv2003 - 23-05-2023

If anything the weekend breakfast slot on ITV1, is a relic from the main GMTV franchise itself. But from CITV Channel’s inception, it was simulcast on GMTV on weekends.

I’m not sure if there was eve ran obligation for GMTV2 to provide kids programmes, the station itself existed as GMTV were claiming space on the D3&4 MUX in the same same way Carlton, Granada, UNM, STV and UTV were for the second ITV channel at that time. The only reason we never saw GMTV’s 3 and 4 is because ITV came to an agreement with the likes of STV, UTV and GMTV which saw ITV plc take total control of the space on D3&4.

GMTV2 as it was died a few months before GMTV did when ITV took control of GMTV outright. At that time it was simulcasting CITV on ITV4 during breakfast hours. The only viewers benefiting were those in Wales watching on DTT that couldn’t access CITV Channel.

RE: CITV is to close - CCFG - 23-05-2023

As I understand the Media Bill announced in March means that neither ITV or ITV Breakfast (ex-GMTV) have any children's obligations. I would say that the ITV1 and ITV2 blocks could be dropped in about a year or so.

RE: CITV is to close - Roger Darthwell - 23-05-2023

(23-05-2023, 04:22 PM)CCFG Wrote:  As I understand the Media Bill announced in March means that neither ITV or ITV Breakfast (ex-GMTV) have any children's obligations. I would say that the ITV1 and ITV2 blocks could be dropped in about a year or so.

Is this going to pave the way to Good Morning Britain on weekends? Also another question, I am wondering who is going to but CITV's frequencies and channel space on all the platforms

RE: CITV is to close - JAS84 - 23-05-2023

It would make sense for Pop to get the Freeview slot. They have three kids channels but one of them, Pop Max is only available on Freeview in certain regions (is it just Manchester?), though it's on Sky nationally. The other two, Pop and Tiny Pop, are already available nationally I think.

RE: CITV is to close - CCFG - 23-05-2023

(23-05-2023, 05:00 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  It would make sense for Pop to get the Freeview slot. They have three kids channels but one of them, Pop Max is only available on Freeview in certain regions (is it just Manchester?), though it's on Sky nationally. The other two, Pop and Tiny Pop, are already available nationally I think.

Pop Max closed on Freeview in May of last year, and was on the G-MAN (which is available to 55% of Greater Manchester) multiplex at the time of it's closure, it was largely superseded by the launch of a Pop Player streaming channel on COM4/SDN which contains all the output of Pop Max. 

Pop itself is on COM6/ArqB and Tiny Pop is on the Local TV multiplex. I think ITV will use the bandwidth left over by CITV's closure with an extended ITV3 +1 (which currently timeshares with CITV on Freeview only. It also shares with the placeholder channels ITV4 +1 and ITVBe +1, which both only broadcast for an hour every night.)