Pres Café
CITV is to close - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: CITV is to close (/showthread.php?tid=384)

RE: CITV is to close - WillPS - 23-05-2023

(23-05-2023, 04:08 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  If anything the weekend breakfast slot on ITV1, is a relic from the main GMTV franchise itself. But from CITV Channel’s inception, it was simulcast on GMTV on weekends.

I’m not sure if there was eve ran obligation for GMTV2 to provide kids programmes, the station itself existed as GMTV were claiming space on the D3&4 MUX in the same same way Carlton, Granada, UNM, STV and UTV were for the second ITV channel at that time. The only reason we never saw GMTV’s 3 and 4 is because ITV came to an agreement with the likes of STV, UTV and GMTV which saw ITV plc take total control of the space on D3&4.

GMTV2 as it was died a few months before GMTV did when ITV took control of GMTV outright. At that time it was simulcasting CITV on ITV4 during breakfast hours. The only viewers benefiting were those in Wales watching on DTT that couldn’t access CITV Channel.

If the obligation didn't exist, there's no way ITV would have kept up the pretence by simulcasting CITV on ITV4 until CITV was available nationwide, and now putting together a strand on ITV2.

The only slightly confusing thing is why they're doing it on ITV2 now, and not one of their other digital channels.

RE: CITV is to close - CCFG - 23-05-2023

(23-05-2023, 06:44 PM)WillPS Wrote:  If the obligation didn't exist, there's no way ITV would have kept up the pretence by simulcasting CITV on ITV4 until CITV was available nationwide.

And they didn't. GMTV2 on ITV4 ended around May/June 2010. CITV didn't re-enter Freeview in Wales until January 2012.

RE: CITV is to close - nwtv2003 - 23-05-2023

My original point which I appreciate I could have better worded, any obligation would’ve been GMTV’s claim to a bit of digital space on the second ITV channel, as it were. Essentially their claim to this ended the day ITV bought Disney’s share out of GMTV.

RE: CITV is to close - Tola - 23-05-2023

IRRC, the addition of the CITV Channel on Freeview in Wales was due to a change in the forward error correction, which is what made the channel inaccessible to viewers over there unless they could receive transmissions from England.

RE: CITV is to close - CCFG - 23-05-2023

(23-05-2023, 07:51 PM)Tola Wrote:  IRRC, the addition of the CITV Channel on Freeview in Wales was due to a change in the forward error correction, which is what made the channel inaccessible to viewers over there unless they could receive transmissions from England.

Yes, I think at the time COM4/SDN (which was and still is the multiplex CITV was/is on) switched from 2/3 FEC to 3/4 FEC. The legacy of the CITV Channel being unavailable in Wales on Freeview began in February 2008 when CITV moved into a slot on COM4/SDN following ITV4 going 24/7. I believe CITV went into the former ABC1 slot (which was coincidentally 06:00 - 18:00, so perfectly matched CITV's broadcast hours at the time) that wasn't available to viewers in Wales due to the appearance of S4C or S4C2 (and/or later, E4). Previously, CITV was on PSB2/D3&4 timesharing with ITV4 which caused some problems originally. Setanta Sports used the slots on Sundays for Football from launch until around early 2007 with CITV services going off around lunchtime and CITV services being restored around mid-afternoon (I believe usually around any time between 14:30 and 17:00). Then later in 2007, ITV4 began to use extra hours to broadcast sports coverage so that meant CITV would close around 12:30 on weekends and would not be restored for the rest of the day. The Setanta Sports issue was unique to Freeview, the early cut-off of CITV at 12:30 on weekends I believe affected all platforms.

RE: CITV is to close - WillPS - 24-05-2023

(23-05-2023, 09:20 PM)CCFG Wrote:  
(23-05-2023, 07:51 PM)Tola Wrote:  IRRC, the addition of the CITV Channel on Freeview in Wales was due to a change in the forward error correction, which is what made the channel inaccessible to viewers over there unless they could receive transmissions from England.

Yes, I think at the time COM4/SDN (which was and still is the multiplex CITV was/is on) switched from 2/3 FEC to 3/4 FEC. The legacy of the CITV Channel being unavailable in Wales on Freeview began in February 2008 when CITV moved into a slot on COM4/SDN following ITV4 going 24/7. I believe CITV went into the former ABC1 slot (which was coincidentally 06:00 - 18:00, so perfectly matched CITV's broadcast hours at the time) that wasn't available to viewers in Wales due to the appearance of S4C or S4C2 (and/or later, E4). Previously, CITV was on PSB2/D3&4 timesharing with ITV4 which caused some problems originally. Setanta Sports used the slots on Sundays for Football from launch until around early 2007 with CITV services going off around lunchtime and CITV services being restored around mid-afternoon (I believe usually around any time between 14:30 and 17:00). Then later in 2007, ITV4 began to use extra hours to broadcast sports coverage so that meant CITV would close around 12:30 on weekends and would not be restored for the rest of the day. The Setanta Sports issue was unique to Freeview, the early cut-off of CITV at 12:30 on weekends I believe affected all platforms.

Nice reminder that CITV has been way down the list of priorities for ITV for a very long time!

RE: CITV is to close - Brekkie - 24-05-2023

That was 15 odd years ago. Up until recently it was pretty heavily advertised on ITV1 though perhaps unsurprisingly the ads have become less prominent lately.

RE: CITV is to close - WillPS - 27-05-2023

(24-05-2023, 10:12 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  That was 15 odd years ago.  Up until recently it was pretty heavily advertised on ITV1 though perhaps unsurprisingly the ads have become less prominent lately.
I think we're probably working from different definitions of 'pretty heavily advertised'. Occasional trails. There was a big push for Little Be when that launched.

RE: CITV is to close - CCFG - 30-05-2023

(23-05-2023, 09:20 PM)CCFG Wrote:  Yes, I think at the time COM4/SDN (which was and still is the multiplex CITV was/is on) switched from 2/3 FEC to 3/4 FEC. The legacy of the CITV Channel being unavailable in Wales on Freeview began in February 2008 when CITV moved into a slot on COM4/SDN following ITV4 going 24/7. I believe CITV went into the former ABC1 slot (which was coincidentally 06:00 - 18:00, so perfectly matched CITV's broadcast hours at the time) that wasn't available to viewers in Wales due to the appearance of S4C or S4C2 (and/or later, E4). Previously, CITV was on PSB2/D3&4 timesharing with ITV4 which caused some problems originally. Setanta Sports used the slots on Sundays for Football from launch until around early 2007 with CITV services going off around lunchtime and CITV services being restored around mid-afternoon (I believe usually around any time between 14:30 and 17:00). Then later in 2007, ITV4 began to use extra hours to broadcast sports coverage so that meant CITV would close around 12:30 on weekends and would not be restored for the rest of the day. The Setanta Sports issue was unique to Freeview, the early cut-off of CITV at 12:30 on weekends I believe affected all platforms.

Adding to this, I missed some one-off instances around 2006/2007. These were usually not as time-cut heavy as the 12:30 cut-off, but still pretty bad. These range from closing 25 minutes early (17:35) to closing 3 hours early (15:00).

Found them in these DS threads:
https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/comment/14316647#Comment_14316647 
https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/comment/11098243#Comment_11098243 

RE: CITV is to close - Brekkie - 30-05-2023

Was a sensible use of the space. BBC3 has had a fix 7pm start when being able to start just 15 minutes early some times would make sense when they have a live event kicking off at 7pm on the dot.