Pres Café
CITV is to close - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: CITV is to close (/showthread.php?tid=384)

RE: CITV is to close - LouBlu08 - 20-08-2023

(20-08-2023, 05:26 PM)WillPS Wrote:  "CITV celebrated its 30th anniversary in January, with an "Old Skool" schedule of programmes throughout the weekend."

That was in 2013...

Do these tabloids actually do their research?
I looked at a Mirror article on the closedown earlier and they said the channel was “hugely popular”. It might have been back in the day but now only like, what, 2 people are actually watching it.

RE: CITV is to close - Neil Jones - 20-08-2023

The Daily Fail has picked the story up and is already using words like "beloved" and "iconic" with regards to the closure of the channel.

Then shoot themselves in the foot when they say "CITV was the brand first used in 1983", except it wasn't that at all it was the longer term but common mistake so I may forgive them that... They also have a picture of the ITV logo. The one ITV stopped using in 2018.

Then to illustrate the piece they have Michael Underwood, Holly Willoughby and Stephen Mulhern. None of these people have had anything to do with that strand for at least the last 15 years. They also seem to suggest Art Attack started in 2006, and that Jungle Run is one of the best shows CITV ever made.

Wonderful journalism. Not.

(20-08-2023, 07:00 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  The Daily Fail has picked the story up and is already using words like "beloved" and "iconic" with regards to the closure of the channel.

Then shoot themselves in the foot when they say "CITV was the brand first used in 1983", except it wasn't that at all it was the longer term but common mistake so I may forgive them that...  They also have a picture of the ITV logo.  The one ITV stopped using in 2018.

Then to illustrate the piece they have Michael Underwood, Holly Willoughby and Stephen Mulhern.  None of these people have had anything to do with that strand for at least the last 15 years.  They also seem to suggest Art Attack started in 2006, and that Jungle Run is one of the best shows CITV ever made.

Wonderful journalism.  Not.
I’m honestly starting to think they’re using a robot to generate these stories.

RE: CITV is to close - Andrew - 20-08-2023

(20-08-2023, 07:00 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  The Daily Fail has picked the story up and is already using words like "beloved" and "iconic" with regards to the closure of the channel.

Then shoot themselves in the foot when they say "CITV was the brand first used in 1983", except it wasn't that at all it was the longer term but common mistake so I may forgive them that...  They also have a picture of the ITV logo.  The one ITV stopped using in 2018.

Then to illustrate the piece they have Michael Underwood, Holly Willoughby and Stephen Mulhern.  None of these people have had anything to do with that strand for at least the last 15 years.  They also seem to suggest Art Attack started in 2006, and that Jungle Run is one of the best shows CITV ever made.

Wonderful journalism.  Not.
It’s like when Neighbours was axed. That was beloved and there were loads of memories but nobody had watched it for about 20 years

It’s notable that all the CITV memories in these articles seem to hark from when it was a strand on ITV rather than a stand alone channel

RE: CITV is to close - SunburntRock89 - 20-08-2023

(20-08-2023, 07:10 PM)LouBlu08 Wrote:  I’m honestly starting to think they’re using a robot to generate these stories.

I wouldn't put it past them - a gaming site was tricked by a few Reddit posts about a new character coming to World of Warcraft.

The AI even included a quote from the reddit post.

Quote:‘Honestly, this new feature makes me so happy! I just really want some major bot operated news websites to publish an article about this.’

The article:
https://archive.ph/4mOWr 

(20-08-2023, 07:18 PM)Andrew Wrote:  It’s like when Neighbours was axed. That was beloved and there were loads of memories but nobody had watched it for about 20 years

It’s notable that all the CITV memories in these articles seem to hark from when it was a strand on ITV rather than a stand alone channel
To be fair, I don’t think many people using social media nowadays would really have much of a connection to a current CITV show unless they had kids watching it (and even then, I doubt they’d really care). If you stuck an image of a show they’d remember watching, it would generate a lot more clicks. That’s how the news business works, right?
That and quite a lot of Twitter people who do the whole “Oh no CITV is closing that was my childhood” thing only really use shows they grew up watching, cause… well I don’t think they were around for Mission Employable.

(20-08-2023, 07:30 PM)SunburntRock89 Wrote:  I wouldn't put it past them - a gaming site was tricked by a few Reddit posts about a new character coming to World of Warcraft.

The AI even included a quote from the reddit post.

The article:
https://archive.ph/4mOWr 
The entire article is literally just a ChatGPT generation. Not fooling me.

RE: CITV is to close - XIII - 20-08-2023

They announced it was closing ages ago, this is not new or surprising.

RE: CITV is to close - Allanbuzzy - 20-08-2023

It doesn't surprise me that when people talk about CITV, it's usually from like mere decades ago, and the audience this is meant to be aimed at couldn't care less, since they probably aren't watching CITV in the first place and I strongly doubt those audiences even use ITVX in the first place.

Says a lot when ITV relied heavily on junk food promotions in the 2000s and are now realising making original programming for it is expensive, so instead are relying on imports from Cartoon Network. Speaking of, if I'm being honest, the closure of CITV might result in WBD (owners of CN) taking the slot and replacing it with Boing, their FTA offering internationally, or Nickelodeon swoops in to move into FTA but all of these are just speculation and reality might just be it's slot being used for a time shift ITV service.

RE: CITV is to close - JAS84 - 20-08-2023

Yeah, we just didn't know the exact date of the closure. Just a vague "after the summer holidays".

I've only ever tuned in to the CITV channel for one show - Thunderbirds Are Go, which was one of it's rare home based commissions as opposed to imports. That's the kind of show these retrospectives should be talking about. Not stuff that aired before the channel launched on ITV1.

RE: CITV is to close - Technologist - 20-08-2023

The 10th March no less
https://www.itv.com/presscentre/media-releases/itv-supercharge-kids-offering-itvx 
And the guardians reaction
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/10/citv-channel-to-close-itv-childrens-television-online-only 
They seem more in the ball than the tabloids!