Pres Café
CITV is to close - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: CITV is to close (/showthread.php?tid=384)

RE: CITV is to close - eyeTV - 10-03-2023

It's not the original versions of those shows, both are animated versions I understand.

RE: CITV is to close - Brekkie - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 12:26 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Not a surprise, they don't seem to make much it it, its not really promoted and the promos are all just generic 'on CITV' endboards.
I'd say it's quite heavily promoted myself - along with ITVBe it's the channel you see promoted most on ITV1.

RE: CITV is to close - Roger Darthwell - 10-03-2023

I think that this tweet sums up my entire feelings about hearing this news:
https://twitter.com/DigeeTheGenie/status/1634168018375782400 

RE: CITV is to close - CCFG - 10-03-2023

This news came as a surprise to me, because before this news, CITV was (in my opinion) at it's strongest point since 2005. While yes, alot of the content is still repeats & imports, I feel like original commissions were at it's highest point on CITV since ITV shut down 'Granada Kids' in 2006.

RE: CITV is to close - Technologist - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 11:49 AM)eyeTV Wrote:  I would think this would need Ofcom approval and some further guarantee on future investment in children's programming.
Why ? it’s not PSB channel …
and OFCOM seems to reduce non BBC PSB obligations all round in any case…
….. and there are no “kids” requirement on itv
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0023/71960/itv-london-weekday-attachment-variation.pdf 

In all seriousness though I do have a question, given that Sky has recently Launcher their own linear kids channel, which Is Sky Kids, It really makes me wonder if Sky Is going to seize the opportunity and make their channel available on Freeview. Given that now both ITV and the BBC are closing their kids linear TV channels, this would give Sky a huge boost

RE: CITV is to close - Rex - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 11:49 AM)eyeTV Wrote:  I would think this would need Ofcom approval and some further guarantee on future investment in children's programming.

Absolutely not. CITV isn't a public service and constitutes as a commercial channel like the rest of ITV's offshoot services. Bottom line; if it doesn't make money, why continue to invest in it? If Ofcom were involved, the ITV News Channel wouldn't have been closed as swiftly as it was back in 2005, and it would take a longer process for ITV to build up their multichannel presence. 

Besides, it hasn't been a huge surprise that the channel is being switched off for a myriad of reasons:
- ITV is going all in with ITVX being a one stop shop for everything ITV, even children's programming
- CITV was completely ignored in the November 2022 rebrand. ITV pushed back plans for a refresh for 2023, which we now know is a streaming-first approach.
- Cross channel promotion has been minimal for several years now
- CITV rates extremely low for ITV. It's an outlier from all of ITV's offshoots (which consistently rate well) It's lost a significant portion of its audience where they are opting to watch on-demand instead of tuning into the channel.

At least they are offering some consolation by turning back time and giving some airtime to children's programming on ITV2. Reminds me of the days of GMTV2/Action Stations.

RE: CITV is to close - James2001 - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 02:37 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  In all seriousness though I do have a question, given that Sky has recently Launcher their own linear kids channel, which Is Sky Kids, It really makes me wonder if Sky Is going to seize the opportunity and make their channel available on Freeview. Given that now both ITV and the BBC are closing their kids linear TV channels, this would give Sky a huge boost

Does seem interesting that Sky have launched a linear kids channel while Disney, ITV and the BBC are closing theirs. Makes you wonder if they know something the others don't.

(10-03-2023, 02:45 PM)James2001 Wrote:  
(10-03-2023, 02:37 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  In all seriousness though I do have a question, given that Sky has recently Launcher their own linear kids channel, which is Sky Kids, It really makes me wonder if Sky is going to seize the opportunity and make their channel available on Freeview. Given that now both ITV and the BBC are closing their kids linear TV channels, this would give Sky a huge boost

Does seem interesting that Sky have launched a linear kids channel while Disney, ITV and the BBC are closing theirs. Makes you wonder if they know something the others don't.

My personal opinion is that Sky still believes in the value of linear TV and that they rightfully believe that the best solution for the future is a combined linear TV & on demand presence, and this is the correct strategy. Streaming & Linear TV should coexist, NOT one replacing the latter

RE: CITV is to close - Kunst - 10-03-2023

(10-03-2023, 02:48 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  
(10-03-2023, 02:45 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Does seem interesting that Sky have launched a linear kids channel while Disney, ITV and the BBC are closing theirs. Makes you wonder if they know something the others don't.

My personal opinion is that Sky still believes in the value of linear TV and that they rightfully believe that the best solution for the future is a combined linear TV & on demand presence, and this is the correct strategy
Sky probably also have the money the others don't.

After an initial shock, this news doesn't come exactly as a big surprise, anyway