Pres Café
CITV is to close - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: CITV is to close (/showthread.php?tid=384)

RE: CITV is to close - tellyblues - 29-08-2023

(29-08-2023, 11:48 AM)WillPS Wrote:  Almost like it's not a viable thing, you might say... CITV leaving weekday afternoons on ITV1 didn't create a vacuum for others to rush in to like axing News at Ten did; even back then when digital takeup was far from complete. It was perhaps a little bit premature, but not enough that anyone wanted to do anything other than follow their lead.

Five already had a healthy afternoon schedule and, after several misfires, so too did ITV1. There was no incentive to trade in those lucrative audiences for the far less lucrative (and far more rapidly depleting) childrens ones - especially after junk food advertising bans came in.

There was also the theory that children and young adults could get whatever they wanted online so conveniently almost all content aimed at those ages was abandoned. Curiously, make the same argument about cooking, interior design etc being available online and its different somehow.

RE: CITV is to close - sky303 - 30-08-2023

(29-08-2023, 11:36 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I never quite understood why the children's channels aired during the dayv (or overnight for that mattter).  I know home school is a thing but realistically the bulk of the core audience would have been at school - and they aren't going to air those channels in their linear fashion - unless Dennis The Menace and Gnasher is "educational" , which I doubt somehow.

After school okay, but once you get past 10pm its diminishing returns surely?  Unless they're doing the "loaded advert" thing in their peak periods and going all night with few (or no) adverts...

The home ill from school crowd? They might have a small adult audience who might be home watching cartoons and etc. for comfort instead of the other channels, not that would be a large audience factor.  Maybe it was good for recording, before catchup became more robust? CITV going off at 6 and CBBC going off at 7, record some programmes from daytime to run after 6/7pm before bedtime?    But that is different compared to the US where  Nickelodeon and Disney Channel run programming for pre-school aged children in the hours then around 2 or 3pm switch to older children, then do older children programmes all weekend and expand during summer to run them longer.

RE: CITV is to close - Hybrid - 30-08-2023

(30-08-2023, 01:41 AM)sky303 Wrote:  But that is different compared to the US where  Nickelodeon and Disney Channel run programming for pre-school aged children in the hours then around 2 or 3pm switch to older children, then do older children programmes all weekend and expand during summer to run them longer.
CITV was like that during 2006-2013 with the Little CITV and Mini CITV blocks. Even after that they still used that same pre-school strategy for another two years albeit unbranded.

RE: CITV is to close - MorganLamia - 30-08-2023

(28-08-2023, 09:37 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Whereas for people of my generation next week is 25 years since SM:TV began....

and 30 years since Live & Kicking...

Even the Ministry of Mayhem will be 20 in January.

Why? Why must you do this to us? 💀

RE: CITV is to close - Bennyboy84 - 30-08-2023

Well I suppose it could be said that at least they waited until pretty much the end of the summer holidays to close it, imagine the backlash if they closed it at the beginning!

RE: CITV is to close - WillPS - 30-08-2023

(30-08-2023, 11:04 AM)Bennyboy84 Wrote:  Well I suppose it could be said that at least they waited until pretty much the end of the summer holidays to close it, imagine the backlash if they closed it at the beginning!

I imagine it would have been 'a bit'. The cynic in me thinks it might have more to do with getting the summer toy/back to school advertising period booked and sold, and then binning off ahead of the pre-Christmas lul in Sept/Oct.

RE: CITV is to close - interestednovice - 30-08-2023

(30-08-2023, 02:24 AM)Hybrid Wrote:  CITV was like that during 2006-2013 with the Little CITV and Mini CITV blocks. Even after that they still used that same pre-school strategy for another two years albeit unbranded.
Even now, they still execute a very similar strategy really - just with CITV and LittleBe now separate, to avoid kids associating one with the other. I believe some research revealed that older kids didn’t like content for young children on “their service” while parents felt more secure with content for young children on a dedicated strand/channel so they could be easily assured it was age-appropriate.

It’s the same reason the BBC separated out CBBC, CBeebies and (arguably) BBC Three. Part of the original BBC Three closure proposals were an extension to CBBC’s broadcasting hours to attract a teen/tween audience but this never really worked as the older part of the demographic wouldn’t watch a “kids channel”. Hence BBC Three being brought back and now attempting to target a slightly younger audience to fill the gap between CBBC and other services.

RE: CITV is to close - DJ Dave - 30-08-2023

They did have a Telly Tots stand in the 1998 era plus and before Telly Tots they had like a yellow area of the studio to do pre-school stuff before the older stuff started.

RE: CITV is to close - WillPS - 30-08-2023

(30-08-2023, 10:47 PM)DJ Dave Wrote:  They did have a Telly Tots stand in the 1998 era plus and before Telly Tots they had like a yellow area of the studio to do pre-school stuff before the older stuff started.

Yes, CITV were actually ahead of the game on this by separating it out in to a substrand, a process CBBC didn't start until their 2001 mini-refresh; and Five eventually went the other way creating Shake for older childrens content.

There was a period there of a few years where CITV was doing some really interesting stuff.

RE: CITV is to close - iloveTV1 - 30-08-2023

CBBC programming during the day always stood out in the 2010s as it was never clear who it was targeting. Until about 2018 they mainly showed repeats of shows that weren’t in production anymore, looking at a schedule from September 2013 they had Tracy Beaker which ended in 2005, Copycats which originally ended in 2012 (before coming back briefly in 2016), and Bear Behaving Badly which ended in 2010 (and was repeated about 40 times during the school day according to its programme page).

In 2018 it shifted and they started showing whole series in order, I.E. a whole series of The Dumping Ground would air over a few days, probably to create a boxset on iPlayer, but after COVID it seems they’ve reverted back to showing multiple programmes during the day, although, in the morning at least, there does seem to be an educational backbone (Operation Ouch, Horrible Histories, Deadly 60 etc.)