Pres Café
CITV is to close - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: CITV is to close (/showthread.php?tid=384)

RE: CITV is to close - Brekkie - 31-08-2023

Is Bitesize the only explicitly "schools" programme they make now?

RE: CITV is to close - Josh - 31-08-2023

As a remnant of the lockdown provision, yes, although I don't believe any new episodes have been commissioned since 2022.

RE: CITV is to close - DJ Dave - 31-08-2023

(18-08-2023, 11:19 PM)Johnr Wrote:  My sister was on the 'next series' of the 1% Club (already filmed several months ago) and I'm sure she mentioned something about November as a potential air date

(30-08-2023, 10:55 PM)WillPS Wrote:  Yes, CITV were actually ahead of the game on this by separating it out in to a substrand, a process CBBC didn't start until their 2001 mini-refresh; and Five eventually went the other way creating Shake for older childrens content.

There was a period there of a few years where CITV was doing some really interesting stuff.

Yes, I always thought they should have done a Telly Tots Channel and jump in before the BBC launched their 2 channels.

RE: CITV is to close - ckck1704 - 31-08-2023

I bet any money citv will close with the same back in the morning message tomorrow.

RE: CITV is to close - LouBlu08 - 31-08-2023

Can't wait for the news headlines to state that "children are utterly confused about CITV's closure" come Saturday morning.

Personally while I am a bit saddened by the closure, the writing has been on the wall for a while. The channel's been stuck on autopilot for the last 3 years or so, they did nothing for the brand's 40th anniversary, they aired the Queen's funeral while Channel 5 was busy pushing The Emoji Movie, there was no rebrand when every other ITV channel got one last year, add on the closure of the Young Audiences Content Fund, incredibly poor ratings, and a fancy new streaming platform (which is just your old one with a new name and some bells and whistles added), and you have a recipe for a channel that, from a business perspective, has hardly a purpose to exist anymore.
I belive that the new ITV2 kids block has made the closure of the channel less devastating. If they didn't make the content available to watch in one way that isn't internet-dependent, I belive there would be a right to get even more angry
I probably won't shed a tear when it closes (I've hardly watched CITV since 2018 or so, last time I watched it was for some pirate Scooby-Doo movie when I was at a hotel earlier in the year), but this is still a bit of an upset towards many kids, parents, and people who worked on the content airing on the channel.

RE: CITV is to close - Bennyboy84 - 31-08-2023

I’m betting that it’ll just quietly end, no big sign off or anything.

RE: CITV is to close - itvblocks - 31-08-2023

Mentioned this on a YouTube video, but it seems like CITV is going with their usual schedule for tomorrow.

What would've been nice (although considering they didn't do anything for the brand's 40th anniversary it's not surprising they didn't go for it) was a day where CITV showcased their older shows (i.e. Horrid Henry, Tots TV, Art Attack, Sooty.etc) because surely there's gonna be older viewers who will see out the channel on the box.

Even with the writing being on the wall, it would've been nice if ITV did something to see out the channel and it looks like CITV is going to bow out with no proper fanfare, such a shame really.

RE: CITV is to close - GeeTeeKay474 - 01-09-2023

(31-08-2023, 12:02 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Is Bitesize the only explicitly "schools" programme they make now?

I think so, and also the brand is only used on the Bitesize Daily episodes now after that it goes back to CBBC.

RE: CITV is to close - Tola - 01-09-2023

https://www.tvforum.co.uk/tvhome/citv-channel-saturday-showdown-19270 
Thought it would be worth bringing this thread up again

RE: CITV is to close - Brekkie - 01-09-2023

(31-08-2023, 11:07 PM)itvblocks Wrote:  Mentioned this on a YouTube video, but it seems like CITV is going with their usual schedule for tomorrow.

What would've been nice (although considering they didn't do anything for the brand's 40th anniversary it's not surprising they didn't go for it) was a day where CITV showcased their older shows (i.e. Horrid Henry, Tots TV, Art Attack, Sooty.etc) because surely there's gonna be older viewers who will see out the channel on the box.

Even with the writing being on the wall, it would've been nice if ITV did something to see out the channel and it looks like CITV is going to bow out with no proper fanfare, such a shame really.
Not really - makes no sense to turn it into a nostalgia channel and show content it's target audience have no interest in on the last day.   What they should be doing is pushing the ITVX Kids service hard today and signposting the ITV2 slot too.